1. Standard memberredbadger
    Suzzie says Badger
    is Racist Bastard
    Moves
    16 Jun '15 15:00
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Amazing how you think you know the mind of a god. Especially since the bible was just written by men who INVENTED this god, made it in man's likeness so ordinary people could identify with it.

Amazing how well brainwashed you all are by a 3000 year old religion. Also amazing how you cherry pick what you want to believe and what you don't want to believe ...[text shortened]... is of course, that is written in stone for you, but you cherry pick out Leviticus, for instance.
    FROM THE BOOK OF RIGHT ON, Vince says Back of the net SONHOUSE shoots and scores Sonhouse 1 God 0
  2. Standard memberCalJustonline
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    16 Jun '15 19:121 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I did not see God saying He made a mistake in those three verses you quoted in the OP. God is just not happy with the way things are going, that's all.
    Then you do not understand plain English (or, for that matter, Hebrew).

Have you ever "repented from" or "regretted" something that was not a mistake on your part in hindsight? Something that you wished you had not done, and that you would make undone if you could?

This is exactly what those scriptures mean.
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    16 Jun '15 19:21
    Originally posted by CalJust

Have you ever "repented from" or "regretted" something that was not a mistake on your part in hindsight?
    I think it is possible to regret something indirectly.

For example, i might in hindsight regret making a beautiful sculpture that was used by somebody to commit a murder. Creating the sculpture in itself was not a mistake, but i might still regret having made it due to the way it was corrupted from its original purpose.
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    16 Jun '15 20:00
    Originally posted by redbadger
    FROM THE BOOK OF RIGHT ON, Vince says Back of the net SONHOUSE shoots and scores Sonhouse 1 God 0
    You haven't been watching the whole game! Sonhouse is way ahead!
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Jun '15 22:04
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Amazing how you think you know the mind of a god. Especially since the bible was just written by men who INVENTED this god, made it in man's likeness so ordinary people could identify with it.

Amazing how well brainwashed you all are by a 3000 year old religion. Also amazing how you cherry pick what you want to believe and what you don't want to believe ...[text shortened]... is of course, that is written in stone for you, but you cherry pick out Leviticus, for instance.
    You got it backwards. Holy scripture clearly says God created man in His own image.
    Christians have a new covenant because of Yahshua. The Jews are still trying to live up to the old covenant, but they keep failing.

HalleluYaHshua ! Praise the LORD!
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    16 Jun '15 22:16

Have you ever "repented from" or "regretted" something that was not a mistake on your part in hindsight? Something that you wished you had not done, and that you would make undone if you could?

This is exactly what those scriptures mean.
    Perhaps there was a mistake made on man's part. But God was very statisfied with his creation when it was all completed. God said it was all good. That does not sound like He thought it was a mistake to me.

The fact that He says that He "regretted" or "repented" of making man is not an admission that the idea of making man was a mistake. It just means He is showing His disappointment and frustration that most men have become so that that are continually thinking evil.

Notice He did not destroy all men, but just the evil ones.
  7. Standard memberCalJustonline
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    17 Jun '15 10:35
    Perhaps there was a mistake made on man's part.
    The fact that He says that He "regretted" or "repented" of making man is not an admission that the idea of making man was a mistake.
    You ignored my question. Let's try again.

Assume you make an investment, or buy an article. After a while, you found you bought the wrong thing (because it didn't work, say) or the investment bombed. You then say (quite rightly) "I'm sorry I did that, I should have rather done such-and-such". A pretty human condition.

Now God chose Saul - big fanfare and ceremony. After a while (recognising that Saul did a pretty good job for quite a long time) he seriously screwed up. So God said to Samuel: "I am really sorry I chose Saul in the first place. Please go and anoint somebody else as king".

Now tell me, how was this different from my scenario? How can you say that the text does NOT say that God admits that he made a mistake?

Please remember also that my whole point is NOT that God actually DID make a mistake! My point is that because I agree that God does NOT make mistakes, this passage (and others) gives a wrong impression of God, and that the author was actually incorrect, if a little over zealous in his explanation of a historical event.
  8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Jun '15 15:451 edit
    You ignored my question. Let's try again.

Assume you make an investment, or buy an article. After a while, you found you bought the wrong thing (because it didn't work, say) or the investment bombed. You then say (quite rightly) "I'm sorry I did that, I should have rather done such-and-such". A pretty human condition.

Now God chose Saul - big fanfare ...[text shortened]... uthor was actually incorrect, if a little over zealous in his explanation of a historical event.
    I agree that the way it is written, or at least translated, it may appear to some to give the wrong impression that it was God that made the mistake. But we know that can not be what he meant.

Now to answer your questions, in my case the answer is yes to both, but keep in mind I am not God.
  9. Standard memberCalJustonline
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    17 Jun '15 15:531 edit
    I agree that the way it is written, or at least translated, it may appear to some to give the wrong impression that it was God that made the mistake. But we know that can not be what he meant.
    Wow, for the first time I think we may actually be on the verge of agreeing on something! This sure calls for a celebration, and I am NOT being sarcastic.

If we can agree that the literal text, as it is presented, gives a distorted view of what we know God is like, then can we also agree that in at least THIS SPECIFIC CASE, we should not take this passage literally?
  10. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    17 Jun '15 16:24
    Wow, for the first time I think we may actually be on the verge of agreeing on something! This sure calls for a celebration, and I am NOT being sarcastic.

If we can agree that the literal text, as it is presented, gives a distorted view of what we know God is like, then can we also agree that in at least THIS SPECIFIC CASE, we should not take this passage literally?
    It only gives a distorted view, if one has a distorted mind, like yours. 😏
  11. Standard memberCalJustonline
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    17 Jun '15 16:46
    It only gives a distorted view, if one has a distorted mind, like yours. 😏
    I guess it was too good to be true - to think that you could last more than one post without your Smugface signature.

Sad, really...
  12. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    17 Jun '15 20:35
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Yes God is angry, and for me it makes sense. If you read John 3: 18-19 you'll see
    something about the state we are currently in with God. We stand before God already
    condemned for our sins. Our only out is Jesus Christ, to avoid Jesus leaves us where
    we are.

18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned alr ...[text shortened]... l break out and burn like fire because of the evil you have done— burn with no one to quench it.
    CalJust I see you are in a lot of conversations, just hoping this didn't fall of your radar.
  13. Standard memberCalJustonline
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    18 Jun '15 07:142 edits
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    CalJust I see you are in a lot of conversations, just hoping this didn't fall of your radar.
    As a matter of fact, it did. Sorry!

But I cannot for the life of me figure out what your point is - specifically in this thread.

I should point out that in THIS thread I have used the word "judgement" not in the sense of punishment, but as in "good judgement", like "good sense".

The question was really that, as the story of Saul and David is told by the author, God was guilty of "poor judgement", or at the very least making a poor character assessment of Saul, so that he later said that he "regretted" that decision.

There is enough speculation about hellfire and god's wrath in other threads.
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    18 Jun '15 12:121 edit
    I guess it was too good to be true - to think that you could last more than one post without your Smugface signature.

Sad, really...
    Give me time. it's not easy to break a habit. But don't forget that I am ....

The Near Genius
  15. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    18 Jun '15 15:311 edit
    As a matter of fact, it did. Sorry!

But I cannot for the life of me figure out what your point is - specifically in this thread.

I should point out that in THIS thread I have used the word "judgement" not in the sense of punishment, but as in "good judgement", like "good sense".

The question was really that, as the story of Saul and David is told b ...[text shortened]... that decision.

There is enough speculation about hellfire and god's wrath in other threads.
    You were speaking about how humans created God, and my point about His anger is that
    it is unlike anything we do. God's anger is there, it can break out due to our sin
    we are being shown grace NOW. Grace is taking place now this is different than the
    eternal type. Just to live day to day requires that God gives us grace, because if He was
    say fair with us, as soon as we sinned we would find ourselves condemned.

So God has given us grace to protect us from His wrath that is there and will be at some
    time released upon all who sin, from the devil and his angels, to each human life here
    after the books are opened. That is unless we have received the grace Jesus won for us
    by blood He shed when He walked as one of us.

I doubt anyone if they were making up god would go through the trouble of spelling it all
    out as it is written in scripture by 40 different people over 1500 years or however long it
    took to put the first book together with the last one.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree