1. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    04 Jan '13 18:53
    Originally posted by kd2acz
    The number of prophecies fulfilled by him are astounding ...
    😴
    Still waiting for just one example.
  2. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    04 Jan '13 18:54
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    [b]The Bible is the inspired word of God

Can you substantiate that claim?[/b]
    I feel a circular argument coming on, I offer this;

1 Corinthians 2:12–13 (NASB)

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God, 13 which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoughts with spiritual words.

2 Timothy 3:16–17 (NASB)

16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.

I have no doubt you have been down this path previously, the hope is you would look at the subject matter a little differently this time around.

To the OP, Who is Jesus to you?
  3. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    04 Jan '13 19:17

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God, 13 which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoug ...[text shortened]... at the subject matter a little differently this time around.

How do you know it is the inspired word of a god? Any god?

Do you know this simply because you were told this and simply
    accepted it as fact?

I could write a book tomorrow and tell you that everything
    in that book was the inspired word of my god.

A god called booga booga walla walla.

All things were made through him.

All hail booga booga walla walla.

Would you believe this?

How many times has the bible been called into question?
    How many times have the Watchtower people been wrong?
    Is Islam the way forward? They believe in the spread of their
    religion by the sword.

What about the Mormons or the moonies? Are they right?

How do you know that your religion is the right one?

Is it because you were told so? And therefore you know nothing else?
  4. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    04 Jan '13 19:27
    Originally posted by black beetle
    Edit: "No one can predict the future."

BTW, I wonder how do you play chess?! The Royal Game is a series of a constantly changing position (and the game itself is the finest example of what is known as perfect information). The position does not change on its own out of the blue, it changes because each player contributes so that it changes. To state ...[text shortened]... s are nonsensical and the variations of your opponent keep you constantly slave of his will😵
    Formulating a strategy to win a game is not the same as
    predicting the future.

It would be the same as formulating a strategy when two armies are joined in battle.
    You hope that such a strategy will be successful. There is no guarantee that it will.

You could formulate a similar strategy to play a football game or any other game.

Nothing is guaranteed. No future is predicted, you have only aspirations.
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    04 Jan '13 19:50

12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God, 13 which things we also speak, not in words taught by human wisdom, but in those taught by the Spirit, combining spiritual thoug ...[text shortened]... at the subject matter a little differently this time around.

I feel a circular argument coming on

Refreshing to see you're honest enough to admit your claim about the Bible being the 'inspired word of God' rests on a logical fallacy. For me, it doesn't matter how i look at this subject matter, i can look at it from any conceivable angle. No matter where i view it the premise is always resting on a logical fallacy.
  6. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    04 Jan '13 20:07
    [b]I feel a circular argument coming on

Refreshing to see you're honest enough to admit your claim about the Bible being the 'inspired word of God' rests on a logical fallacy. For me, it doesn't matter how i look at this subject matter, i can look at it from any conceivable angle. No matter where i view it the premise is always resting on a logical fallacy.[/b]
    I have admited nothing of the sort. So, can you answer the OP?
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    04 Jan '13 20:15
    Originally posted by johnnylongwoody
    How do you know it is the inspired word of a god? Any god?

Do you know this simply because you were told this and simply
    accepted it as fact?

I could write a book tomorrow and tell you that everything
    in that book was the inspired word of my god.

A god called booga booga walla walla.

All things were made through him.

All hail bo ...[text shortened]... igion is the right one?

Is it because you were told so? And therefore you know nothing else?
    I investigated and checked all my doubts out and determined that the Holy Bible was the most reliable of the religious texts. This caused me to believe Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. I dismissed the Koran or (Quran) and the Book of Morman as not being inspired by God, but more likely inspired by Satan the devil. I have not found any Christian group that I can say are correct on every point. But then I realized it was not necessary for me to find such a group to believe and trust in Christ as my savior. The main Christian denominations all believe in the essential doctrines of the Christian faith so you have many choices that will be okay for a Christian to join. One may work better for you and your family than others.

http://www.apologeticsindex.org/158-essential-doctrines-of-the-christian-faith

Avoid those that do not believe and teach these essential doctrines of Christianity, even though they declare themselves Christian.
  8. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    04 Jan '13 20:15
    I gave you a perfectly good answer in the very next post after
    your opening post but you were not happy with the answer.
    Jesus was this guy who allegedly lived 2000 years ago and was
    executed by the Romans because they thought he was the
    leader of a Jewish rebellion against the mighty rule of Rome.

You were not happy with that answer.

Which leads me to think that you will only be happy
    with an answer which mirrors your own opinion.

You're not happy with anyone else's opinion.

If you don't want answers which are not compatible
    with your opinions and beliefs then don't ask for them.
  9. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    04 Jan '13 20:201 edit
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I investigated and checked all my doubts out and determined that the Holy Bible was the most reliable of the religious texts. This caused me to believe Jesus is the way, the truth, and the life. I dismissed the Koran or (Quran) and the Book of Morman as not being inspired by God, but more likely inspired by Satan the devil. I have not found any Christian ...[text shortened]... teach these essential doctrines of Christianity, even though they declare themselves Christian.
    What is that supposed to mean?

One may work better for you and your family than others?

Are you cherry picking now RJ?

I like this passage but I don't like that passage?

I like this Christian group but I don't like that Christian group?
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    04 Jan '13 20:291 edit
    The Bible is the inspired word of God because the Bible says so is about as circular an argument as you can possibly get.

As for your question in the OP, Jesus to me is the central character in a first century Jewish zombie story.
  11. Dublin Ireland
    Moves
    04 Jan '13 20:32
    The Bible is the inspired word of God because the Bible says so is about as circular an argument as you can possibly get.

As for your question in the OP, Jesus to me is the central character in a first century Jewish zombie story.
    I gave him a perfectly good answer and he didn't like it.
  12. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    04 Jan '13 21:231 edit

Fair enough, thanks for the comments. I like to hear the thing right from the horses mouth... so to speak.
  13. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    04 Jan '13 22:181 edit
    I gave you a perfectly good answer in the very next post after
    your opening post but you were not happy with the answer.
    Jesus was this guy who allegedly lived 2000 years ago and was
    executed by the Romans because they thought he was the
    leader of a Jewish rebellion against the mighty rule of Rome.

You were not happy with that answer.

t answers which are not compatible
    You did answer the OP, I figured there may have been some sarcasm which is why I pressed the issue. My happiness has nothing to do with your answer or anybody elses, I was just looking for an honest answer and misread yours... my mistake. I think we can agree that sarcasm abounds in this forum, surely you can understand my train of thought?

You're not happy with anyone else's opinion.

I think you are going off on a bit of a tangent here. I have not asked nor am I seeking for anybody to agree with me in any way. I neither like nor dislike any answers to my questions in anyway, it's not my purpose. A lot of the folks here have been at it for quite awhile and know each other pretty well, I am just trying to figure out who's who. Nothing more, nothing less. Ok?

If you don't want answers which are not compatible

You have me all wrong.

So tell me what you really think, can you answer the OP?

Just kidding dude, thanks for taking the time to respond, I do appreciate it.
  14. Joined
    03 Sep '12
    Moves
    04 Jan '13 22:39
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    😴
    Still waiting for just one example.
    Isaiah 7:14 (NIV), Virgin Birth
    Prophecy written: Between 701-681 BC

14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel

Micah 5:2 (NIV), Place of Birth
    Prophecy written: Sometime between 750-686 BC

2 “But you, Bethlehem Ephrathah, though you are small among the clans[a] of Judah, out of you will come for me one who will be ruler over Israel, whose origins are from of old, from ancient times.”

Luke 1:29-37 (NIV), Virgin Birth

29 Mary was greatly troubled at his words and wondered what kind of greeting this might be. 30 But the angel said to her, “Do not be afraid, Mary; you have found favor with God. 31 You will conceive and give birth to a son, and you are to call him Jesus. 32 He will be great and will be called the Son of the Most High. The Lord God will give him the throne of his father David, 33 and he will reign over Jacob’s descendants forever; his kingdom will never end.”

34 “How will this be,” Mary asked the angel, “since I am a virgin?”

35 The angel answered, “The Holy Spirit will come on you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. So the holy one to be born will be called[a] the Son of God. 36 Even Elizabeth your relative is going to have a child in her old age, and she who was said to be unable to conceive is in her sixth month. 37 For no word from God will ever fail.”

Luke 2:4-7 (NIV), Place of Birth

4 So Joseph also went up from the town of Nazareth in Galilee to Judea, to Bethlehem the town of David, because he belonged to the house and line of David. 5 He went there to register with Mary, who was pledged to be married to him and was expecting a child. 6 While they were there, the time came for the baby to be born, 7 and she gave birth to her firstborn, a son. She wrapped him in cloths and placed him in a manger, because there was no guest room available for them.

An important prophecy and event, you get two for one.
  15. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 00:56
    What is that supposed to mean?

One may work better for you and your family than others?

Are you cherry picking now RJ?

I like this passage but I don't like that passage?

I like this Christian group but I don't like that Christian group?
    Does one size really fit all?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree