1. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 22:57
    Originally posted by Paul Dirac II
    Are you willing to quantify that to any degree?

Will the Second Coming have happened before the passage of another...
    100 years?
    1,000 years?
    10,000 years?
    I believe it will be less than 50 years, perhaps as soon as 20, maybe even less. We'll have many other clues before it gets real close, though. But I realize that this is just 'my' opinion.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 23:08
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    I personally believe that God speaks to no one in these latter days (even believers(even Popes, or other 'Prophets' )). The world is endemic with sin. It is truly "as in the days of Noah". We're in the 'latter days'... the end is nigh. Everything we've a need to know is covered in the Bible. Believers have the Holy Spirit to guide them in their growth. ...[text shortened]... , send messages through his 'messengers', or angels, on occasion, usually in times of dire need.
    Why do you believe this? That God speaks to no one in these latter days.
    Kelly
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    05 Jan '14 23:161 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Why do you believe this? That God speaks to no one in these latter days.
    Kelly
    Does He have a reason to? There is far too much sin in the world.
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 00:531 edit
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Learning the Word of God involves our rational capacities; emotions are designed for appreciation.
    Are you able to discern how far along the path of "rightly dividing the Word" you are, Bob?

I remember a Sunday school teacher telling us that Noah's flood was a literal, global event. Bill O'Reilly on the other hand takes that story as "allegory." Are you able to cleanly classify it as one or the other based on your study of God's word?
  5. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 02:06
    Are you able to discern how far along the path of "rightly dividing the Word" you are, Bob?

I remember a Sunday school teacher telling us that Noah's flood was a literal, global event. Bill O'Reilly on the other hand takes that story as "allegory." Are you able to cleanly classify it as one or the other based on your study of God's word?
    Bill O'Reilly is a celebrated author, not a man who has been given the spiritual gift of pastor/teacher (pastor: local church authority; and teacher: an academic/communication gift given for the function of systematically feeding the flock from the original languages of the Old & New Testament). Job: Study and Teach. I believe in the literal truth of God's Inspired Word:

"And the Lord said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation. 2 Of every clean beast thou shalt take to thee by sevens, the male and his female: and of beasts that are not clean by two, the male and his female. 3 Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female; to keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth. 4 For yet seven days, and I will cause it to rain upon the earth forty days and forty nights; and every living substance that I have made will I destroy from off the face of the earth. 5 And Noah did according unto all that the Lord commanded him. 6 And Noah was six hundred years old when the flood of waters was upon the earth."

7 And Noah went in, and his sons, and his wife, and his sons’ wives with him, into the ark, because of the waters of the flood. 8 Of clean beasts, and of beasts that are not clean, and of fowls, and of every thing that creepeth upon the earth, 9 there went in two and two unto Noah into the ark, the male and the female, as God had commanded Noah. 10 And it came to pass after seven days, that the waters of the flood were upon the earth.

11 In the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, in the second month, the seventeenth day of the month, the same day were all the fountains of the great deep broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened. 12 And the rain was upon the earth forty days and forty nights. 13 In the selfsame day entered Noah, and Shem, and Ham, and Japheth, the sons of Noah, and Noah’s wife, and the three wives of his sons with them, into the ark; 14 they, and every beast after his kind, and all the cattle after their kind, and every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind, and every fowl after his kind, every bird of every sort. 15 And they went in unto Noah into the ark, two and two of all flesh, wherein is the breath of life. 16 And they that went in, went in male and female of all flesh, as God had commanded him: and the Lord shut him in.

17 And the flood was forty days upon the earth; and the waters increased, and bare up the ark, and it was lift up above the earth. 18 And the waters prevailed, and were increased greatly upon the earth; and the ark went upon the face of the waters. 19 And the waters prevailed exceedingly upon the earth; and all the high hills, that were under the whole heaven, were covered. 20 Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered. 21 And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man: 22 all in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died. 23 And every living substance was destroyed which was upon the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark. 24 And the waters prevailed upon the earth an hundred and fifty days." Genesis 7:1-24 (AKJV)
  6. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 02:25

Beats the poop out of me, PD II. lol Seriously, it's all about Epignosis: receiving, processing, assimilating and applying Bible Doctrine to any and all aspects of life. Specifically, the Greek Koine Concept communicates the process of using building blocks to construct a complex. Here it's an edification complex in the soul built with assimilated Bible Doctrine. I listen daily.
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 02:352 edits
    17 And the flood was forty days upon the earth; and the waters increased, and bare up the ark, and it was lift up above the earth... and the mountains were covered.
    If you ever have an hour or two available for study of the matter, read this webpage--

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/faq-noahs-ark.html

Just to select one point from it:
    "Ice cores from Greenland have been dated back more than 40,000 years by counting annual layers. A worldwide flood would be expected to leave a layer of sediments, noticeable changes in salinity and oxygen isotope ratios, fractures from buoyancy and thermal stresses, a hiatus in trapped air bubbles, and probably other evidence. Why doesn't such evidence show up?"

Even if you don't have that much time, you could take half a minute to pray a prayer like this one:
    "Lord, the consequences of people doubting Your Holy Word are an eternity in Hell. That is so grotesquely horrible that surely it behooves You to work with people, not against them, to help them see that Your Word is absolutely true. I ask that You change the evidence in nature so that from January 5, 2014 onward it will stop pointing away from Your Word--as is the case with ice cores and varves--and will begin to point toward Your Word as being completely reliable and never misleading. In the name of Jesus, amen."

Bob, would you let me know that you prayed this prayer and you are confident the Lord will make it so? Or else preach me a little sermon on why that prayer would be unacceptable to your God.
  8. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 03:324 edits
    Late Dinner's waiting. Thanks for today.
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '12
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 03:391 edit
    Late Dinner's waiting. Thanks for today.
    Likewise, thank you.

I know from experience that my mini debates with various sorts of believers never get them out of their belief system, and never cause me to start believing the way they do. It will be no different this time.................. But even so, I enjoy the give and take. 🙂
  10. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 05:29
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Does He have a reason to? There is far too much sin in the world.
    How would I know if God has a reason to do anything? With respect to sin
    in the world, sorry but that does not stop God from speaking. Sin has been
    dealt with by Christ. Since sin was dealt with by Jesus Christ, that would not
    stop God from speaking.

If you have a reason, I'm still listening.
    Kelly
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 05:571 edit
    If you ever have an hour or two available for study of the matter, read this webpage--

"Ice cores from Greenland have been dated back more than 40,000 years by counting annual layers. A worldwide flood would be expected to leave a layer of sediments, noticeable ...[text shortened]... e it so? Or else preach me a little sermon on why that prayer would be unacceptable to your God.
    This talkorigins.org is an atheist based website. Don't be deceived by them.

http://www.trueorigin.org/to_deception.asp
  12. Standard memberSoothfast
    Planet Rain
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 06:05
    [b]The Great White Throne Judgment (Revelation 20:11-15 NASB)

"If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire." Revelation 20:15*

"This is the saddest and most sobering passage in all of Scripture. Remember our Lord wept over death (John 11:35; Luke 19:41) - both physical death ...[text shortened]... y that some of my acquaintances and friends who contribute to this forum may be among them. -Bob[/b]
    Our house has three white thrones. All made of porcelain.
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 08:07
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby (OP)
    The Great White Throne Judgment (Revelation 20:11-15 NASB)

"If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire." Revelation 20:15*

"This is the saddest and most sobering passage in all of Scripture. Remember our Lord wept over death (John 11:35; Luke 19:41) - both physical death and especially the spiritual death (the second death) of all the unsaved, of all those who reject Him and His saving love offered at the cross. "As surely as I live, declares the Sovereign LORD, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that they turn from their ways and live. Turn! Turn from your evil ways!" (Ezek. 33:11) Thus no man should be able to read or teach this passage without sorrow in his heart, if not tears in his eyes. The reason Jesus spoke about hell more than anyone else did is because He wanted no one to go there. "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." (2 Peter 3:9; also see John 3:16) Yet, we see here and throughout the Bible, both the reality of hell, eternal torment, and the justice of hell.

"Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. Earth and sky fled from his presence, and there was no place for them." The next scene John saw was the great white throne with the Lord Jesus Christ sitting upon it. This is based on John 5:22: "Moreover, the Father judges no one, but has entrusted all judgment to the Son, that all may honor the Son just as they honor the Father." (Also see John 5:22-29 that speaks of the resurrection of the saved and the unrepentant and 2 Tim. 4:1.) At this point in this unfolding revelation, all those saved, Old and New Testament saints, Tribulation saints, and by implication, Millennial saints, have all received their resurrected, glorified bodies and thus belong to the new creation (2 Cor. 5:17) as God is about to destroy the old creation, the heavens and the earth (v.11).

"By the same word the present heavens and earth are reserved for fire, being kept for the day of judgment and destruction of ungodly men. But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness." (See 2 Peter 3:7-13) "Since the coming of the Lord is in fact the end of the natural universe (2 Pet. 3:10-13), we read that there was found no place for them (v. 11), making way for a new heaven and a new earth to occupy the place left vacant by their dismissal" (21:1).Gregg, Steve: Revelation, Four Views : A Parallel Commentary. Nashville , Tenn. : T. Nelson Publishers, 1997. Satan and his demons have defiled the heavens (Eph. 6:12) and the earth is polluted and sin-soaked with the evil of fallen man. God's new creation will not just be a renovation and renewal as seen in the Millennium but an entirely new heaven and new earth. Science says that matter cannot be created or destroyed but God does both as seen here and in Genesis 1.

"And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life." What a scary and awe-filled scene like the one Daniel describes in his vision (Dan. 7: 9-10). It seems that all unsaved people from Cain to the last rebel we see in the Millennium are all together standing before the Lord Jesus ready to be judged based on their works (and books were opened) and sentenced by the Judge of all. Scripture says no one is righteous, no one keeps the law and no one is saved by works of righteousness (e.g., See Rom. 3-4) because even our best deeds are as filthy rags [menstrual rags] compared to the pure white perfect righteousness of God (Isa. 64:6). The righteousness that God requires for a person to be saved is the perfect righteousness a righteous God is required to require. (Matt. 5:48) Thus the only way to be saved is by grace (God's undeserved forgiveness and favor) through faith (in what God in Christ did for us on the cross when He took the punishment for all of our sins and credited us with His perfect righteousness), and not by works (Eph. 2:8-10; 2 Cor. 5:21)."

http://www.kenboa.org/text_resources/teaching_letters/lens_mens_fellowship/6640

* "If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire." It grieves me to realize there's the possibility that some of my acquaintances and friends who contribute to this forum may be among them. -Bob
  14. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 08:30
    Are you willing to quantify that to any degree?

100 years?
    1,000 years?
    10,000 years?
    "Are you willing to quantify that to any degree?

100 years?
    1,000 years?
    10,000 years?"

The Return of Christ (Mark 13:24-37 NASB)

24. “But in those days, after that tribulation, the sun will be darkened and the moon will not give its light, and the stars will be falling from heaven, and the powers that are in the heavens will be shaken. Then they will see the Son of Man coming in clouds with great power and glory. And then He will send forth the angels, and will gather together His elect from the four winds, from the farthest end of the earth to the farthest end of heaven.

28. “Now learn the parable from the fig tree: when its branch has already become tender and puts forth its leaves, you know that summer is near. Even so, you too, when you see these things happening, recognize that He is near, right at the door. Truly I say to you, this generation will not pass away until all these things take place. Heaven and earth will pass away, but My words will not pass away. But of that day or hour no one knows, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.

33. “Take heed, keep on the alert; for you do not know when the appointed time will come. It is like a man away on a journey, who upon leaving his house and putting his slaves in charge, assigning to each one his task, also commanded the doorkeeper to stay on the alert. Therefore, be on the alert—for you do not know when the master of the house is coming, whether in the evening, at midnight, or when the rooster crows, or in the morning— in case he should come suddenly and find you asleep. 37 What I say to you I say to all, ‘Be on the alert!’”
  15. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    06 Jan '14 13:52

"Ice cores from Greenland have been dated back more than 40,000 years by counting annual layers. A worldwide flood would be expected to leave a layer of sediments, noticeable ...[text shortened]... e it so? Or else preach me a little sermon on why that prayer would be unacceptable to your God.
    Isn't that cute?

You consider yourself wise enough to deduce the salient points--- the tipping points, if you will--- as they relate to the issue of faith, and you zero in on... speculation about the age of the planet?

While your 'reasoned' approach is commendable, you're not even in the field of play yet. The age of the earth is inconsequential, since the best guess we have (from both empirical evidence and Scriptural testimony) is that it's really, really, really old.

From your writings up to this point, it appears as though you are ready to filter out the gnatReveal Hidden Content
    age of the planet
    while swallowing the camel wholeReveal Hidden Content
    accepting a gap-laden speculation regarding life's origins.

If the believer is persuaded of a younger-than-it-really-is age of the earth, you're going to reject his spiritual message? Why not simply reject his science? The message God has isn't scientific in nature; it is spiritual.

Either you are going to stand confident in your own work, or you will exchange your goodness for the goodness He offers, free of charge.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree