1. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Mar '18 19:58
    I created a thread a while ago about how I felt God (or at least 'the idea' of God) was holding us back as a species.

I'll happily concede that faith gives strength, comfort and hope to those who have it, but such a reliance on a divine force to 'lift us up' seriously impedes our shared human enterprise of 'rising up' of our own accord.

How much faster would we have progressed as a species without God holding us back?
  2. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Mar '18 20:04
    Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
    I created a thread a while ago about how I felt God (or at least 'the idea' of God) was holding us back as a species.

I'll happily concede that faith gives strength, comfort and hope to those who have it, but such a reliance on a divine force to 'lift us up' seriously impedes our shared human enterprise of 'rising up' of our own accord.

How much faster would we have progressed as a species without God holding us back?
    As “God” doesn’t exist [sic] your question is mute, as it is only ourselves and our imaginations holding us back. Any attack on “God” is therefore an attack on ourselves.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Mar '18 20:11
    Originally posted by @divegeester
    As “God” doesn’t exist [sic] your question is mute, as it is only ourselves and our imaginations holding us back. Any attack on “God” is therefore an attack on ourselves.
    Well to be fair, it's an attack on 'those humans' who have wasted energy on such a non-existent deity, energy they could have re-directed more productively to advanced the human race as a whole.
  4. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Mar '18 20:181 edit
    Well to be fair, it's an attack on 'those humans' who have wasted energy on such a non-existent deity, energy they could have re-directed more productively to advanced the human race as a whole.
    Just one important question:
    If the Gospel were true would you become a Christian?

Yes?
    No?
  5. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Mar '18 20:311 edit
    Originally posted by @sonship

Yes?
    No?
    Yes.

Proceed with your point. (And OP relevance).
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Mar '18 20:451 edit
    Yes.

Proceed with your point. (And OP relevance).
    You answered my question and I have no other point.

You would give your life to the Lord Jesus is you could be persuaded that the Gospel message is truth.

What more could I ask?
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Mar '18 20:512 edits
    To the OP.

I think the point God has made to us is that we STARTED ... STARTED with the assumption that we could outgrow God.

Adam and Eve clearly got it into their heads that human beings could outgrow any need for God. The rest is history.

However, I do find it fascinating that God alloted human kind eons to see how he could do. And in the process many many things man discovered, made, erected, developed which indeed did show that man had something intrinsically marvelous in his makeup.

I don't think we will ever be able to tell God that we didn't have a chance to give it our best shot.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Mar '18 20:531 edit
    Do you have some statistical evidence on how theists have contributed to advancing civilisation vs atheists have contributed to advancing civilisation?
  9. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    09 Mar '18 20:591 edit

Another question:

Could you have advanced much further had your mother not held you back from, let's say, the moment you were conceived in her womb? I mean, at least she slowed you down for about nine months.

Wouldn't you be further along had she not interfered?
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    09 Mar '18 21:33

Yes?
    No?
    Gospel is true in my universe , no need to peg myself as Christian
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Mar '18 21:34
    Originally posted by @karoly-aczel
    Gospel is true in my universe , no need to peg myself as Christian
    What do you mean by “gospel”?
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    09 Mar '18 21:411 edit

God does not hold back anyone. Peoples false interpretation of who and what God is and what is required of them is the problem. Using the Bible stories as examples, the people in there who believed in God were the most industrious, hardworking and progressive people. Those people had it right God was with them and they worked hard.

Unfortunately there came a new breed of God-fearing people in recent times who are led astray by false doctrines. These are the do-nothing I have the Holy Spirit and Im saved, kind of people. These are the types of people who sit on their laurels waiting and hoping for the world to end.

God likes the first type. The second type will be cast into the lake of fire.
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Mar '18 21:44
    Do you have some statistical evidence on how theists have contributed to advancing civilisation vs atheists have contributed to advancing civilisation?
    No.

Point is, if God doesn't exist (and I don't believe He does) then generation after generation of theists have wasted time poring over religious texts and the like, distracting them from more productive uses of their time.
  14. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    09 Mar '18 21:47

Another question:

Could you have advanced much further had your mother not held you back from, let's say, the moment you were conceived in her womb? I mean, at least she slowed you down for about nine months.

Wouldn't you be further along had she not interfered?
    You can do better than this sonship.

When I log in tomorrow I expect a better question.

😏
  15. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    09 Mar '18 21:57
    What do you mean by “gospel”?
    The often reffered to but mostly misunderstood one

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree