The morality of Islamophobia

The morality of Islamophobia

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Grass Farmer

Moves
31 Jan 22

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
31 Jan 22

The post that was quoted here has been removed
How long is the website going to tolerate your racism.

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
31 Jan 22

The post that was quoted here has been removed
Have you read the Quran? Translations are available online. I'm no expert, but in my reading I've not found it to condone paedophilia.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
31 Jan 22

@fmf said
I know.

But I don't think "sin" exists, except in the minds of theists.
The term "sin" is an abstract concept. It's an idea that exists in the mind. In that sense I agree.

Since "sin" is defined as an immoral act that transgresses devine law, and since you believe there's no concrete evidence for the existence of God, I fully understand why you think sin only exists in the minds of those who do believe in the existence of God.

Makes perfect sense. So, logically, it makes no sense to debate about whether "sin" and "morality" are conjoined principles with corresponding attributes relative to human conduct, since you believe differently from me about what the cause is for the existence of "sin" and "morality".

Setting "sin" aside, and although I've heard in the past your explanation for the reason why "morality" exists, I would ask, how is the existence of "morality" anything other than an abstract concept that exists in the mind?

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
31 Jan 22

@fmf said
If his thoughts had remained in his mind and not communicated to others, would they - to your way of thinking - have been "sinful" regardless?
To my way of thinking, yes. Simply put, ungodly. It's a plague on the human race. Everyone is affected by it. To my way of thinking.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
31 Jan 22

@divegeester said
How long is the website going to tolerate your racism.
Well, since this website can tolerate you, probably forever.

F

Moves
31 Jan 22

@josephw said
I would ask, how is the existence of "morality" anything other than an abstract concept that exists in the mind?
Who has said that it isn't?

I think morality is a part of human consciousness and everyone - aside from people in a coma or psychopaths - has some sort of moral compass and some grasp of morality in their minds. Everyone.

As for "sin", it only exists in the minds of people who believe that there is a divine will that can be transgressed.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
31 Jan 22

@fmf said
I think morality is a part of human consciousness and everyone - aside from people in a coma or psychopaths - has some sort of moral compass and some grasp of morality in their minds. Everyone.
Agreed.

How does it, "some grasp of morality" get in the mind?

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
31 Jan 22
1 edit

@fmf said
As for "sin", it only exists in the minds of people who believe that there is a divine will that can be transgressed.
Agreed.

I think we should set aside that aspect for the time being.

F

Moves
31 Jan 22

@josephw said
How does it, "some grasp of morality" get in the mind?
It's something made possible and supported by our cerebral capacities, required by our nature as social creatures, essential for survival, and it has evolved as we have evolved and as communities and societies have evolved.

Another possibility is that such consciousness and conscience were put there ~ maybe way back at the beginning ~ by a creator being, but we can only speculate about that.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
31 Jan 22

@fmf said
It's something made possible and supported by our cerebral capacities, required by our nature as social creatures, essential for survival, and it has evolved as we have evolved and as communities and societies have evolved.

Another possibility is that such consciousness and conscience were put there ~ maybe way back at the beginning ~ by a creator being, but we can only speculate about that.
Is the cause for the awareness of "morality", by our "conscience" or the evolved mechanisms of out physical capacities, from an external or internal influence, or perhaps both?

F

Moves
31 Jan 22

@josephw said
Is the cause for the awareness of "morality", by our "conscience" or the evolved mechanisms of out physical capacities, from an external or internal influence, or perhaps both?
I think it's a combination of "nature" and "nurture".

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
31 Jan 22

@fmf said
I think it's a combination of "nature" and "nurture".
And codified by man?

F

Moves
31 Jan 22

@josephw said
And codified by man?
Internalized by individuals as they grow up in different societies and cultures, which accumulate like the mass of ice under the water, where the laws that are passed with different degrees of consensus form the bit of the iceberg protruding visibly above the waves.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
31 Jan 22

@fmf said
Internalized by individuals as they grow up in different societies and cultures, which accumulate like the mass of ice under the water, where the laws that are passed with different degrees of consensus form the bit of the iceberg protruding visibly above the waves.
Good post. Really.

Great analogy. Spiritual even.

But it doesn't quite answer the question I think.

Question being, what is the cause of the conscious awareness of morality?