The prayers of amputees

The prayers of amputees

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
02 Sep 08

I remember reading somewhere - must have been in some strange place - that the prayers of amputees are never answered. No matter how hard they pray, their limbs are never physically restored. The argument went, that God must be so displeased with amputees that none of them ever came close to having their limbs restored.

Any thoughts?

L

Moves
02 Sep 08

Originally posted by snowinscotland
I remember reading somewhere - must have been in some strange place - that the prayers of amputees are never answered. No matter how hard they pray, their limbs are never physically restored. The argument went, that God must be so displeased with amputees that none of them ever came close to having their limbs restored.

Any thoughts?
http://www.whydoesgodhateamputees.com/

P

weedhopper

Moves
03 Sep 08

This is the 2nd amputee prayer thread I've seen in as many days--a new fad must be developing and maybe I'm on the cusp of it 🙂

First, in the words of Barack Obama, "It's never a good idea to say "never"." I don't know every prayer uttered by an amputee nor the results thereof, and I doubt anyone else on earth does either. Second, why assume all amputees ptay for their limbs to be restored? Might they just as well pray for guidance, wisdom, strength to cope? To think all amputees are just moping around, praying for a limb to be restored is naroow thinking indeed.

s

Moves
03 Sep 08
1 edit

Originally posted by LemonJello
http://www.whydoesgodhateamputees.com/
thank you...

...It is not that God sometimes answers the prayers of amputees, and sometimes does not. Instead, in this situation there is a very clear line. God never answers the prayers of amputees. It would appear, to an unbiased observer, that God is singling out amputees and purposefully ignoring them...

F

Moves
03 Sep 08

I have a stone in my garden. It's a holy stone.

When I'm going to make a move in some of my games, I have two alternatives of moves, which one should I chose? So I go out to my holy stone and ask the stone, I fall on my knees, and ask the stone, weather I should do this or that. Then I go back to my computer and do one of the moves, knowing that the stone inspire me to do just that.

Sometimes the stone doesn't answer, the move I chosed wasn't the good one. But very often I do the right move, inspired by the stone, and eventually win the game.

Why doesn't the stone give me the right inspiration everytime? My explanation is that I've done something evil during the day, or that I don't have the right thoughts, or I am in toubt, or something, then it doesn't respond. But when the stone do respond, I always do the right move!

Is this a parallell to the issue of this thread? God hears prayers, but only when he wants to? Well, my stone does the same.

Cape Town

Moves
03 Sep 08

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
To think all amputees are just moping around, praying for a limb to be restored is naroow thinking indeed.
And to avoid the obvious point and try to make excuses for God is blinkered thinking indeed.
Since you appear not to have got the initial point, let me make it clearer:
1. God supposedly heals some people after they pray (or for other reasons).
2. God has never been known to heal an amputee.
3. What is the reason for the aparent discrimination against amputees.
4. Do not give an answer for the amputees which could equally well be applied to people with any other ailment as they appear to get healed.

Another way to put it is along the lines of FabianFnas' stone. God never appears to do anything that can not be explained in at least one other way. All Gods actions can only be attributed to God either based on faith (ie no good reason) or a weak statistical argument (which rarely stands up to a proper analysis).

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
03 Sep 08

Originally posted by FabianFnas
But very often I do the right move, inspired by the stone, and eventually win the game.
Sounds like a 3(b), if you ask me.... 😀

Moves
03 Sep 08

The fault here is in the perception of the nature of prayer.

Prayer is not the daily, one-sided petition of "God, I need ________" or "God, I'd like _________" or "God, please __________ for me". That's not a prayer, that's a miracle shopping wish list.

Prayer is a type of communion with the Creator, in whatever form one might wish to whatever one's idea of the Creator might be. My prayers have nothing to do with what I think I want or need. They are an expression of my appreciation for awareness of myself and others, for worship of all that I'm in awe of, and a recognition that I'm just a tiny speck in the big picture and that I'm realistic about that and I'm ok with that. What I do or say probably doesn't matter much to anything or anyone; but when I share a planet with over 6 billion humans alone, the mathematical odds are that I'm quite insignificant. I have to deal with a lot of garbage, just like the next person, but I appreciate what I've experienced - the highs and the lows. I'm ok with that.

Cape Town

Moves
03 Sep 08

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Sounds like a 3(b), if you ask me.... 😀
Do you think we could ban all theists on the grounds that they may unknowingly recieve assistance from a third party (God)? Or does that require us to actually believe in the existence of the third party too?
Certainly, praying for help in a Chess game is an attempt at cheating, whether or not the prayer is answered.

Cape Town

Moves
03 Sep 08

Originally posted by Badwater

Prayer is not the daily, one-sided petition of "God, I need ________" or "God, I'd like _________" or "God, please __________ for me". That's not a prayer, that's a miracle shopping wish list.

Prayer is a type of communion with the Creator, in whatever form one might wish to whatever one's i ...[text shortened]... I appreciate what I've experienced - the highs and the lows. I'm ok with that.
And yet another person trying to dodge the issue.

The real question is not why God does not answer their prayers (that is just a way to dress up the story), the real quesiton is why God is so picky about how he assists people and who he assists or alternatively whether or not God does actually assist people (as is claimed by some).

As for your feeling of insignificance, most Christians I have talked to about that claim that God is so inconcievably huge that he is quite capable of giving reasonable attention to every human being ever in existence.

I am not 'OK' with the lows. They are forced upon me and I have no choice about it. If I had a choice I would do without them.

F

Moves
03 Sep 08
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
Do you think we could ban all theists on the grounds that they may unknowingly recieve assistance from a third party (God)? Or does that require us to actually believe in the existence of the third party too?
Certainly, praying for help in a Chess game is an attempt at cheating, whether or not the prayer is answered.
I don't think God Almighty is a particular good chessplayer. If he was, why was the Sovjets so superiour? Why didn't christian side of the world win more?

No, He (User 341647) is not very good yet, but he is improving! 🙂

Moves
03 Sep 08

And yet another person trying to dodge the issue.

The real question is not why God does not answer their prayers (that is just a way to dress up the story), the real quesiton is why God is so picky about how he assists people and who he assists or alternatively whether or not God does actually assist people (as is claimed by some).

As for your feeli ...[text shortened]... y are forced upon me and I have no choice about it. If I had a choice I would do without them.
I am not trying to dodge the "issue". I only disagree about the nature of the issue. What you are saying is fine for your perspective and opinion but it's not the same perspective and opinion as mine; they're different critters in this case. Your "real" question is not mine and certainly I would never expect your "real" question to be answered by prayer. Anyone who intendeds to only engage in prayers of petition, or only sees prayers as those of petition, is of course going to be quite disappointed. As I say, that's not what is behind prayers (mine anyway), for I see no spiritual significance in that kind of prayer.

Of course you're not ok with the lows. I guess we all learn in our own way that we're specks. And if you don't become ok with that then the only one angering or hurting you is yourself. But that's just my opnion and you are entitled to your own and still can be correct.

P

weedhopper

Moves
04 Sep 08

2. God has never been known to heal an amputee.
As far as YOU know...

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
04 Sep 08

Originally posted by Badwater

Prayer is not the daily, one-sided petition of "God, I need ________" or "God, I'd like _________" or "God, please __________ for me". That's not a prayer, that's a miracle shopping wish list...
Does anywhere in the Bible mention that you SHOULD ask for what you need? Were any promises made in the Bible about asking/receiving? Is there any implication in the Bible that God knows what we need and will give it to us? Are we allowed to ask God for help in our lives? If so, then why can't amputated limbs be restored by prayer?

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
04 Sep 08

Originally posted by PinkFloyd
As far as YOU know...
Yes, well argued. If we, as a group, could look at the examples you know of?