1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 03:28
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    To me, Jesus is God incarnate, the Creator of the heavens and the earth, the one that will create a new heaven and earth, my only hope of salvation, and the only source of eternal life, just to name a few. There is no need for me to search out other religions for they offer only death and destruction. That is why I declare myself a Christian and I have hop ...[text shortened]... sus the Christ will confirm my declaration.

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
    You are always very spooky. Your gods, what, they are too weak to speak without your voice?
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 07:08
    Originally posted by apathist
    You are always very spooky. Your gods, what, they are too weak to speak without your voice?
    I only have one Triune God (Father, Son, and Holy Spirit) who's voice is too powerful and frightening for you to hear directly. Therefore, He trusts weak human beings, like myself, to speak His truth for Him. It is all out of love for all humanity. Wake up and get your head out, numbnuts. 😏
  3. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 07:10
    Originally posted by kd2acz
    [b]Isaiah 7:14 (NIV), Virgin Birth
    Prophecy written: Between 701-681 BC

14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel

Micah 5:2 (NIV), Place of Birth
    Prophecy written: Sometime between 750-686 BC

2 “But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small amon ...[text shortened]... was no guest room available for them.

An important prophecy and event, you get two for one.[/b]
    Luke wrote a story to fit ancient prophecy.
    Big deal.
    Got any facts?
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 07:12
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    Does one size really fit all?
    Er ... yes.
    (Unless you accept that other relgions are equally likely to be true as yours.)
    (And if you accept that it is a small step to deduce that probably all are false)
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 07:32
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Er ... yes.
    (Unless you accept that other relgions are equally likely to be true as yours.)
    (And if you accept that it is a small step to deduce that probably all are false)
    There is only one truth. Christ Jesus is the only way to salvation. He is our only way to gain eternal life. All other religions are fit only for the garbage heap to be burned with the eternal fire. It is your choice to choose life or death. You don't have long to make that choice and therefore I urge you to do it quickly.
  6. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 08:41
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    Luke wrote a story to fit ancient prophecy.
    Big deal.
    Got any facts?
    I figured that might be your response
  7. Standard memberblack beetle
    Black Beastie
    Scheveningen
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 12:11
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    Formulating a strategy to win a game is not the same as
    predicting the future.

It would be the same as formulating a strategy when two armies are joined in battle.
    You hope that such a strategy will be successful. There is no guarantee that it will.

You could formulate a similar strategy to play a football game or any other game.

Nothing is guaranteed. No future is predicted, you have only aspirations.
    No.
    Study Dvoretsky and see on your own what you will get😵
  8. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 12:19
    In Acts 4:8-12 (NIV)

8 Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them: “Rulers and elders of the people! 9 If we are being called to account today for an act of kindness shown to a man who was lame and are being asked how he was healed, 10 then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you cruci ...[text shortened]... o other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.”

Who is Jesus to you?
    Some figment of the imaginations of uneducated people 2000 years ago, championed by those who *were* educated because it gave them a means towards power, wealth, and control of the masses.

He never existed - stories about him were probably inspired by some nice bloke called Jake or somethingReveal Hidden Content
    who can\'t walk on water
    who went beyond the norms of kindness back in those days.
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 13:50
    Originally posted by Agerg
    Some figment of the imaginations of uneducated people 2000 years ago, championed by those who *were* educated because it gave them a means towards power, wealth, and control of the masses.

He never existed - stories about him were probably inspired by some nice bloke called Jake or something[hidden]who can\'t walk on water[/hidden]who went beyond the norms of kindness back in those days.
    The stories were inspired by the same one, who's image is on the Shroud of Turin. 😏

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  10. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 14:261 edit
    Some ... [text shortened]...

He never existed - stories about him were probably inspired by some nice bloke called Jake or something[hidden]who can't walk on water[/hidden]who went beyond the norms of kindness back in those days.
    I beg to differ, there is evidence of historical Jesus. Did they have blokes named Jake back in the day?

I appreciate your response.
  11. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 14:40
    I beg to differ, there is evidence of historical Jesus. Did they have blokes named Jake back in the day?

I appreciate your response.
    I don't know...might have been Jack, or Jebediah, or someone whose name didn't even begin with 'J'.

You have no compelling evidence for the historical existence of Jesus - prophecies that were written true by people who'd read the Old Testament, or vague prophecies that could be rendered true in almost any circumstance for some interpretation are completely worthless.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 15:04
    Originally posted by black beetle
    No.
    Study Dvoretsky and see on your own what you will get😵
    those gigantic and ominous tomes, ones knows that it must be good for one to enter but many prefer the dance on thin ice rather than to skate dear beetle.
  13. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 16:09
    I don't know...might have been Jack, or Jebediah, or someone whose name didn't even begin with 'J'.

You have no compelling evidence for the historical existence of Jesus - prophecies that were written true by people who'd read the Old Testament, or vague prophecies that could be rendered true in almost any circumstance for some interpretation are completely worthless.
    The internet has become a useful tool in finding all sorts or information on all sorts of things. Youtube, Wikipedia among others are used to make points, show data, etc. in these forums. In the works of Flavius Josephus, a roman-jewiish historian, there are references to Jesus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus_on_Jesus
  14. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 16:144 edits
    The internet has become a useful tool in finding all sorts or information on all sorts of things. Youtube, Wikipedia among others are used to make points, show data, etc. in these forums. In the works of Flavius Josephus, a roman-jewiish historian, there are references to Jesus.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus_on_Jesus
    So!? For a start Josephus wasn't even born when Jesus or his cohorts were alleged to be around - what evidence do you have that he had any evidence other than hearsay?

If I was a historian, with an agenda to promote scientology, and I started making references to thetans in some big old volcano (50,000 years ago I think I remember scientologists saying ---can't be bothered checking!) would that be a compelling argument for the truth of Scientology?
  15. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 16:541 edit
    So!? For a start Josephus wasn't even born when Jesus or his cohorts were alleged to be around - what...[text shortened]... truth of Scientology?
    Is Josephus any different than modern day Historians that were not a) present at an event and b) not alive during such an event... but we have faith in their works as the truth or historical? I don't know what kind of evidence you would require to believe. I have put forth a source in history, Josephus who has had references to Jesus in his works. The Bible is another historical source not just of Jesus but other things as well. There are perhaps more historical works, but I am not aware of them, as I personally don't need the convincing.

You are unaccepting for whatever reason of Jesus' existence not matter what is presented, that is not an open mind. You could not have spent 2 minutes reading the link I sent about Josephus and learning anything about him, you reached an arbitrary conclusion and called it a day.

Let me ask you this...

If for you, Jesus existed and you have found the evidence you needed to the fact, how would that change what you believed about Christianity?

I don't know how you feel about wikipedia, and I have to be honest I don't know the source of the statement, but info on Josephus (wikipedia) states this...

Modern scholarship has almost universally acknowledged the authenticity of the reference in Book 20, Chapter 9, 1 of the Antiquities to "the brother of Jesus, who was called Christ, whose name was James" and considers it as having the highest level of authenticity among the references of Josephus to Christianity. Almost all modern scholars consider the reference in Book 18, Chapter 5, 2 of the Antiquities to the imprisonment and death of John the Baptist to also be authentic.

Is not what is almost universally acknowledged in authenticity enough for you?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Josephus_on_Jesus#The_three_passages

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree