1. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    08 Oct '10 02:06
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    The premise for your defense of slavery is false. See the "Judaism and Slavery in the Biblical Era" thread.[/b]
    In your opinion, try restating that if you want my participation
  2. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    08 Oct '10 02:12
    Originally posted by caissad4
    So god allowed slavery here in the US until 1865? Those same passages were used for centuries to justify slavery. This begs the question: Since Abraham Lincoln did not claim to have received a message from your god changing divinely ordained slavery does he hold the title of "The Great Emancipator" or "The Great Satan"? In my life I have met people of both opinions.
    Deuteronomy 23:15-16---You shall not give back to his master the slave who has escaped from his master to you. He may dwell with you in your midst, in the place which he chooses within one of your gates, where it seems best to him; you shall not oppress him.

You will never understand what the bible says about slavery because you have a prejudice against the bible. If you want to understand, you need to be open minded, read contextually, and do your homework. Its not nearly as black and white as you would like to make it.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '10 02:171 edit
    Originally posted by duecer
    In your opinion, try restating that if you want my participation
    If you haven't noticed, the topic of this thread isn't "slavery". I started the other thread for that purpose, so that this thread as well as one or two others don't continue to be hijacked.

And it isn't just a matter of "opinion".
  4. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    08 Oct '10 02:20
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Isa 45:5 I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:
    6 That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.
    7 I form the light, and create darkness: [b]I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
    [/b]
    Well at least if all these believers won't decry slavery, their god at least admits to creating evil. Maybe someone should start a religion where they have a god who does good AND evil.
  5. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    08 Oct '10 02:23
    Well at least if all these believers won't decry slavery, their god at least admits to creating evil. Maybe someone should start a religion where they have a god who does good AND evil.
    Its called Hinduism
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '10 02:23
    Why would they decry slavery when they're only in it for what they delude themselves into believing they get?
  7. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    08 Oct '10 02:271 edit
    If you haven't noticed, the topic of this thread isn't "slavery". I started the other thread for that purpose, so that this thread as well as one or two others don't continue to be hijacked.

And it isn't just a matter of "opinion".
    actually yes it is a matter of opinion, unless of course God has given you divine inspiration and knowledge that the rest of aren't privy to. And this thread is just fine.
  8. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '10 02:31
    actually yes it is a matter of opinion, unless of course God has given you divine inspiration and knowledge that the rest of aren't privy to. And this thread is just fine.
    Any idea why so many people have such a low opinion of "Christians"?
  9. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    08 Oct '10 02:42
    Any idea why so many people have such a low opinion of "Christians"?
    So many? which ones? 1/3 of the world identifies as Christian, 1/5 as Muslim, and about 2.5% are atheists, so if you can combine the number of atheists and the number of Muslims who have a low opinion of Christians, I'd say the number world wide is a small fraction (most Muslims do not hate us). Hindus are generally accepting of other religions, and other world religions like Buddhism Jainism etc... are neutral to friendly . How does it feel to be in such a small minority?
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '10 02:484 edits
    So many? which ones? 1/3 of the world identifies as Christian, 1/5 as Muslim, and about 2.5% are atheists, so if you can combine the number of atheists and the number of Muslims who have a low opinion of Christians, I'd say the number world wide is a small fraction (most Muslims do not hate us). Hindus are generally accepting of other religions, and other wor ...[text shortened]... dhism Jainism etc... are neutral to friendly . How does it feel to be in such a small minority?
    Who said anything about "hatred"?

Here's someone who recognized the problem.
    "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

--Mahatma Gandhi

Besides, your logic is flawed. For example, I know plenty of Christians who have low opinions of other Christians - especially those of denominations other than their own.

And of course, you've totally missed the point, but what else is new?
  11. Standard memberduecer
    anybody seen my
    underpants??
    Moves
    08 Oct '10 02:561 edit
    Who said anything about "hatred"?

Here's someone who recognized the problem.
    "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

--Mahatma Gandhi

Besides, your logic is flawed. For example, I know plenty of Christians who have low opinions of other Christians - especially those of denominations other than their own.
    I also can imagine by even more anecdotal evidence that most people here have a low opinion of you, though there is a minute possibility that I am wrong

edit: and your feeble attempt at rebutting my response aside, my point still stands, most people do not have a low opinion of Christians, most atheist do, though one could argue whether they are actually people
  12. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    08 Oct '10 03:051 edit
    I also can imagine by even more anecdotal evidence that most people here have a low opinion of you, though there is a minute possibility that I am wrong

edit: and your feeble attempt at rebutting my response aside, my point still stands, most people do not have a low opinion of Christians, most atheist do, though one could argue whether they are actually people
    Many besides Christians who are afraid to face the truth about themselves and their religion?

What else is new? A Christian who has to create a straw man in an attempt to make their point. Who said anything about "most people"?

Your comment about atheists is a prime example of why so many have a low opinion. Do you think Jesus would have shared your opinion? What was it that Gandhi said again?
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Oct '10 07:051 edit
    Isa 45:5 I am the LORD, and there is none else, there is no God beside me: I girded thee, though thou hast not known me:
    6 That they may know from the rising of the sun, and from the west, that there is none beside me. I am the LORD, and there is none else.
    7 I form the light, and create darkness: [b]I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
    [/b]
    why don't you use a proper translation, one that you know, has 21st century English rather than like 1485 or whatever,

(Isaiah 45:5-7) 5 I am Jehovah, and there is no one else. With the exception of me there is no God. I shall closely gird you, although you have not known me,  in order that people may know from the rising of the sun and from its setting that there is none besides me. I am Jehovah, and there is no one else.  Forming light and creating darkness, making peace and creating calamity, I, Jehovah, am doing all these things.

i reject the assertion that God causes Evil, Why?

(James 1:13) . . .For with evil things God cannot be tried nor does he himself try anyone. . .

Once again a scripture taken out of context leads to a erroneous assertion, Look Raj! Is that a bird making a nest on your head? would you walk around with it on in your head? Is that an erroneous idea forming in your mind? would you walk around with it in your mind? well well, Bird Nest soup anyone?
  14. PenTesting
    Moves
    08 Oct '10 09:05
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    why don't you use a proper translation, one that you know, has 21st century English rather than like 1485 or whatever,

(Isaiah 45:5-7) 5 I am Jehovah, and there is no one else. With the exception of me there is no God. I shall closely gird you, although you have not known me,  in order that people may know from the rising of the sun and from its s ...[text shortened]... ng in your mind? would you walk around with it in your mind? well well, Bird Nest soup anyone?
    Bad things and evil things happen because God allows them to happen. When Satan did what he did to Job, he first got Gods approval. Satan can do nothing without Gods approval.

John 9:1 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.
    2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he was born blind?
    3 Jesus answered, Neither hath this man sinned, nor his parents: but that the works of God should be made manifest in him.

God does not need to you to defend Him and claim he does not cause evil. Isaiah clearly says God CREATES EVIL. Who are you to say otherwise? God creates, blindness, mental retardation, physical deformities and all physical ailments. And God allows all other evil things to happen by allowing them to happen when He can stop them.

You wont get brownie points by defending God.
  15. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    08 Oct '10 09:44
    Bad things and evil things happen because God allows them to happen. When Satan did what he did to Job, he first got Gods approval. Satan can do nothing without Gods approval.

[quote]John 9:1 And as Jesus passed by, he saw a man which was blind from his birth.
    2 And his disciples asked him, saying, Master, who did sin, this man, or his parents, that he ...[text shortened]... allowing them to happen when He can stop them.

You wont get brownie points by defending God.
    You need to be defending God, you who call yourself a Christian...Lol.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree