The morality of Islamophobia

The morality of Islamophobia

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
31 Jan 22

Is it morally unsound to feel or think hateful things about a religion like Islam?

Is it morally unsound to say hateful things about a religion like Islam?

Is it morally unsound to discriminate against someone because of their religion if they are Muslims?

What is a morally sound stance for Judaism and Christianity to take regarding their Abrahamic stablemate Islam?

You should define "hateful things" as you see fit ~ or reject the term if necessary.

It might be helpful to differentiate between 'Islam as a faith' and 'Islam as a political force' ~ or not, if you don't want to.

Islamophobia: it's a word that was coined 100 years ago, but you hear it a lot these days.

Thoughts?

F

Moves
31 Jan 22

@fmf said
Is it morally unsound to feel or think hateful things about a religion like Islam?
I think morality governs our interactions with others, so I don't really subscribe to the idea that 'thinking something' can be immoral; unless a thought translates into an action, I don't think it lies within the realm of morality.

I don't agree with there being "thought crimes" or actions designated as "hate crimes" in order to be punished differently because of that element of "hate".

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
31 Jan 22

@fmf said

Is it morally unsound to say hateful things about a religion like Islam?

Is it morally unsound to discriminate against someone because of their religion if they are Muslims?

What is a morally sound stance for Judaism and Christianity to take regarding their Abrahamic stablemate Islam?

Y ...[text shortened]... amophobia: it's a word that was coined 100 years ago, but you hear it a lot these days.

Thoughts?
Hating another human being is unchristian and antithetical to sound biblical doctrine, but hating what another does that violates biblical morality is right and just.

I've heard things about Islam, if true, I would hate, just as I hate the things I hear some say about Christianity that I know are not true.

"What is a morally sound stance for Judaism and Christianity to take regarding their Abrahamic stablemate Islam?"

To love ones neighbor as oneself, and do unto others as one would have done unto their self.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
31 Jan 22

@fmf said
I think morality governs our interactions with others, so I don't really subscribe to the idea that 'thinking something' can be immoral; unless a thought translates into an action, I don't think it lies within the realm of morality.
I disagree with that.

"Sow a thought, reap an action
Sow an action, reap a habit
Sow a habit, reap a character
Sow a character, reap a destiny"
Steven Covey

F

Moves
31 Jan 22

@josephw said
Hating another human being is unchristian and antithetical to sound biblical doctrine, but hating what another does that violates biblical morality is right and just.
Put hating the person to one side for a moment. And put hating what they do aside as well. What about hating what they believe?

F

Moves
31 Jan 22
1 edit

@josephw said
I disagree with that.

"Sow a thought, reap an action
Sow an action, reap a habit
I think morality governs "action" and "habit" and not "thought".

F

Moves
31 Jan 22

@josephw said
I disagree with that.

"Sow a habit, reap a character
Sow a character, reap a destiny"
I think "character" is only a moral issue in so far as it translates into morally unsound actions.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
31 Jan 22

@fmf said
Put hating the person to one side for a moment. And put hating what they do aside as well. What about hating what they believe?
I don't know of any biblical injunction or instruction that allows for hating what another believes per se, except to say that if that belief should cause that one to reject Christ, then, in that sense it is hate worthy.

Just my thoughts. I can't be dogmatic about that.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
31 Jan 22

@fmf said
I think morality governs "action" and "habit" and not "thought".
Why not?

How is "thought" exempt from moral constraints?

F

Moves
31 Jan 22

@josephw said
How is "thought" exempt from moral constraints?
Because I believe morality governs actions and interactions between people.

F

Moves
31 Jan 22

@josephw said
I don't know of any biblical injunction or instruction that allows for hating what another believes per se, except to say that if that belief should cause that one to reject Christ, then, in that sense it is hate worthy.
I don't believe Jesus is who Christians believe he is. Should Christians "hate" this belief of mine?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
31 Jan 22

@fmf said
I think "character" is only a moral issue in so far as it translates into morally unsound actions.
I think a morally sound character is the driver of actions.

Immoral character = immoral actions.

Moral thoughts > moral actions > moral habits > moral character

F

Moves
31 Jan 22

@josephw said
Moral thoughts > moral actions > moral habits > moral character
Thoughts > moral actions or immoral actions.

Character is the sum total nature of a person's actions and words, not whatever thoughts they might have.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
31 Jan 22

@fmf said
Because I believe morality governs actions and interactions between people.
I think morality begins within, in ones thoughts.

Morality isn't a sign on the wall that reads "thou shall not covet". Although it is.

Obedience to a moral code cannot be enforced legislatively.

F

Moves
31 Jan 22

@josephw said
I think morality begins within, in ones thoughts.
Moral or immoral actions may be preceded by certain thoughts, but I think "morality" is about behaviour and not thoughts.