The Only Sin that God Cannot Forgive

The Only Sin that God Cannot Forgive

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
16 Jan 18

Is the title of this thread correct, or should it say God could, but will not, forgive? That is, was this a freely made decision by God? If so, what could have happened that would make Him unable to forgive a particular sin?

Moves
16 Jan 18

Originally posted by @js357
Is the title of this thread correct, or should it say God could, but will not, forgive? That is, was this a freely made decision by God? If so, what could have happened that would make Him unable to forgive a particular sin?
If he can not forgive than he is not omnipotent. If he doesn't want to forgive he isn't benevolent. Some god, no?

E

Moves
16 Jan 18

Originally posted by @kegge
If he can not forgive than he is not omnipotent. If he doesn't want to forgive he isn't benevolent. Some god, no?
This is God's creation. He gets to call the shots. Such are the breaks.

Your opinion, my opinion... It all means squat.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
16 Jan 18

Originally posted by @thinkofone
How is a conception of God wherein God can forgive every imaginable atrocity - serially murdering and torturing others, serially raping children, etc. - but cannot forgive an individual for not believing that "that Jesus is God and flesh" or not having "a faithful, independent trust in the work of Christ upon the cross who cleansed us from our sins" not ...[text shortened]... erse?

People believe in such a conception of God only because it is so self-serving to do so.
The premise is wanting, so any work which follows will produce less-than satisfactory results.
All sins have been removed from the conversation, so, by default, there are no unforgivable sins to get worked up over.
All paid, all resolved.

The only question left: your work or His work?
Will you stand before God on the basis and merit of your work, or are you willing to consider it all worthless currency in His economy and accept His golden ticket in its place?

I don't know of anyone who isn't self-serving.
Some are just better at it than others.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
16 Jan 18

Originally posted by @freakykbh
The premise is wanting, so any work which follows will produce less-than satisfactory results.
All sins have been removed from the conversation, so, by default, there are no unforgivable sins to get worked up over.
All paid, all resolved.

The only question left: your work or His work?
Will you stand before God on the basis and merit of your work, or ...[text shortened]... lace?

I don't know of anyone who isn't self-serving.
Some are just better at it than others.
Sounds like the gospel according to Freaky. Lets hear the Gospel according to Christ.

So please quote where Christ said :

.All sins have been removed from the conversation, so, by default, there are no unforgivable sins to get worked up over.

One passage with do. Thank you.

F

Unknown Territories

Moves
17 Jan 18

Originally posted by @rajk999
Sounds like the gospel according to Freaky. Lets hear the Gospel according to Christ.

So please quote where Christ said :

.All sins have been removed from the conversation, so, by default, there are no unforgivable sins to get worked up over.

One passage with do. Thank you.
You don't want resolution; you want argument.
Other times, I would have obliged you.
No longer interested in helping you waste your energy or me, mine.
Is there any other ground you consider worth sharing?

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
17 Jan 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @freakykbh
You don't want resolution; you want argument.
Other times, I would have obliged you.
No longer interested in helping you waste your energy or me, mine.
Is there any other ground you consider worth sharing?
I guess you have no references from Christ. Ok how about Paul. Got anything?

And don't lie. You have never provided supporting references for anything you stated

Moves
17 Jan 18

Originally posted by @eladar

In spite of that, it’s funny how people put their words into God’s mouth. Some of them put an entire book in there.

Moves
18 Jan 18

Originally posted by @eladar

That is YOUR opinion.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Jan 18
4 edits

Originally posted by @thinkofone
Not sure how this logically follows, but okay.

Do you not find incredibly perverse a conception of God wherein God can forgive every imaginable atrocity - serially murdering and torturing others, serially raping children, etc. - but cannot forgive an individual for not believing that "that Jesus is God and flesh" or not having "a faithful, independent trust in the work of Christ upon the cross who cleansed us from our sins"?
No. I do not see perverseness. But I see salvation as the New Testament says it - being in Christ. The salvation IS Christ. So being in the living Person of Christ one is in the salvation.

Now I'm sorry. But you're just going to have to put up with my bible thumping because I want you to know WHY I say this is the NT teaching.

" But of Him you are IN Christ Jesus, who became wisdom to us from God ..." (1 Cor. 1:30a)

The saved are put INTO the realm of a resurrected and living Person, Christ Jesus.

"So then if anyone is IN Christ, he is a new creation ... " (2 Cor. 5:17a)

Your Christ is "as he walked on earth" . Which is code word for a modernist "He's DEAD folks". The New Testament's teaching is Christ is alive and a Person we can be put into.

" In that day [resurrection day] you will know that I am in My Father, and you IN Me, and I in you." (John 14:20)

Though that day has historically came it has not come for you in subjective experience. For you do not understand that the salvation is to be IN the sphere of this living Person, the Lord Jesus.

Having said that, I know that this short post does not deal directly with all the objections you raised.

You see salvation as intellectual nodding in agreement. But the New Testament says it is being put INTO the living Person Who Himself IS the salvation.

F

Moves
18 Jan 18

Originally posted by @sonship
No. I do not see perverseness. But I see salvation as the New Testament says it - being in Christ. The salvation IS Christ. So being in the living Person of Christ one is in the salvation.

Now I'm sorry. But you're just going to have to put up with my bible thumping because I want you to know WHY I say this is the NT teaching.

[quote] [b] " But of Him ...[text shortened]... But the New Testament says it is being put INTO the living Person Who Himself IS the salvation.
Do you believe that there are no unforgivable "sins"?

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
18 Jan 18
1 edit

Originally posted by @fmf
Since you have taken up my challenge and started a thread with a more positive tone about your own beliefs, I am a little more inclined to answer your question.

Since the word says to me something about an unforgivable sin, I believe the Bible. It must be.

Every sin except that one can be forgiven.

F

Moves
18 Jan 18

FMF: Do you believe that there are no unforgivable "sins"?

Since the word says to me something about an unforgivable sin, I believe the Bible. It must be.

Every sin except that one can be forgiven.
So why are you taking this up with a non-believer who doesn't think there is any such thing as "sin" and not with the Christian who made the claim?

F

Moves
18 Jan 18

Since you have taken up my challenge and started a thread with a more positive tone about your own beliefs, I am a little more inclined to answer your question.
You're not trying to disguise your pompous vanity, I see.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
18 Jan 18

Originally posted by @fmf
What does the bible say???

The unforgivable sin refers to actions accompanied by an attitude that keeps a sinner from ever receiving God’s forgiveness. How could such a disposition develop?

God forgives those who repent of their sins, follow his standards in their life, and exercise faith in Jesus Christ. (Acts 3:19, 20) However, a person can become so set in following a sinful course that he will never change his attitude or conduct. The Bible describes such a person as having “a wicked heart” that has “become hardened by the deceptive power of sin.” (Hebrews 3:12, 13) Like clay that has been fired in a kiln and that can never be reshaped, the person’s heart has become permanently opposed to God. (Isaiah 45:9) There could never be a basis for such a person to be forgiven, so he is guilty of the unforgivable, or unpardonable, sin.—Hebrews 10:26, 27.

Some Jewish religious leaders in Jesus’ day committed the unforgivable sin. They knew that God’s holy spirit was the force behind Jesus’ miracles, yet they maliciously said that he got his power from Satan the Devil.—Mark 3:22, 28-30.

Examples of sins that can be forgiven

Blasphemy due to ignorance. The apostle Paul had once been a blasphemer, but he later said: “I was shown mercy because I acted in ignorance and with a lack of faith.”—1 Timothy 1:13.
Adultery. The Bible mentions some who at one time committed adultery but who changed their conduct and were forgiven by God.—1 Corinthians 6:9-11.
“Have I committed the unforgivable sin?”

If you sincerely hate your past course of sin and truly want to change, then you have not committed the unforgivable sin. God can forgive even repeated relapses into the same sin as long as your heart has not permanently hardened against him.—Proverbs 24:16.

Some people feel that they may have committed an unforgivable sin because they are troubled by nagging feelings of guilt. However, the Bible teaches that we cannot always trust our feelings. (Jeremiah 17:9) God has not authorized us to judge anyone—even ourselves. (Romans 14:4, 12) He can forgive us even when our own heart still condemns us.—1 John 3:19, 20.

Did Judas Iscariot commit an unforgivable sin?

Yes, he did. His greed moved him to steal money that had been donated for a sacred use. He even pretended to be concerned about the poor when his real interest was to acquire more money to steal. (John 12:4-8) Once Judas’ heart had become permanently set in doing wrong, he betrayed Jesus for 30 pieces of silver. Jesus knew that Judas could never truly repent for what he had done, and he called him “the son of destruction.” (John 17:12) This meant that when Judas died, he would suffer permanent destruction, with no hope for a resurrection.—Mark 14:21.

Judas did not show true repentance for his sin. He confessed, not to God, but to the religious leaders he had conspired with.—Matthew 27:3-5; 2 Corinthians 7:10.