1. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    25 Jan '18 13:213 edits
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    I certainly don't see the Bible as "the inerrant word of God" or even that all words/actions attributed to Jesus were spoken/done by him.

So when it agrees with his humanist modernist philosophy, he'll maybe accept that as authoritative.

If he doesn't find there words conforming to his modernist humanism, those words are to be discarded as not from God.

However, I do believe that, by and large, the words that were attributed to Him while he walked the Earth are reasonably sound and reasonably coherent within themselves and that many of them fly in the face of the mythology and beliefs that have been created around Him since His death.

In other words words of Jesus to the effect that He would rise from the dead, He didn't speak. And though a huge amount of the New Testament is firmly dedicated to His resurrection, that is myth.

Now if a skeptic comes along, he may admit this more voluntarily. But if a Bible believing Christian crosses his path he is liable to stealthfully gain an advantage posing as a one firmly standing on Jesus' WORDS --- that is some of Jesus' WORDS, that will help him fight against most of the New Testament teaching.

And this is what happens between two such people when the Christian can detect the scheme.

The retired pastor acknowledged that in order to resolve those conflicts, he revises and/or dismisses the words of Jesus. (Hence his acknowledgement that in doing so, he "essentially [makes] the New Testament/Bible his 'Lord' rather than Jesus." ) From what I can tell, this is what the vast majority of Christians do. This despite the fact that Jesus repeatedly said to follow HIS words, HIS commandments, etc. They should be revising/dismissing the words of the the NT writers around His instead.

Jesus did say to believe His words.
    Jesus also said to follow Him, Himself

If ToO had not cut off the 21rst chapter of John from John's Gospel, he might have noticed -

"And Jesus said to him, If I want him to remain until I come, what is that to you? You follow Me!" (John 21:22)

Before His death, He uttered as significant words. He did not just come with a truth or a way. He said He WAS the way and the truth and the divine life.

"Thomas said to Him, Lord we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?

Jesus said to him, I am the way, and the reality, and the life; no one comes to the Father except through Me." (John 14:5,6)

And I don't care if some retired pastor calls referring to these words of Jesus as making the Bible my Lord.
  2. PenTesting
    Moves
    25 Jan '18 20:45
    Originally posted by @rajk999
    I cant help but wonder what in this passage from Christ:

Jesus answered them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whosoever committeth sin is the servant of sin. And the servant abideth not in the house for ever: but the Son abideth ever. If the Son therefore shall make you free, ye shall be free indeed. (John 8:34-36 KJV)

.. is in conflict with th ...[text shortened]... the Apostles said the very same thing.

Can you provide some examples of what you are saying?
    I guess you don't know
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '18 21:472 edits
    Originally posted by @sonship
    No, You face it.

No dishonesty on my part in this.
    And you get no apology.

Anytime you come to me thumping on [b]John 8:35,36
    as if to say it is so authoritative, and so binding, and so much the final undeliable word of Jesus, and so representative of the essence of the Gospel and holding close to your vest tha ...[text shortened]... y from me for how you dealt with this Christian. And I wish I could tell it to your face.[/b]
    The fact remains that the following accusation you made on this thread is in the present tense.:
    It is you who will not be candid about some matters like rejecting... the authority of the New Testament. Your method of kind of hoping no one will notice such momentous negations of the Gospel I consider huge side-stepping in a covert way...Where is the post from you directly stepping into an admission of rejecting probably 80% of the New Testament as a myth?

As I've shown, the fact remains that it is a false accusation. The fact remains that it is dishonest. It is not only an ad hominem attack, it is a lie.

I've now shown more than a couple of posts going back to 2012 which prove that it's a lie. There are many more where they came from, going back even further. If this site provided a decent forum post database search, it would be easy to find them.

Instead of admitting it and apologizing, you've chosen to compound it by proclaiming things such as "No dishonesty on my part in this" - which is yet another lie.

Face it jaywill. You can't get out of being a liar by continuing to lie.

You got caught in a lie. Simply admit it and apologize instead of allowing your pride to keep getting in the way.

Little wonder that you can't understand the gospel preached by Jesus:
    John 8
    43“Why do you not understand what I am saying? It is because you cannot hear My word. 44“You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature, for he is a liar and the father of lies. 45“But because I speak the truth, you do not believe Me.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '18 22:00
    Originally posted by @sonship
    I certainly don't see the Bible as "the inerrant word of God" or even that all words/actions attributed to Jesus were spoken/done by him.

So when it agrees with his humanist modernist philosophy, he'll maybe accept that as authoritative.

If he doesn't find there words conforming to his modernist humanism, those words are to be discard ...[text shortened]... care if some retired pastor calls referring to these words of Jesus as making the Bible my Lord.
    Before His death, He uttered as significant words. He did not just come with a truth or a way. He said He WAS the way and the truth and the divine life.

"Thomas said to Him, Lord we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?
    Jesus said to him, I am the way, and the reality, and the life; no one comes to the Father except through Me." (John 14:5,6)

Here too Jesus is speaking of the gospel that He preached during His ministry.He is speaking of the words He spoke while He walked the Earth.

What do you think Jesus means by it? Back it up with the gospel that Jesus preached during His ministry - words He spoke while He walked the Earth.
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    30 Jan '18 12:192 edits
    Originally posted by @thinkofone
    Here too Jesus is speaking of the gospel that He preached during His ministry.He is speaking of the words He spoke while He walked the Earth.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    John 20 is His speaking AFTER His resurrection.

You get mad when I say you are being sneaky.
    But you should come right out and admit that you think John 20's events are lies artificially tampered with to create the untrue myth of His resurrection.

At any rate Christians rightly understand and believe these are words and actions of the Son of God between His resurrection and His ascension to the third heavens.

What do you think Jesus means by it? Back it up with the gospel that Jesus preached during His ministry - words He spoke while He walked the Earth.

------------------------------------------------------

It is pretty self explanatory.
    Thomas, the one insisting on real scientific empirical evidence of a risen Jesus is accommodated.

The episode ends with Thomas confessing that the Man Jesus, the RISEN Man Jesus is Lord and God Himself.
    Rather than scold him, Jesus confirms him - "Because you have seen Me you have believed."

Significant is the closing words the apostle John adds:

" Moreover indeed many other signs also Jesus did before His disciples, which are not written in this book.

But these have been written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God, and that believing you may have life in His name." (John 20:20,21)

Stop being suspicious that a conspiracy is out to get you.
    Humble yourself and let Jesus Christ subdue you.
    Let Him be your Lord. You'll be JOYOUS and forgiven and feel just right - having taken up the right place in His kingdom.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree