1. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 22:221 edit
    Originally posted by Halitose
    I see... My apologies for the brief hijack; you were saying...
    Oh, we were just investigating whether there was any truth to ivanhoe's latest martyr-like claim, or whether it was completely without merit like the rest.
  2. Standard memberDavid C
    Flamenco Sketches
    Spain, in spirit
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 22:30
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    [b]
    In fact these baseless accusations are part of the continuous harrassment I have to endure, because I am an orthodox Roman-Catholic.

Does the persecution that ivanhoe speaks of exist?

Do there exist any Roman Catholics on this site who are not continuously harrassed?[/b]
    Yes, Doctor, it's quite the RHP kristallnacht, isn't it?

Originally posted by Halitose
    I find this very distasteful. I suggest we give Ivanhoe a break, cut him some slack. What'd'ya say?

Yet you found the vitrolic ad homenim directed at me specifically "Cheeky". I see.
  3. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 22:31
    Oh, we were just investigating whether there was any truth to ivanhoe's latest martyr-like claim, or whether it was completely without merit like the rest.
    Do you have an opinion as to why you, bbarr, Nemesio, and some others are often labeled as persecutors, while RBHill who is quite vocal about his anti-Catholic views receives a free pass?
  4. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 22:37
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    Do you have an opinion as to why you, bbarr, Nemesio, and some others are often labeled as persecutors, while RBHill who is quite vocal about his anti-Catholic views receives a free pass?
    Because there is actually compelling substance behind our "attacks" that make ivanhoe uncomfortable. RBHILL et al. are all bark and no bite.
  5. London
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 23:07
    Originally posted by ivanhoe
    [b]
    In fact these baseless accusations are part of the continuous harrassment I have to endure, because I am an orthodox Roman-Catholic.

Does the persecution that ivanhoe speaks of exist?

Do there exist any Roman Catholics on this site who are not continuously harrassed?[/b]
    I don't think ivanhoe is harassed because he's Catholic - but I do think he's harassed. And I'm guessing it's because he has a short fuse.

I'm a Catholic on the site - but I don't feel harassed by anyone except no1 (but I guess he does that to everyone). Oh and there's frogstomp as well - but he keeps switching between the sublime and the ridiculuous.
  6. Standard memberDoctorScribbles
    BWA Soldier
    Tha Brotha Hood
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 23:13
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    I don't think ivanhoe is harassed because he's Catholic - but I do think he's harassed. And I'm guessing it's because he has a short fuse.

I'm a Catholic on the site - but I don't feel harassed by anyone except no1 (but I guess he does that to everyone). Oh and there's frogstomp as well - but he keeps switching between the sublime and the ridiculuous.
    There's your counterexample, ivanhoe. Your harrassment is not in fact due to your Catholicism, as I suspected. You'll have to come up with another theory. Is it as LH speculates, that your temper is at the root of the problem?
  7. London
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 23:13
    Because there is actually compelling substance behind our "attacks" that make ivanhoe uncomfortable. RBHILL et al. are all bark and no bite.
    Actually, it think it's because of sincerety - RBHill, for all his flaws, comes across as more sincere than the names mentioned.

Don't get me wrong - I think you guys are way ahead on the quality curve with 98% of your posts (even no1 when he does his research).

But the remaining 2% - that's just gamesmanship. And, AFAIK, RBHill has never engaged in personal attacks (not that I've seen - but I could be wrong).
  8. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 23:34

see there ya go, naming me , because I reject the right wing loonies that have run the RCC since 325 ad.
    somebody has to speak for the the trrue martyrs of Christianity, all those heretics like Bruno that were burnt at the stake, tortured and imprisoned etc etc.

Yes , there are many Martyred Catholics and most met their fate at the hands of their own Church. The same Church that now "regrets" being so monstrous , only they won't even admit that burning a human being to death is monstrous, and then add but after all he was a "heretic".
    As if a person that could torture and cook a human being would have enough understanding of Christ to be able to tell what heresy was!
  9. London
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 23:39
    Originally posted by frogstomp
    see there ya go, naming me , because I reject the right wing loonies that have run the RCC since 325 ad.
    somebody has to speak for the the trrue martyrs of Christianity, all those heretics like Bruno that were burnt at the stake, tortured and imprisoned etc etc.

Yes , there are many Martyred Catholics ...[text shortened]... an being would have enough understanding of Christ to be able to tell what heresy was!
    See what I mean?
  10. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 23:40
    See what I mean?
    tell me what do you have against the truth?
  11. London
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 23:421 edit
    tell me what do you have against the truth?
    According to the quote in the opening post of the thread, ivanhoe thinks everyone's out to get the Catholics. According to you, the Catholics are out to get everyone.
  12. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 23:501 edit
    According to the opening post of the thread, ivanhoe thinks everyone's out to get the Catholics. According to you, the Catholics are out to get everyone.
    according to me ,, the RCC has a long history of violently suppressing other christian groups even members of the RCC itself.
    I wouldnt know who the RCC is "out to get" but I can tell you this: unless it realizes how monstrous it's past actions actually were it will never get it right.
  13. London
    Moves
    22 Sep '05 23:53
    according to me ,, the RCC has a long history of violently suppressing other christian groups even members of the RCC itself.
    I wouldnt know who the RCC is "out to get" but I can tell you this: unless it realizes how monstrous it's past actions actually were it will never get it right.
    If the Church did, indeed, suppress "true Christianity" as you imply, then one of two things is true:

1. Christianity isn't "true" at all, and Christ wasn't who Christians say He was.
    or
    2. The Mormons are correct.
  14. Standard memberfrogstomp
    Bruno's Ghost
    In a hot place
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 00:03
    If the Church did, indeed, suppress "true Christianity" as you imply, then one of two things is true:

1. Christianity isn't "true" at all, and Christ wasn't who Christians say He was.
    or
    2. The Mormons are correct.
    Your first point defines only the Catholic view of what Christianity, Christians and Christ are : which is exactly why the tortures and murders took place throughout history.

I have no idea what the Mormons think
  15. London
    Moves
    23 Sep '05 00:09
    Your first point defines only the Catholic view of what Christianity, Christians and Christ are : which is exactly why the tortures and murders took place throughout history.

I have no idea what the Mormons think
    My first point defines what all Christians (except the Arians) say about Christ - that he was the Only-Begotten Son of God, was God Himself.

And btw, what do you think the Church experienced during the first four centuries of its existence?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree