The human need to outgrow God

The human need to outgrow God

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Mar 18
6 edits

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
Sorry sonship but the Noah flood story is a terrible example to tender. Why you would do that is beyond me. (Unless we were discussing divine acts of genocide).

Quite the contrary. This event took place in the time before the institution of human government. The society was in the positive sense an anarchy. From the fall of Adam until the flood God allowed man to be governed only by his conscience.

As if God said -
"Let's see how you do if I just allow you by private conscience to regulate yourselves." This was a true libertarian society free from human government.

The gradual degradation declined into an intolerable situation in which the thoughts and imagination of people was only evil continually. Violence and murder escalated until God had to judged.

He had been striving with men by His Spirit on their consciences to no avail.
" And Jehovah God said, My Spirit will not strive with men forever for he indeed is flesh; so his days will be one hundred twenty years." (Gen. 6:3)

The evil wisdom gained by longevity did not work for society's good but more for its ruination.

The demonstration of the downward trend of godless man had fully ripened. [my bolding below]

"And the earth was corrupt before God, and the earth was filled with violence.

And God looked on the earth, and behold, it was corrupt, for all flesh had corrupted its way upon the earth.

And God said to Noah, The END of all flesh has come before Me, for the earth is filled with violence because of them; and now I am about to destroy them with the earth." (Genesis 6:11-13)

Also the deep occult was in operation to the point that in some strange way the very inwards of some of mankind had been mutated.

"The Nephilim were on the earth in those days - and also afterwards - when the sons of God came in to the daughters of men, and they gave birth to children to them; these were the mighty men who were of old the men of renown." (Gen 6:4)

God provided proof of the degrading slope downward into hellish evil that resulted in men being left only to their conscience and the conviction of God's Spirit to repent.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
11 Mar 18

Originally posted by @sonship
Sorry sonship but the Noah flood story is a terrible example to tender. Why you would do that is beyond me. (Unless we were discussing divine acts of genocide).

Quite the contrary. This event took place in the time before the institution of human government. The society was in the positive sense an anarchy. From the fall of Adam until t ...[text shortened]... esulted in men being left only to their conscience and the conviction of God's Spirit to repent.
Russel Crowe?

I told you he was a Kiwi. 🙂

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Mar 18

Quite the contrary. This event took place in the time before the institution of human government. The society was in the positive sense an anarchy. From the fall of Adam until t ...[text shortened]... esulted in men being left only to their conscience and the conviction of God's Spirit to repent.
"Quite the contrary. This event took place...."

Let me stop you there. The 'event' did not take place. There is absolutely no evidence of a flood that encompassed the Earth. (Just local floods that remain commonplace). Thus, when we extract the fiction from the narrative, we are left only with a story of divine horror that should fill you with shame, not inspire you to tender it as an example relevant in a thread about the human need to outgrow God.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Mar 18

Atheism is only a temporary stop along the way to Satan worship.
Atheists don't believe in God 'or' Satan. Why on Earth would we ever worship either?!

Another reason perhaps humanity needs to outgrow God and put an end to this childlike way of thinking and eradicate ancient myth from our thinking process.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Mar 18

Originally posted by @great-king-rat
Actually, that question makes a lot more sense, since it effectively translates as would you choose to live forever. Yes, I would.

Sonships's question (or rather, Frank Turek's question) in comparison makes absolutely no sense.

I'm just wondering if our spiritually challenged friend actually considers it a profound question.
A while back I awoke in the early hours of the morning with an amazing idea for a novel and fervently scribbled it down on the notepad I keep by the bed. The next morning however I was gravely disappointed when I read what I had written. Sometimes, It seems, things that sound profound in your head in the dead of night don't translate well onto paper.

I'm sure sonship's question seemed profound in the confines of his own head, it just didn't maintain its integrity in its journey from his fingertips to his keyboard.

Moves
11 Mar 18
1 edit

Atheism is only a temporary stop along the way to Satan worship.
That’s a big statement that you’ve pulled straight out of your bottom.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
11 Mar 18

Originally posted by @divegeester
Actually he pulled it out of his head.
That tells you whats in there.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
11 Mar 18
1 edit

Let me stop you there.

Okay, But only for a brief moment. What do you have?

The 'event' did not take place. There is absolutely no evidence of a flood that encompassed the Earth. (Just local floods that remain commonplace).

I consider the possibility that a flood destroying "the world" that then was still took place.

" ... which world then, being flooded with water, perished." ( 2 Peter 3:6)

It is not hard for me to believe that what was considered the world by the people living at that time could have been completely inundated with a flood.

When I saw the photos of the tsunami in Indonesia it became more believable to me.

But you know I am a believer in God's word.
I absolutely trust that this event took place.
Exactly how large the planet area was effected, I may not know.

Thus, when we extract the fiction from the narrative, we are left only with a story of divine horror that should fill you with shame, not inspire you to tender it as an example relevant in a thread about the human need to outgrow God.

This is nonsensical talk to me.
My comments are brief this morning.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Mar 18

Let me stop you there.

Okay, But only for a brief moment. What do you have?

The 'event' did not take place. There is absolutely no evidence of a flood that encompassed the Earth. (Just local floods that remain commonplace).

I consider the possibility that a flood destroying [b]"the world"
that then was still t ...[text shortened]... o outgrow God. [/quote]

This is nonsensical talk to me.
My comments are brief this morning.[/b]
"My comments are brief this morning."

Invariably a good thing.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
11 Mar 18

A while back I awoke in the early hours of the morning with an amazing idea for a novel and fervently scribbled it down on the notepad I keep by the bed. The next morning however I was gravely disappointed when I read what I had written. Sometimes, It seems, things that sound profound in your head in the dead of night don't translate well onto paper ...[text shortened]... head, it just didn't maintain its integrity in its journey from his fingertips to his keyboard.
"The next morning however I was gravely disappointed when I read what I had written."

That's an understatement compared to the shock you'll experience when you're called to account for every word you ever spoke in this life.

You can deny that that event will occur, but that's irrelevant in the face of the self-evident fact that what we say in this life will be reflected in the next.

Can't imagine that can you?

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
11 Mar 18

Originally posted by @divegeester
There are only two kingdoms placed before us in this life. The kingdom of light, and the kingdom of darkness. No gray area. One either is a worshipper of God, or by default, one is ultimately a worshipper of the prince of darkness.

It's kind of a biblical no-brainer.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Mar 18

Originally posted by @secondson
[b]"The next morning however I was gravely disappointed when I read what I had written."

That's an understatement compared to the shock you'll experience when you're called to account for every word you ever spoke in this life.

You can deny that that event will occur, but that's irrelevant in the face of the self-evident fact that what we say in this life will be reflected in the next.

Can't imagine that can you?[/b]
I'm confident any benevolent deity will look favorably upon how I have lived my life and will not judge me too harshly for not being convinced of his existence.

Curious though you put all the focus on 'words' and not 'actions.'

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
11 Mar 18

I'm confident any benevolent deity will look favorably upon how I have lived my life and will not judge me too harshly for not being convinced of his existence.

Curious though you put all the focus on 'words' and not 'actions.'
"Curious though you put all the focus on 'words' and not 'actions.' "

Curious too that you appear to be unaware that the Bible says both things. Everyone, including Christians, will be judged based on both their words and works.

The difference being in the object of their faith.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Mar 18

Originally posted by @secondson
[b]"Curious though you put all the focus on 'words' and not 'actions.' "

Curious too that you appear to be unaware that the Bible says both things. Everyone, including Christians, will be judged based on both their words and works.

The difference being in the object of their faith.[/b]
If a God exists, it won't be the Christian God, so your Bible doesn't mean much to me.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
11 Mar 18

If a God exists, it won't be the Christian God, so your Bible doesn't mean much to me.
Then it's not logical for you to make objections since you're convinced by your excuses.