1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 Feb '13 21:15
    Originally posted by Rank outsider
    Really? Would you have thought that likely 10 years ago?
    ten years ago same-sex marriage was on the cards ... no crystal ball required.

what is surprising is that it is a Conservative motion

says more about the changing face of Conservatism in UK than social trends
  2. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '13 21:151 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Some gays are getting married now days. I wounder if that is another sign we are entering the last days. 😲
    Maybe. There may be hidden forces in play. For example, in an underpopulated ancient mideast agrarian tribal society, population growth was valued, and anything that might reduce it, like homosexuality taking the place of heterosexuality, would become taboo.

As we approach 7 billion people and begin to put stress on the planet, anything that might reduce population growth might become more acceptable.

But if it doesn't help because it is resisted by the cultural throwbacks to the early agrarian tribes, the end times might be nearer than we think. Too much hetero sex, especially without birth control, might be a disaster.

But all will eventually balance out.
  3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    11 Feb '13 21:23
    Really? Would you have thought that likely 10 years ago?
    To be honest, I think the gubbamint's dragged it's feet a bit, I thought this would happen during the 90s.
  4. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    11 Feb '13 22:271 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59

Yes, that was my point.
  5. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    11 Feb '13 22:29
    Originally posted by avalanchethecat
    To be honest, I think the gubbamint's dragged it's feet a bit, I thought this would happen during the 90s.
    Yes I agree.

It was the Conservative bit I was trying to make a point about.

Weird also because more than half the Conservatives voted against their own party's motion.
  6. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    11 Feb '13 23:511 edit
    Weird also because more than half the Conservatives voted against their own party's motion.
    Actually not weird. It was a "free vote" which means the Party Whips were
    withdrawn and MPs were allowed to vote governed by their own conscience and
    not Party Policy. I'm surprised that only half voted against - but as I
    indicated before the Conservative party has changed.
  7. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    12 Feb '13 04:02
    Originally posted by RBHILL...That is slightly evolved.

Just don't have sex outside of marriage and you will be fine gay or straight.[/b]
    Originally posted by RBHILL...That is slightly evolved.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Feb '13 04:32
    Originally posted by wolfgang59

It says more about the changing homosexual demographic over the last 10 years.
  9. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    12 Feb '13 04:53
    Originally posted by divegeester
    It says more about the changing homosexual demographic over the last 10 years.
    Or an increasing sense of tolerance and fair mindedness on the part of the society as a whole, like all political parties the conservatives are opportunistic by nature.
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Feb '13 06:11
    Originally posted by kevcvs57
    Or an increasing sense of tolerance and fair mindedness on the part of the society as a whole, like all political parties the conservatives are opportunistic by nature.
    There is definitely more tolerance towards homosexuals which has led to an increased confidence in 'coming out' (for want of a better phase), increased social presence and ultimately voting power. You are correct, all parties are opportunistic when it comes to popular opinion; another way of looking at it could be the power of democracy in action, although I wouldn't go that far myself.
  11. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    12 Feb '13 07:22
    I was raised to be anti-gay. Kinda proud to over come.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    12 Feb '13 07:31
    Originally posted by apathist
    I was raised to be anti-gay. Kinda proud to over come.
    Was it a tough journey to change your mind?
  13. SubscriberDrewnogal
    Constant Gardener
    The Plot
    Moves
    12 Feb '13 07:45

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

14. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '13 08:11
    Originally posted by stellspalfie
    ive always wondered why god gives teenagers very high sex drives but doesnt equip them with the decision making ability to make good decisions. this seems to lead to all sorts of health risks for young people. why didnt god synchronize sexual urges with the development of the brain?
    in the beginning, when you were likely to be eaten by tigers before 20, it made sense you get started to making babies as soon as you are able.
  15. Subscriberkevcvs57
    Flexible
    The wrong side of 60
    Moves
    12 Feb '13 08:43
    Originally posted by divegeester
    There is definitely more tolerance towards homosexuals which has led to an increased confidence in 'coming out' (for want of a better phase), increased social presence and ultimately voting power. You are correct, all parties are opportunistic when it comes to popular opinion; another way of looking at it could be the power of democracy in action, although I wouldn't go that far myself.
    I think it is more profound than that, just as people in general have come to realise that the tooth fairy is not real, they have also shrugged off the BS they were fed about homosexuality being a danger to society.

It is not the Gay vote that the Tories are courting but the vast majority of the electorate who do not have a bee up their ass about homosexuality and do not align themselves politically with those that do.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree