The morality of Islamophobia

The morality of Islamophobia

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
31 Jan 22

@josephw said
Question being, what is the cause of the conscious awareness of morality?
I think this answers your question:

It's something made possible and supported by our cerebral capacities, required by our nature as social creatures, essential for survival, and it has evolved as we have evolved and as communities and societies have evolved. Another possibility is that such consciousness and conscience were put there ~ maybe way back at the beginning ~ by a creator being, but we can only speculate about that.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
31 Jan 22

@fmf said

It's something made possible and supported by our cerebral capacities, required by our nature as social creatures, essential for survival, and it has evolved as we have evolved and as communities and societies have evolved. Another possibility is that such consciousness and conscience were put there ~ maybe way back at the beginning ~ by a creator being, but we can only speculate about that.
Ok. So, setting aside the speculative, if the awareness of the moral component of our nature was not caused by a creator, then by default we can assume that our consciousness of morality was "accumulate[d] like the mass of ice under the water, where the laws that are passed with different degrees of consensus form the bit of the iceberg protruding visibly above the waves."

I can see that as a distinct probability. Probably one of many theories.

Would you say that it is theoretical that consciousness exists in man based on probability because the odds that a creator caused it are too high?

Is there then not a component of faith involved in trusting science to provide factual evidence?

IP

Moves
01 Feb 22

Our 'moral compass' is a learned thing, by teaching or experience; if as a child we are caught taking something without permission we are likely to get our knuckles rapped, or be told off. This experience then becomes hard - wired as our brains develop into the part of our frontal lobes which controls other more primitive, instinctive parts of our brain. (Which is just as well, really, a friend of mine once likened us without this frontal lobe control to a room full of cats and dogs) We are all of us instinctive animals, who have learned to control our instincts. For example, all of the heterosexual males amongst us understand that we will encounter women of whom we are desirous of carnal knowledge, our 'common sense' (a learned thing) telling us that we shouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Similarly we may covet our neighbour's oxen (if our neighbour happens to have oxen) but we don't steal them, because we've learned best not to. From a moral perspective, to want to do something that we should not is not a 'sin', (we can't help our instincts) the sin only kicks in if we do it.
My own personal take on the OP is that as an atheist I view all religions as being equally valid, and don't hate any of them, indeed I find them enriching and inspiring, as long as they mind their own business.

Moves
01 Feb 22

F

Moves
01 Feb 22

@josephw said
Is there then not a component of faith involved in trusting science to provide factual evidence?
The way theists use the word "faith" in conversations like this makes it inapplicable to my perspective on the origin of morality and/or its implications.

Your theist "faith" [according to your beliefs] gives you immortality, so you are making a massive aspirational leap based on your speculation about supernatural things.

Meanwhile, my speculation about supernatural things translates into my agnosticism and my assumption that death is the end, so I am making no massive aspirational leap and not settling for a religious package of answers and promises.

You can refer to this stance as "faith" in this context if you want to, but I think it dilutes the meaning of the word.

Grass Farmer

Moves
01 Feb 22
2 edits

F

Moves
01 Feb 22

@josephw said
Would you say that it is theoretical that consciousness exists in man based on probability because the odds that a creator caused it are too high?

[1] I don't think that "it is theoretical that consciousness exists in man".

[2] I don't think calculations about "probability" and "odds" have any bearing on the fact that "consciousness exists in man".

Moves
01 Feb 22

@fmf said

I've met clever rationalizers like you, and I despise them.

Moves
01 Feb 22

Moves
01 Feb 22

Grass Farmer

Moves
01 Feb 22

Is there any real reasons people could hate islam?

Grass Farmer

Moves
01 Feb 22

ignorance of law is a crime under nz law.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
03 Feb 22

@executioner-brand said
Is there any real reasons people could hate islam?
I hate religion.

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
03 Feb 22

@executioner-brand said
ignorance of law is a crime under nz law.
Is that why everyone living there goes to law school?

Grass Farmer

Moves
03 Feb 22