1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '13 18:16
    Originally posted by rwingett
    It would be sporting of you to make some slight allowance for their inadequacies. Kowtowing in quite unnecessary.
    I just see no basis to ascribe any attributes to a creator other than its being a creator. So, instead of calling it "god", call it the one thing it is, "creator".

One could conceivably identify it with its creation, i,e, call it "creator/creation" which brings with it the necessary conclusion that there is no creative act or moment at which creator becomes creator/creation. There is just a continuous process during which creator/creation changes.

Then we can puzzle over "the beginning of time."
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    14 Jan '13 18:28
    Originally posted by JS357
    I just see no basis to ascribe any attributes to a creator other than its being a creator. So, instead of calling it "god", call it the one thing it is, "creator".

One could conceivably identify it with its creation, i,e, call it "creator/creation" which brings with it the necessary conclusion that there is no creative act or moment at which creator become ...[text shortened]... ring which creator/creation changes.

Not sure I quite follow you here. As the pantheist conception of the universe as 'god' has no intentionality, to call it the 'creator' of itself would make no sense. Its ultimate causation is either unknown or unknowable.
  3. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    14 Jan '13 19:002 edits
    The former being said, however, I don't think pantheists would agree with the necessity of coming up with an alternate term. They would, I'm sure, feel that 'god' was precisely what they meant. Nothing more, nothing less.
    On the ex nihilo idea: The mainstream (or at least what seems to me, on my studies, as the predominant stream) of Jewish thought is that the cosmos is “created” (generated or engendered might be a better word) from the “godhead”, which is called ein sof.

I think of this as a kind of “gestaltic nondualism” in which ein sof is the ground in which, from which, and of which all “figures” (manifestations) are.

And, quite frankly, I’m not sure (until God is conceived of as a being of some kind, whether personalistic or not), that much more is needed beyond Agerg’s requirement—except perhaps that the generative dynamism be already embedded in the ground, which might raise the question of a “trigger”. The rabbis seem to have called that trigger “will”—but I would have to revisit the sources to explicate that, as it seems decidedly not to mean a conscious urge; but, perhaps, simply an innate (to ein sof) proclivity. Again, I’d have to research it, since it’s been awhile.

On Rwingett’s pantheism: I usually use the term “nondualism” in preference to pantheism, but that is a somewhat pedantic difference which does not need to come into play here (and the Jewish neo-Hasidic rabbi and scholar, Zalman Schachter-Shaolmi, also uses “pantheism” ). Such a view is not new, and should not be seen as somehow less normative than the theistic alternative. The ancient Stoics, for example, used theos in a distinctly pantheistic way.

Dualism versus nondualism (pantheism) has long been the major metaphysical divide, and dualism should not be assumed to be somehow the “normative”, or pantheism somehow a “marginal” understanding historically. (This, incidentally, is the reason why I tend to choose the self-description “nontheist”, rather than “atheist”—admittedly a thin and, again, pedantic distinction perhaps—appended to my nondualism.)

Nondualism is also prominent (if not predominant) in Judaism, and has been. A rather famous (Hasidic) rabbi, Aiden Steinsaltz, once declared it to be the “official theology” of Judaiams, in reference to the tradition of Kabbalah. I think it is embedded in the Shema (the single “doctrinally required” statement of Judaism: sh’ma Yisrael YHVH eloheinu YHVH echad). It is also expressed in Isaiah 6:3—melo kol ha’aretz kevodo: “the fullness of all the earth is [his] presence”; melo is a noun—“fullness”, not “filled with” or “full of”; and kevodo, conventionally translated as “glory”, means [palpable, or weighty] “presence”.

On JS357’s “pre-existing semantic associations”: Pre-existing for whom? When I started to study Jewish thought, for example, I discovered that a lot of my pre-existing semantic associations were simply not there in Judaism, which is a paradigmatically different religion from the Christianity that I grew up in—in ways far more radical (“rootical” ) than what the term “messiah” means. You’re surely correct insofar as our particular cultural matrix is concerned (as long as that matrix excludes those particular Judaic influences, as well as others)—but I see no reason why I ought to eschew other longstanding semantic associations.

On Freaky’s “personalism”: From the view just outlined above, personalistic ascriptions are given to various manifest (“post-creatio” ) aspects of the ineffable ground (called ein sof). Such aspects might be called el, elohim, YHVH (Hashem), shaddai, makom (“place” ), etc.

Note: All of the above is within the context of a “substance theology”. Judaism also has a strain of “process theology” (especially in the context of Kabbalah), in which “God is a verb” (from Rabbi David Cooper’s book titled thus); in fact, the principle name of God—YHVH—is a verb!
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '13 19:031 edit
    Not sure I quite follow you here. As the pantheist conception of the universe as 'god' has no intentionality, to call it the 'creator' of itself would make no sense. Its ultimate causation is either unknown or unknowable.
    I think I should not have made those comments in response to comments on pantheism. I guess it stands alone.

Edit: I think I agree with what you say here.
  5. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    14 Jan '13 19:06
    I think I should not have made those comments in response to comments on pantheism. I guess it stands alone.

Edit: I think I agree with what you say here.
    Well, some of what I posted above is a bit "johnny-come-lately", then, with respect to that issue. 😳
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    14 Jan '13 19:15
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Well, some of what I posted above is a bit "johnny-come-lately", then, with respect to that issue. 😳
    Still worthwhile for me to read. I just don't have the background to comment constructively.
  7. Hmmm . . .
    Moves
    14 Jan '13 20:15
    Still worthwhile for me to read. I just don't have the background to comment constructively.
    Thank you.

It’s probably fair to mention that my own “semantic associations” here (a felicitous phrase!) are nondualistic (pantheistic), liberal (e.g., Reform/Reconstructionist—as opposed to Orthodox--Jewish), neo-Hasidic, kabbalistic . . . As I began my (eclectic, perhaps, but serious) Jewish studies—on discovering, late in life, my own Jewish ancestral heritage—I was surprised to find a nondualism so similar to, say, Taoism (but with a totally different aesthetic matrix).

Even as I try to be as general as possible, those are still the associations that I have in the background.
  8. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    14 Jan '13 20:45

One could conceivably identify it with its creation, i,e, call it "creator/creation" which brings with it the necessary conclusion that there is no creative act or moment at which creator become ...[text shortened]... ring which creator/creation changes.

And I think the minimal concepts Agerg has in mind could be applicable to something we would not call a creator.
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Jan '13 18:15
    Originally posted by Agerg
    To start with, by the same reasoning could we not also argue that this god would also have to be a dolphin? they too possess a personality (and are regarded to be highly intelligent compared to other animals (and of course humans are also animals)). We also know dogs and cats have personalities too - should god also be a dog or a cat!?
    The set is greater than the subset, yes?

To be the creator, it must be greater than all of its creation.
    This includes cats, dogs, and even the occasional flippant dolphin.
  10. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    15 Jan '13 18:18
    Originally posted by vistesd
    Thank you.

It’s probably fair to mention that my own “semantic associations” here (a felicitous phrase!) are nondualistic (pantheistic), liberal (e.g., Reform/Reconstructionist—as opposed to Orthodox--Jewish), neo-Hasidic, kabbalistic . . . As I began my (eclectic, perhaps, but serious) Jewish studies—on discovering, late in life, my own Jewish ancestra ...[text shortened]... ry to be as general as possible, those are still the associations that I have in the background.
    As much as a man can love another man without a hint of shame or wrongdoing, I adore you, vistesd.

You bring me no small comfort.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree