1. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 09:11
    Originally posted by Great King Rat
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby

[b]Be thankful it wasn't a blizzard, hurricane or tornado. He holds the universe together by the word of His power and knows all about googlefudge and his family.

Did He temporally forget about the people in the Philippines?[/b]
    Gee next you will be blaming God for tanks and guns
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 09:11
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    You are merely demonstrating the fact that you have a spirituality.

I went to a humanist funeral once, same thing, lady giving the service talked about nature or the universal laws when she really meant God but could not bring herself to say it, sure you can substitute anything you like, but the fact remains, we have a spiritual side which we ar ...[text shortened]... nd as the Christ stated, 'happy are those conscience of their spiritual need'.

The zen master
    I agree, we all have a sense of spiritually. We marvel at the wonder of nature and the awe of the universe, it's just that some of us do that without having to subscribe to some ancient Jewish zombie story or whatever particular mythology takes your fancy. As Douglas Adams said -

'Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?'
  3. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 09:12
    Does God have the power to eliminate all tanks and guns if he so chooses?
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 09:24
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Does God have the power to eliminate all tanks and guns if he so chooses?
    God has infinite power.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 09:281 edit
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I agree, we all have a sense of spiritually. We marvel at the wonder of nature and the awe of the universe, it's just that some of us do that without having to subscribe to some ancient Jewish zombie story or whatever particular mythology takes your fancy. As Douglas Adams said -

'Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?'
    Perhaps if he had looked further he would have seen that these fairies were responsible for order, harmony, beauty, wisdom, power and love, instead he dismisses it and resigns himself to merely acknowledging the gardens elementary facets!

I don't appreciate your portrayal of the life and sacrifice of the Christ, its disrespectful and in the immortal words of Don Vito Corleone, 'what have I done for you to treat me so disrespectfully',

The zen master
  6. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 09:37
    ??????

What??????
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 09:493 edits
    ??????

What??????
    You build your house on the San Andreas fault and blame God when an earthquake hits? I suspect that we have seen an escalation in frequency and magnitude of weather systems and to blame it on God is just rich. Are you somehow failing to tke into consideration human activity? where do you mention in in your text? Try as i might i cannot find it anywhere all I see is the typical and predictable tabloid headline, Thousands die in hurricane, why God?

The zen master
  8. Cape Town
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 10:08
    Try as i might i cannot find it anywhere all I see is the typical and predictable tabloid headline, Thousands die in hurricane, why God?
    Because Grampy had suggested that God, due to his intimate knowledge of googlefudge and his family had ensured the weather in his area did not include a blizzard, hurricane or tornado. So it logically follows that if God took the trouble to ensure goolgefudge was safe then he can be deemed negligent in regards to the Philippines.
    If you have issues with this then take it up with Grampy.
  9. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 10:12
    Grampy Bobby wrote "Be thankful it wasn't a blizzard, hurricane or tornado. He holds the universe together by the word of His power and knows all about googlefudge and his family."

Apparently, Googlefudge should thank god that he hasn't been hit by a tornado. Therefore, if Googlefudge hád been hit by a tornado, he could have also "thanked" god for it.

On top of that, guns and tanks are human inventions and using theistic logic (...) god doesn't stop that because we have free will. However, we cannot do anything about tornado's. Well, you - all ~ 6 billion of you - could come live in The Netherlands where we almost have no tornado's and when we have one it's too small to be labeled a problem.

Oh, but wait, quite a few people (1836) lost their lives in 1953 when a storm hit us.

Where do you propose we all move to Robbie?
  10. Joined
    31 May '06
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 10:28
    Grampy Bobby wrote "Be thankful it wasn't a blizzard, hurricane or tornado. He holds the universe together by the word of His power and knows all about googlefudge and his family."

Apparently, Googlefudge should thank god that he hasn't been hit by a tornado. Therefore, if Googlefudge hád been hit by a tornado, he could have also "thanked" god for ...[text shortened]... 6) lost their lives in 1953 when a storm hit us.

Yeah, I have this problem whenever someone says "thank god" and actually means it.

You get people in a town where a tornado hits, and they come out of their shelter to
    find their neighbours house is a swept clean foundation stone with a toilet sticking out
    of it and a load of matchsticks lying all over the countryside and their house has two
    smashed windows and slightly damaged guttering. And they say thank god for saving us...

And I think, so you believe god took the trouble to save you, and found you to be worth
    saving, but your neighbours deserved to have their house flattened and all they
    property destroyed (and possibly lives taken).

If you believe god has the power and inclination to save people from physical harm in this
    world, then you have to believe that those that don't get saved deserved to get clobbered.

I don't understand how people can't see the problem with this.
  11. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 10:37
    That reminds me of Suzianne who once wrote that the USA has been "blessed" by god which is why the USA doesn't suffer much from wars (Pearl Harbor doesn't count because it wasn't American soil... or something like that). And apparently this "blessing" is getting less and less because the country is getting less and less religious. I thought that was fascinating.

Wish I could find the thread where she said that.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 10:462 edits

Apparently, Googlefudge should thank god that he hasn't been hit by a tornado. Therefore, if Googlefudge hád been hit by a tornado, he could have also "thanked" god for ...[text shortened]... 6) lost their lives in 1953 when a storm hit us.

how about somewhere safe? problem solved, panic over. Letr GB answer for his own words, google fudge for his.

As the latter is an irreverent blasphemer and a disbeliever, its Biblically apparent that he cannot receive Gods blessing (although God is impartial and makes the rain shine upon the righteous and the unrighteous giving fruitful seasons) and remains, as the scriptures indicate, a son of wrath, Gods wrath that is.
  13. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 10:491 edit
    Try a bit better man. There's no place called "Safe" that I know of. Where would you say it is "safe" to live?

Should the people in the Philippines move?
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 10:563 edits
    Try a bit better man. There's no place called "Safe" that I know of. Where would you say it is "safe" to live?

Should the people in the Philippines move?
    Sorry where is it you acknowledge that perhaps human activity is responsible for a preponderance in frequency and magnitude of extreme whether conditions, i cant find it anywhere.

As for those people in the Philippines who died as a consequence, its hard to say, I don't know enough about the terrain or the conditions under which they were sheltering, suffice to say, not all of them died leading me to believe that measures could and should have been taken to ensure their safety and from what I can gather, those measures included, hiding in a closet, which is hard to justify.

Should they move? they should certainly take measures to build hurricane proof houses. Don't you think?
  15. Joined
    24 Apr '10
    Moves
    22 Nov '13 11:111 edit
    Sorry where is it you acknowledge that perhaps human activity is responsible for a preponderance in frequency and magnitude of extreme whether conditions, i cant find it anywhere.

I don't think a tornado is caused by human activity. Do you? Care to back that up with some data? How about earth quakes? When the San Andreas one goes, is that because of human activity?

not all of them died leading me to believe that measures could and should have been taken to ensure their safety and from what I can gather, those measures included, hiding in a closet, which is hard to justify.

It's so simple! What we need to do is built massive amounts of closets and then send them to countries where nature strikes hardest! No more death!

And in case of an exploding atomic bomb what we need to do is simply hide in a fridge! That's totally been proven to work.

Should they move? they should certainly take measures to build hurricane proof houses. Don't you think?

I don't think it's possible to built houses that are guaranteed to resist these kinds of forces.

Tell me, when you watched the news about the Philippines, did you think "Yep stupid, should've built a better house!"

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree