1. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    15 Sep '10 18:19
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    mmm, it depends what you mean volition? do you mean like a wilful kind of predisposition to one view or another?
    I mean, when I make a choice, do have any choice over which choice I choose? I read an article recently - not too sure if it was Scientific American or New Scientist or possibly elsewhere - that had some pretty strong evidence that a choice is made significantly prior to the subject actually making the decision. The implication as I understood it being that consciousness is a mechanism for rationalising the decisions rather than making them.
  2. Standard membercaissad4
    Child of the Novelty
    San Antonio, Texas
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 11:17
    Originally posted by huckleberryhound
    Who mentioned religion? your response is pointless.
    I'm sorry. I thought since you were discussing god that you were suggesting some kind of religious beliefs. I have made a note to self that god has nothing to do with religion. Thanks for the insight. 😀
  3. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 13:17
    Originally posted by caissad4
    I'm sorry. I thought since you were discussing god that you were suggesting some kind of religious beliefs. I have made a note to self that god has nothing to do with religion. Thanks for the insight. 😀
    I made no refernce to God except in response to 667joe. What you name this hypothetical creator of man is your buisness, i prefer to name him/her/it/them "the hypothetical creator"...if you want to restrict your thinking to your perception of a creator i applaud your linear thinking....well done you.
  4. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 14:21
    Originally posted by 667joe
    It is pretty well accepted that life originated without supernatural being.
    It is also accepted by many that life was started by God supernaturally too.
    Kelly
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 15:08
    Science has proven that it is possible to create life. We have cloned existing life, we have grown parts of one creature on another, there is even a guy who has made an organism from scratch. So, the act of creating a creature from what is already here (let's accept that animals are indigenous) such as us is plausible for a species who have attained ...[text shortened]... if that description was retold over 1500 years what would the description transform into?
    Possible, yes, plausible...not so much.

We are struggling to find signs of any life out there, let alone a vastly advanced one (which would supposedly be seeding planets with many thousands of years ago).

Also, evolution is a phenomenon complex enough that it would be virtually impossible that some entity planting a unicellular organism on Earth could predict that evolution after millions of years would lead to man. So even if some advanced extraterrestrial form somehow planted unicellular life on Earth, I hardly think they qualify as a "creator".
  6. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 15:42
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Possible, yes, plausible...not so much.

We are struggling to find signs of any life out there, let alone a vastly advanced one (which would supposedly be seeding planets with many thousands of years ago).

Also, evolution is a phenomenon complex enough that it would be virtually impossible that some entity planting a unicellular organism on Earth could ...[text shortened]... al form somehow planted unicellular life on Earth, I hardly think they qualify as a "creator".
    500 years ago they were saying the same things about travelling in space as you just said about " finding any signs of any life out there".

Evolution has nothing to do with the creation of a species...i'm not talking about a creator creating a unicellular organism, i'm talking about a creator that created man. Was there life on the planet before the creation of man ? I'm open to both options. If the earth was an unwashed petri dish, thn animals could've been an earlier experiment...or a reason for man's creation in the first place.
  7. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 16:04
    Is it possible to disprove that the origins of human life on Earth was precipitated by a higher being, or that a higher being was responsible for life on this planet?

Huck
    No.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 17:241 edit
    500 years ago they were saying the same things about travelling in space as you just said about " finding any signs of any life out there".

Evolution has nothing to do with the creation of a species...i'm not talking about a creator creating a unicellular organism, i'm talking about a creator that created man. Was there life on the planet before could've been an earlier experiment...or a reason for man's creation in the first place.
    Like I said, only contradictory statements are impossible. So it's possible that there was a creator and it's possible to one day prove (as much as one can prove anything) there wasn't one. So possibility means almost nothing. For example, it's possible that the world has 100 million unicorns and nobody ever saw one. It's just very, very, very improbable.

You can speculate all you want, but if history has told us anything is that we're lousy predictors of the future. If you look at how people in the 50s thought the world would be in 2000 you would see how they have missed the mark completely. Retro-futurism is a trend that gets its kicks out of this.

What we can talk about is present day scientific views. And the fact is that present day biologists are extremely consensual in supporting mankind's evolution. And that we have no evidence of any remotely close (in space terms) intelligent life form.
  9. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    16 Sep '10 18:48
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    No.
    We have a winner.
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    17 Sep '10 10:09
    Like I said, only contradictory statements are impossible. So it's possible that there was a creator and it's possible to one day prove (as much as one can prove anything) there wasn't one. So possibility means almost nothing. For example, it's possible that the world has 100 million unicorns and nobody ever saw one. It's just very, very, very improbable.
    ...[text shortened]... nd that we have no evidence of any remotely close (in space terms) intelligent life form.
    No "hard evidence" , no (of intelligent life). But plenty of eyewitness evidence. And since the subject matter is spiritual, 3-d evidence would probably be pointing in the wrong direction anyway..
  11. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    17 Sep '10 10:181 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    No "hard evidence" , no (of intelligent life). But plenty of eyewitness evidence. And since the subject matter is spiritual, 3-d evidence would probably be pointing in the wrong direction anyway..
    The subject matter isn't spiritual (in the metaphysic sense), it's about empirical "proof" or scientific evidence. huck repeated that several times.

As for the eyewitnesses, well, there are also witnesses that saw Yetis, Bigfoots, Loch Ness monsters, etc. As far as I'm concerned, if it's not replicable then it's not (scientific) evidence.
  12. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    17 Sep '10 10:47
    The subject matter isn't spiritual (in the metaphysic sense), it's about empirical "proof" or scientific evidence. huck repeated that several times.

As for the eyewitnesses, well, there are also witnesses that saw Yetis, Bigfoots, Loch Ness monsters, etc. As far as I'm concerned, if it's not replicable then it's not (scientific) evidence.
    So we've agreed the feasibility of a creator, it's just the plausibility we are stuck on, right?

Plausibility that can't be disproven with any information at hand.
  13. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    17 Sep '10 11:03
    So we've agreed the feasibility of a creator, it's just the plausibility we are stuck on, right?

Plausibility that can't be disproven with any information at hand.
    But do we agree that agreeing on feasibility means very little (see my 100 million unicorn example)?

I don't know how one would go about proving or disproving plausibility. What I'm saying is that the current scientific paradigm accepts that man evolved from a single cell organism.

I'm just saying that if you're looking for scientific support for it then you won't find much. But I'm not here to attack belief in God, I think science is a pretty good way to obtain new knowledge, but it's not the only one.
  14. Standard memberhuckleberryhound
    Devout Agnostic.
    DZ-015
    Moves
    17 Sep '10 11:10
    But do we agree that agreeing on feasibility means very little (see my 100 million unicorn example)?

I don't know how one would go about proving or disproving plausibility. What I'm saying is that the current scientific paradigm accepts that man evolved from a single cell organism.

I'm just saying that if you're looking for scientific support for it th ...[text shortened]... I think science is a pretty good way to obtain new knowledge, but it's not the only one.
    Current scientific theories on evolution are no more fact than any religious (though not all) theories - facts held together with supposition.
  15. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    17 Sep '10 11:11
    Current scientific theories on evolution are no more fact than any religious (though not all) theories - facts held together with supposition.
    Really? How do you come to that conclusion?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree