1. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 17:401 edit
    OK, so forgiveness and salvation of a person are not available to those who do not possess certain beliefs. Is judgment made based on the state of belief at the time of the person’s death? That would make some sense. But a person may be unconscious and in effect, lack ANY beliefs when they die. So is judgment made based on their last conscious belief on the subject?
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 22:02
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    Jesus was clear about who enters the Kingdom of God but those who are to lazy to do what is required will always find alternative doctrines. I doubt they even believe all the nonsense they write.
    I doubt they even believe all the nonsense they write.

Unfortunately it seems they do
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 22:05
    Originally posted by @js357
    Is the title of this thread correct, or should it say God could, but will not, forgive? That is, was this a freely made decision by God? If so, what could have happened that would make Him unable to forgive a particular sin?
    Not sure, but it seems likely that most who hold this incredibly perverse conception of God would say that God cannot forgive it.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 22:336 edits
    Originally posted by @freakykbh
    The premise is wanting, so any work which follows will produce less-than satisfactory results.
    All sins have been removed from the conversation, so, by default, there are no unforgivable sins to get worked up over.
    All paid, all resolved.

The only question left: your work or His work?
    Will you stand before God on the basis and merit of your work, or ...[text shortened]... lace?

I don't know of anyone who isn't self-serving.
    Some are just better at it than others.
    The premise is wanting, so any work which follows will produce less-than satisfactory results.
    All sins have been removed from the conversation, so, by default, there are no unforgivable sins to get worked up over.
    All paid, all resolved.

Sin is commonly defined as a transgression against the will of God.
    The non-acceptance of "His golden ticket" is against the will of God, making it a sin. To claim otherwise is nonsensical.

The only question left: your work or His work?
    Will you stand before God on the basis and merit of your work, or are you willing to consider it all worthless currency in His economy and accept His golden ticket in its place?

The acceptance of "His golden ticket" is done by the efforts of the individual accepting the ticket, making it a "work" of the individual. To claim otherwise is nonsensical.

Evidently you plan to stand "before God on the basis and merit" of YOUR work" which will be: "But..but..I have a 'Golden Ticket'". You have a Willy Wonka conception of God.

I don't know of anyone who isn't self-serving.
    Some are just better at it than others.

What a nonsensical response. It's akin to a serial killer trying to use the following as a defense: "I don't know of anyone who doesn't do anything wrong".

You've succeeded in taking an incredibly perverse conception of God and making it all the more nonsensical.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    18 Jan '18 23:27
    Originally posted by @sonship
    No. I do not see perverseness. But I see salvation as the New Testament says it - being in Christ. The salvation IS Christ. So being in the living Person of Christ one is in the salvation.

Now I'm sorry. But you're just going to have to put up with my bible thumping because I want you to know WHY I say this is the NT teaching.

[quote] [b] " But of Him ...[text shortened]... But the New Testament says it is being put INTO the living Person Who Himself IS the salvation.
    No. I do not see perverseness.

All you've done here is side-step the real question.

I understand your rationalizations in your attempt to justify your remarkably self-serving conception of God, but the question still remains:

How is a conception of God wherein God can forgive every imaginable atrocity - serially murdering and torturing others, serially raping children, etc. - but cannot forgive an individual for not believing that "that Jesus is God and flesh" or not having "a faithful, independent trust in the work of Christ upon the cross who cleansed us from our sins" not incredibly perverse?
  6. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 07:45
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    [b]No. I do not see perverseness.

I understand your rationalizations in your attempt to justify your remarkably self-serving conception of God, but the question still remains:

How is a conception of God wherein God can forgive every imaginable atrocity - serially murdering and torturing ot ...[text shortened]... ust in the work of Christ upon the cross who cleansed us from our sins" not incredibly perverse?[/b]

I really don't think you can talk about side-stepping. It is you who will not be candid about some matters like rejecting the resurrection of Christ and the authority of the New Testament. Your method of kind of hoping no one will notice such momentous negations of the Gospel I consider huge side-stepping in a covert way.

Where is the post from you directly stepping into a confession that you do not believe Christ rose from the dead?

Where is the post from you directly stepping into an admission of rejecting probably 80% of the New Testament as a myth?

How is a conception of God wherein God can forgive every imaginable atrocity - serially murdering and torturing others, serially raping children, etc. - but cannot forgive an individual for not believing that "that Jesus is God and flesh" or not having "a faithful, independent trust in the work of Christ upon the cross who cleansed us from our sins" not incredibly perverse?

I totally stand by the little that I wrote on this. Without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness. God forgives because of the shedding of the blood of Christ for sins.

The benefit of that substitution takes place by being IN Christ. Just like being IN the ark of Noah saved men from the judgment of the flood. Nodding in agreement that an ark of Noah was sitting there did not save anyone. Entering into the ark of Noah and having the door shut behind them saved them from judgment.

To enter into the ark of Noah did not require one to have mastered all of the technical details of its construction. But to come into the ark was safety from judgment. The typology informs us of the need to enter into Jesus Christ.

Noah, his wife, Shem and his wife, Ham and his wife, and Japheth and his wife were people with offenses against God as well as the surrounding society. By how much, I don't know. But they by faith entered into the instrument of salvation, the ark.

Jesus Christ is the ark of God protecting us from eternal judgement. I am limited to a brief post here and not a chapter of a book.
  7. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 08:001 edit

When I worked in Manhattan NY in the Pan Am building I was on the 24th floor (if I recall). I sometimes would go look out of the window at the city of millions of people - millions. And I would say to myself. "Behold the Lamb of God Who takes away the sin of the world." .

The ONE sacrifice of Christ was enough to take away the sin of the whole world, however deep, however bloody, however heinous. One offering for all mankind bore the judgment of God's condemnation in one all-inclusive act.
  8. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 08:041 edit
    Bad sins were judged in Christ. Good sins (if such a thing exist) were judged. Public sins - judged, Private sins - judged. Forgivable sins - judged. Unforgivable sins - judged. All sins of men and women - judged in Christ. He was the Lamb of God taking away the sins of the world.

You are saying that it is perverse that not so bad sins were carried up in His body to the cross, but really, really bad sins should not have been. But He carried up all of our sins in His body to the cross.

This was like a blank check given upon which any amount of money may be written in.

It is God's will that the substitution work on our behalf only as we enter into the resurrected Christ and are joined to the living One. This is why Paul said that if Christ be not raised (as in your 'Jesus while He walked on earth' disbelief ) they were still in their sins.

" And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is futile; you are still in your sins." (1 Cor. 15:17)
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 15:36
    Does God have foreknowledge that a person will commit the unforgivable sin?
  10. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 18:112 edits
    Does God have foreknowledge that a person will commit the unforgivable sin?
    JS357, Concerning mysterious matters like foreknowledge and predestination, this is how I would advise all seekers for truth:

USE the teaching of predestination positively, always.
    Assume that God has predestinated only and all positive outcome for you and THANK Him up front.

An example of a good prayer.

"Dear God, I just read about predestination and foreknowledge. In faith I want to THANK YOU for predestinating me to be saved in the Lord Jesus Christ, to be overcoming, to be victorious, to be set apart for You and to be Yours forever in eternal life.

By faith O Lord Jesus, I thank You for Your foreknowledge and Your predestination in my forgiveness and salvation. Amen."

Let predestination work FOR you in a positive and merciful way by faith. God will honor this. God will honor this exercise of just a little faith in your heart.

Don't moan "Oh, maybe God knew all along that I would be LOST forever. Oh, maybe God predestination me to perish away from Him."

Turn it all around and THANK God for whatever foreknowledge or predestination He has concerning you.
    Use predestination rather than torture yourself with anxiety about it.

Amen.
    Thankyou Lord Jesus.
  11. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 18:481 edit
    Don't be a fool man. Use God's predestination to work mightily the grace to overcome.

How good it would be to awake each morning with a prayer something like this:

Good morning Lord Jesus! I thank You that You have absolutely FOREKNOWN that I would be a victorious Christian. I praise You that you have absolutely PREDESTINATED me to be a Christian full of the Holy Spirit, walking in grace and victory today.

Lord Jesus, I don't believe my failures. I believe the power of Your predestination and Your foreknowledge."
  12. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 20:01
    JS357, Concerning mysterious matters like foreknowledge and predestination, this is how I would advise all seekers for truth:

Assume that God has predestinated only and all positive outcome for you and THANK Him up front.

[quote] "Dear God, I just read about pred ...[text shortened]... edestination rather than torture yourself with anxiety about it.

Amen.
    Thankyou Lord Jesus.
    So the answer is yes, God has foreknowledge of any of his created humans committing the unforgivable sin, and creates them anyway.

Is God free to create a world in which all have free will to commit the unforgivable sin, but no one chooses to do so?
  13. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    19 Jan '18 20:511 edit

[quote] "Dear God, I just read about pred ...[text shortened]... edestination rather than torture yourself with anxiety about it.

Amen.
    Thankyou Lord Jesus.
    Cool. But back to the chap who committed the only sin that cannot be forgiven, something God knew would happen in advance but allowed to happen anyway,....even though this would result in eternal torment...

Edit: Predestination goes both ways buddy. That's the flaw in your morning prayer.
  14. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    20 Jan '18 13:301 edit
    So the answer is yes, God has foreknowledge of any of his created humans committing the unforgivable sin, and creates them anyway.

Is God free to create a world in which all have free will to commit the unforgivable sin, but no one chooses to do so?

Predestination, free will and divine foreknowedge are so mysterious that I don't think anyone fully understands them,

So I observe how they are used in the Bible itself. It seems that we are taught to hope in such a all-inclusive and all-encompassing eternal and infinite Mind.

For instance:

"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose." (Rom. 8:28)

Less worthwhile pursuits:

Try to figure out who He called and who He did not.
    Try to figure out how fair each case is.
    Over speculate on the circular reasoning problems.
    Contemplate the cause and effect paradox of all this.

These are all exercises which usually only go to the glory of man's intellect that he may boast about how analytical he is. This is vain-glory.

More worthwhile pursuits:

Tell God that you love Him.
    Tell God that you trust His eternal abilities to engineer all
    things for good.
    Trust that "all things" working together for good annuls every misfortune you have ever had. God can cause them ALL , no matter how unfortunate. to work out for blessing.

Notice God's predestination and foreknowledge in the life of Joseph in Genesis. God meant it for good. All the misfortune heaped on Joseph from his brothers, god caused to work for Joseph's AND his brother's blessing.

Notice how even the execution of the Son of God turned out as great fortune to the world that we may be redeemed.

So I offered an example of prayer, pragmatically putting our trust in God's tremendous transcendent wisdom.

This increases our enjoyment of God and fills our lives up more with Christ.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does such a contemplation add more Christ to my life?
    Then I will pursue it.

If all it does is influence me to lean on my own understanding, it is not that worthwhile.
  15. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    20 Jan '18 14:022 edits
    Don't be a fool man. Use God's predestination to work mightily the grace to overcome.

How good it would be to awake each morning with a prayer something like this:

Good morning Lord Jesus! I thank You that You have absolutely FOREKNOWN that I would be a victorious Christian. I praise You that you have absolutely PREDESTINATED me to be a Chr ...[text shortened]... elieve my failures. I believe the power of Your predestination and Your foreknowledge."
    The only problem I have with that prayer is that coming from me it would not be sincere. Edit: I will wait until I mean it sincerely, if that day comes.

Now, can God choose to create a world in which everyone freely chooses not to commit the unforgivable sin? Edit: This is not all that mysterious, the answer is yes.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree