The problem with atheism

The problem with atheism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

jb

Moves
24 Nov 13

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Oh dear it really was too difficult for you wasn't it?

I AM NOT THANKING IMAGINERY BEINGS

I am just being THANKFUL.

Thankful for my family, my food, my house, my health and after
reading your post extremely thankful for my intellect.

And just out of curiosity when did you last read a book?
Thankful to whom? Come now, fess up.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
24 Nov 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
There are other problems with atheism, one simply needs to ask the question, of what benefit is it?
Without resorting to your very optimistic after-life theory ...
of what benefit is religion?

What have you in your life that I do not have?

Moves
24 Nov 13

There's a problem?

rc

Moves
24 Nov 13
4 edits

Without resorting to your very optimistic after-life theory ...
of what benefit is religion?

What have you in your life that I do not have?
This is quite typical, the question is, of what benefit is atheism for its adherents, not how good is atheism in comparison to other religious stances (and before anyone attempts it, let me pre-empt you by stating that i hold atheism to be a matter of faith, considering that its adherents rely on unobserved phenomena) but seeing that you ask, I have an exemplar, the Christ, a set of readily defined moral principles, a sense of higher purpose (being part of a grand universal scheme), hope and comfort from scripture, scriptural examples, a world wide family of brothers and sisters, but of course, the question is, of what benefit is atheism, not how good is it to Christianity by comparison.

rc

Moves
24 Nov 13
1 edit

Originally posted by Great Big Stees
There's a problem?
Yes, what benefit does it bestow upon its adherents, if I adopt it, how will I be benefited, how will others be benefited and if its of no benefit then what's the point in adopting it?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
24 Nov 13

Yes, what benefit does it bestow upon its adherents, if I adopt it, how will I be benefited, how will others be benefited and if its on no benefit then what's the point in adopting it?
You can't 'adopt' it. You have to be convinced of it. Same goes for me and theism. Same goes for pretty much anyone. You can't just pick what you want to believe.

rc

Moves
24 Nov 13
1 edit

Originally posted by SwissGambit
You can't 'adopt' it. You have to be convinced of it. Same goes for me and theism. Same goes for pretty much anyone. You can't just pick what you want to believe.
Ok sure, lets fine tune it, if i am convinced of atheism, how will I and others be benefited? 😀

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
24 Nov 13

Originally posted by SwissGambit
So you must believe that we are all indoctrinated to believe what we do, right?

The Instructor

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
24 Nov 13

Ok sure, lets fine tune it, if i am convinced of atheism, how will I and others be benefited? 😀
There's no guarantee it will benefit you. You may feel a step closer to truth, or you may miss the comforts of the old belief. Different people react in different ways.

jb

Moves
24 Nov 13

Yes, what benefit does it bestow upon its adherents, if I adopt it, how will I be benefited, how will others be benefited and if its of no benefit then what's the point in adopting it?
You can have your whole family praying to the tooth fairy like wolfgang does.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
24 Nov 13

There are other problems with atheism, one simply needs to ask the question, of what benefit is it? If I adopt atheism, how will I and others be benefited and the answer is not entirely clear.

For the Christian by way of example can point towards a set of guiding principles, an exemplar, the Christ, a morality, a Christian one which acts like a b ...[text shortened]... ly clear just what benefit atheism bestows upon its standard bearer and why one should adopt it.
For starters you'll be able to read those pesky science books without fear that the words contained within might diminish your religious convictions. You'll no longer have to crumble and claim your closed minded and ignorant when discussing science which contradicts your religious beliefs.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
24 Nov 13

I have an exemplar,
1. the Christ,
2. a set of readily defined moral principles,
3. a sense of higher purpose (being part of a grand universal scheme),
4. hope and comfort from scripture, scriptural examples,
5. a world wide family of brothers and sisters,
I cannot see benefit in any of these except perhaps "hope and comfort".
1. What benefit?
2. I am quite capable of defining my own morals.
3. Shades of megalomania?
4. I concede that some take comfort from their religion.
5. Sounds creapy and to be avoided.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
24 Nov 13

Originally posted by joe beyser
You can have your whole family praying to the tooth fairy like wolfgang does.
Don't give up on that Reading Recovery program Joe!

jb

Moves
24 Nov 13

Don't give up on that Reading Recovery program Joe!
Grateful and thankful are not the same things. Deep down you feel like you are appreciative of a higher being for the life you are living now. No need to fight it. Acknowledge it and move forward my friend. In the meantime do you have the hooked on phonics number?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
25 Nov 13

Do you believe the earth goes around the sun?
If so, of what benefit is that knowledge to you?
What is the point of adopting your wild heliocentric belief?