1. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    20 Jun '15 16:351 edit
    KJ, I am getting tired of repeating the single issue that I wanted to address over and over and over again.

Your lengthy response, worthwhile and significant though it may be, is merely repeating the official "party line". Although I don't find fault in anything that you said here, it has no relevance to the question that I asked and, - obviously falsely - assumed was quite simple.

So, let's leave the topic rest, I have lost interest in it, since I have not found a single respondent giving it the serious deliberation that I thought - falsely, again - that it deserved.

CJ, out.
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    20 Jun '15 19:26
    Originally posted by CalJust
    KJ, I am getting tired of repeating the single issue that I wanted to address over and over and over again.

Your lengthy response, worthwhile and significant though it may be, is merely repeating the official "party line". Although I don't find fault in anything that you said here, it has no relevance to the question that I asked and, - obviously falsely ...[text shortened]... ing it the serious deliberation that I thought - falsely, again - that it deserved.

CJ, out.
    I suggest you spell out simply your question, since I've gotten it wrong at least twice now.
    It could all be me, not attempting to suggest otherwise, but if I've gotten it wrong it isn't
    because I'm attempting to avoid your question.
  3. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    21 Jun '15 07:36
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    I suggest you spell out simply your question, since I've gotten it wrong at least twice now.
    It could all be me, not attempting to suggest otherwise, but if I've gotten it wrong it isn't
    because I'm attempting to avoid your question.
    OK, I will do it one more time, although I thought that the post to which you responded was pretty specific.

If you take the story of Abraham and Isaac, and ASSUME IT IS NOT IN THE BIBLE, but a regular novel, then the words NOW I KNOW issued by Party B would be quite obvious and not even raise an eyebrow, because that is what would normally happen - a person (Abraham, in this case) gets to make a decision, and after the decision is made, the person who threw down the challenge, got his answer.

In the story of Samual and Saul, again FORGET THAT THIS IS IN THE BIBLE BUT A NORMAL NARRATIVE, a person makes a decision (say, appoint an employee) and when that employee turns out to be less than suitable, appoints a replacement, and maybe uses the words : " I made a bit of a mistake, I'm sorry I appointed Joe in the first place, let's go with George". In regular life, this is a very normal and natural event; nobody would think it needed further explanation.

It is only when the party concerned is GOD, that problems arise, and we have to somehow explain it away, with deep theological contortions.

Here is my simple question:

Do you agree that at face value the two stories say what they mean to say about the parties involved?

Then, the second part of the question would be, how can we reconcile this conclusion with the assumption that the one party should be all-knowing?
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Jun '15 11:35
    OK, I will do it one more time, although I thought that the post to which you responded was pretty specific.

If you take the story of Abraham and Isaac, and ASSUME IT IS NOT IN THE BIBLE, but a regular novel, then the words NOW I KNOW issued by Party B would be quite obvious and not even raise an eyebrow, because that is what would normally happen - a per ...[text shortened]... w can we reconcile this conclusion with the assumption that the one party should be all-knowing?
    Yes if we were talking about people not in the Bible only I'd agree with you; however, we
    are not doing just that. I've given you reasons why when speaking about God in context
    of all other scripture why that changes things.

I'm not sure what your point is, unless it is to suggest that an all knowing God is limited to
    just those things He can know as they come up?

I suppose that is possible, if something is impossible to know, would that count against
    the knowledge of One that knows all that can be known? I'd think it would even if He is
    also so smart He could work it all out before hand so that nothing surprises Him too,
    meaning as it something becomes knowable He knows it, and before that all the
    variables in play show Him all the possible limited possible answers, but that would still
    leave room for error if some variable went somewhere unlooked for.
  5. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    21 Jun '15 12:26

If you take the story of Abraham and Isaac, and ASSUME IT IS NOT IN THE BIBLE, but a regular novel, then the words NOW I KNOW issued by Party B would be quite obvious and not even raise an eyebrow, because that is what would normally happen - a per ...[text shortened]... w can we reconcile this conclusion with the assumption that the one party should be all-knowing?
    "Do you agree that at face value the two stories say what they mean to say about the parties involved?"

Yes.

"Then, the second part of the question would be, how can we reconcile this conclusion with the assumption that the one party should be all-knowing?"

Because the "other party" is all-unknowing! If one "assumes" God is all-knowing, and we are not, then the logical conclusion is we are in error and missing the point or lesson or truth or whatever it is that causes us to question the motive and character of an all-knowing and beneficent God.
  6. Standard memberCalJust
    It is what it is
    Pretoria
    Moves
    21 Jun '15 13:19
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Yes if we were talking about people not in the Bible only I'd agree with you; however, we
    are not doing just that. I've given you reasons why when speaking about God in context
    of all other scripture why that changes things.

I'm not sure what your point is
    So you don't think it at all strange that somebody attributes to God characteristics that are decidedly un-godlike? Like regret and repentance?

I said higher up in this thread what my point was, but don't bother. If you swallow Noah in toto then this is a small fly. I am now really going to call it a day, if you don't mind.

In peace

CJ
  7. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    21 Jun '15 17:48
    So you don't think it at all strange that somebody attributes to God characteristics that are decidedly un-godlike? Like regret and repentance?

I said higher up in this thread what my point was, but don't bother. If you swallow Noah in toto then this is a small fly. I am now really going to call it a day, if you don't mind.

In peace

CJ
    I don't mind, you ask questions throw out an insult and run off. I don't look for much more
    from you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree