The Islamisation of Europe?

The Islamisation of Europe?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Apr 06
1 edit

Originally posted by lucifershammer
The Iranian Revolution of '79 would seem to invalidate your "sociological truth". The recent success of right-wing parties in Europe (and India, a few years back) would seem to invalidate your "sociological truth".

As I said, you're being simplistic.
Try actually reading what I said, dimwit. What the Iranian Revolution would have to do with the cultural assimilation of minority groups is beyond me. Please explain how it somehow "invalidates" my point (do you even know what my point is?).

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
20 Apr 06
1 edit

Yes. Poverty and illiteracy are not the only (or even main) factors driving extremism. In the case of Muslims, my own experience tells me it has a lot to do with US (and other allies'😉 foreign policy. There's also the general backlash against perceived hedonism.
I completely agree with you--but what has this got to do with the "Islamisation of Europe"? Why, too, are Muslims singled out for special attention, when there are so many other varieties of immigrant trying to enter the EU? (Another reason that your 9/11 example is such a red herring is that Europe is--apparently--under discussion here).

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Apr 06

Here's my point from page 3:

I made no universal claims. It's generally true that the wealthier people are the less religious they are and it's generally true that as a country gets richer it gets more secular. Both are true in Saudi Arabia and other Muslim countries which is why you see a Islamist Fundamentalist movement there, mirroring in ideology the Christian Fundamentalist movement here.

What "they" i.e. Muslims do is dependent on what millions of individual do. Contrary to your seeming assertion, there are Muslims who don't regard their religion as a centerpiece of their life. As they become more enmeshed in Western culture this trend will continue. And it will affect their children even more as they go to public schools. I've yet to see any instance in history where this assimilation process didn't take place to some degree.

The Iranian Revolution fits in how again?

s

Moves
20 Apr 06
1 edit

See the post just before yours.
I did. I saw it after I posted and I agreed with you.

Is it possible that despite growing up in a society where tolerance and religious freedom is encouraged you can turn into a fundamentalistic extremist? The only reason I can see is if you're at the same time indoctrinated through your family and friends to believe that secularism and tolerance with other cultures is a bad thing. Then you won't really absorb the education at school unless you're really intelligent, self-reliant and brave. It takes a lot of courage to go against your "good" family when it comes to things that are accepted by them but you feel is wrong.

l

London

Moves
20 Apr 06

Originally posted by no1marauder
Here's my point from page 3:

I made no universal claims. It's generally true that the wealthier people are the less religious they are and it's generally true that as a country gets richer it gets more secular. Both are true in Saudi Arabia and other Muslim countries which is why you see a Islamist Fundamentalist movement there, mirroring in i ...[text shortened]... s didn't take place to some degree.

The Iranian Revolution fits in how again?
The Iranian Revolution happened in a country that was probably the most Westernised, secular and wealthy country in the Middle East at the time. Even with Saudi Arabia and other Arab countries, it's not clear whether they will swing towards a more secularised culture or a more extreme one. These are exceptions to your "generally true" principle.

In Britain, which has a long history of immigration of Muslims, the Muslim community is heavily polarised. Of course, not every Muslim is a 7/7 bomber - but the level of sympathy for their motivations (if not their methods) would surprise you. The situation is not dissimilar in other European nations. Once again, these are exceptions to your "trend".

As I said before, your sociological model is too simplistic.

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
20 Apr 06

The Iranian Revolution happened in a country that was probably the most Westernised, secular and wealthy country in the Middle East at the time.
An oppressive dictatorship fits your concept of a Westernised country?

Zellulärer Automat

Spiel des Lebens

Moves
20 Apr 06

Originally posted by stocken
Is it possible that despite growing up in a society where tolerance and religious freedom is encouraged you can turn into a fundamentalistic extremist?
It's quite possible. You have to contract the virus of idealism. It's a terrible thing to see--perfectly normal, intelligent people turn into robots and march off to join whatever cult or cause meshes with their personal neuroses...

l

London

Moves
20 Apr 06

Originally posted by stocken
I did. I saw it after I posted and I agreed with you.

Is it possible that despite growing up in a society where tolerance and religious freedom is encouraged you can turn into a fundamentalistic extremist? The only reason I can see is if you're at the same time indoctrinated through your family and friends to believe that secularism and tolerance with oth ...[text shortened]... your "good" family when it comes to things that are accepted by them but you feel is wrong.
I generally don't like the word "indoctrination" - all of us are influenced to a greater or lesser extent by our culture, our family, our friends etc.

Even the secular ones.

Naturally Right

Somewhere Else

Moves
20 Apr 06

The Iranian Revolution happened in a country that was probably the most Westernised, secular and wealthy country in the Middle East at the time. Even with Saudi Arabia and other Arab countries, it's not clear whether they will swing towards a more secularised culture or a more extreme one. These are exceptions to your "generally true" principle.

In ...[text shortened]... exceptions to your "trend".

No, YOU are simplistic. So far all you've done is "what about Hitler" arguments. Your constant intellectuall shallowness and profound ignorance of history is truly staggering.

Iran was not, and is not, a "secular" nation. It had a secular ruler, which is a far different thing. Do you understand the difference? The Shah tried to shove a Westernized culture down the throat of an unwilling populace. That is the exact opposite of cultural assimilation in a Western secular nation.

Please try actually learning some history.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
20 Apr 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
There I was thinking we were talking about the egg-and-sperm race presented in that article.

Fanatics are tough to fathom. Wealth and education are no barrier to extreme ideology. Think about Patty Hearst--not to mention US citizens attempting to join Al Qaeda. Do you understand the fanatic temperament?
Wealth and education are no barrier to extreme ideology.

Too true.

Do you understand the fanatic temperament?

I've had my share of bump in’s with fundies (although these were Christian)

l

London

Moves
20 Apr 06

Originally posted by Bosse de Nage
An oppressive dictatorship fits your concept of a Westernised country?
On a comparative basis, yes.

s

Moves
20 Apr 06

In ...[text shortened]... exceptions to your "trend".

Again, I have to disagree with you in part. It's true that Iran at the time was secular as in no religion in politics. But it was far from a westernised country. There was no democracy and people were extremely opressed. Under those conditions (education or not) it's easy to see how people can turn to the other extreme (as, of course, they did).

I've known quite a few iranians who were there during or just before the revolution. They actually thought that bringing Khomeini to power would make for a much more stable, just and prospering Iran. The killing irony being that they are worse off now than they ever were before Khomeini. There's a new revolution brewing amongst the youth of Iran and hopefully they will be more inclined to spreading democracy and promoting religious and social freedom.

H
I stink, ergo I am

On the rebound

Moves
20 Apr 06

No, YOU are simplistic. So far all you've done is "what about Hitler" arguments. Your constant intellectuall shallowness and profound ignorance of history is truly staggering.

Iran was not, and is not, a "secular" nation. It had a secular ruler, which is a far different thing. Do you understand the difference? The Shah tried to shove a Westerni ...[text shortened]... similation in a Western secular nation.

And you are not "stacking the cards" with your selective rebuttals and scathing insults?

l

London

Moves
20 Apr 06
1 edit

Iran was not, and is not, a "secular" nation. It had a secular ruler, which is a far different thing. Do you understand the difference? The Shah tried to shove a Westerni ...[text shortened]... similation in a Western secular nation.

You can wave your double PhD in History any moment now...

The question of whether Iran was a "secular nation" (whatever that is) is irrelevant. You said:
It's generally true that the wealthier people are the less religious they are and it's generally true that as a country gets richer it gets more secular.

You said a nation would become secular by becoming richer - you weren't talking about nations that were already "secular".

Well, do you deny that Iran and Iranians got richer under the last Shah?

l

London

Moves
20 Apr 06

Originally posted by Halitose
And you are not "stacking the cards" with your selective rebuttals and scathing insults?
Maybe he's so frustrated at having to hold his tongue in court all day he takes it out on me here.