The problem with atheism

The problem with atheism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Infidel

Moves
22 Nov 13

Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
1) "We can understand why natural disasters occur. What we do not understand is why God allows them to occur."

2) God still has a potential plan to provide meaning, purpose and definition to googlefudge's life as well as yours.
1) From your own text:

"God sometimes causes natural disasters as a judgement against sin."

It's why I asked for clarification. How do you feel about god causing natural disasters (as judgement)?

2) Can I assume then he no longer had "a potential plan to provide meaning, purpose and definition to the lives of the Philippine victims"?

rc

Moves
22 Nov 13

Originally posted by Proper Knob
I see you avoided my direct question above.
if you had come to me in friendship, but you treated my beliefs disrespectfully, i cannot have that.

rc

Moves
22 Nov 13

Originally posted by Great King Rat
If god can be thanked for saving Googlefudge from a tornado he can also be blamed for the death of the Philippine version of GF.

Right?
He can be blamed, it does not necessitate that he actually is to blame.

Infidel

Moves
22 Nov 13

Originally posted by wolfgang59
That storm is remembered in UK as taking 50 lives in Canvey Island.
I had no idea so many were lost in Holland.
Shame on me. 😞
To be honest until I looked it up on wikipedia today I had no idea that so many English and even Scottish were killed.

But yeah, I think here it was the moment where we decided never to take crap from the water ever again.

Not sure what we did to piss god of so severely that he decided it was a good idea to flood the country 8 years after WW2. Maybe he'd been rooting for Hitler.

Cornovii

North of the Tamar

Moves
22 Nov 13

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
if you had come to me in friendship, but you treated my beliefs disrespectfully, i cannot have that.
I see. What's so special about your religious beliefs that they have to be treated respectfully?

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
22 Nov 13

Originally posted by Great King Rat
1) From your own text:

It's why I asked for clarification. How do you feel about god causing natural disasters (as judgement)?

2) Can I assume then he no longer had "a potential plan to provide meaning, purpose and definition to the lives of the Philippine victims"?
"1) From your own text:

It's why I asked for clarification. How do you feel about god causing natural disasters (as judgement)? [His Omniscience makes and has made perfect decisions regarding all historical disasters; His timing is exquisite. Feelings? Reverential awe.]

2) Can I assume then he no longer had "a potential plan to provide meaning, purpose and definition to the lives of the Philippine victims?" [Human assumptions and speculations are fraught with error, though we may reasonably conclude that no one died indiscriminately. Each who perished as well as each who survived did so for reasons known only to Him.]

Moves
22 Nov 13

1) "We can understand why natural disasters occur. What we do not understand is why God allows them to occur."

2) God still has a potential plan to provide meaning, purpose and definition to googlefudge's life as well as yours.
I have meaning and purpose, My meaning and my purpose.

I neither need or want anyone else's.

Moves
22 Nov 13

"1) From your own text:

It's why I asked for clarification. How do you feel about god causing natural disasters (as judgement)? [His Omniscience makes and has made perfect decisions regarding all historical disasters; His timing is exquisite. Feelings? Reverential awe.]

2) C ...[text shortened]... iminately. Each who perished as well as each who survived did so for reasons known only to Him.]
Right. You have just here said that god is responsible for all historical disasters.
Either by causing them or allowing them to happen.

And you have said that those that died in those disasters were chosen specifically
to die, and that nobody died that shouldn't, and thus all those that died should have.

You have just said that everyone just killed in the Philippines deserved to die.

Give me one good reason I shouldn't despise you right now.

And don't you dare answer with riddles or questions.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
22 Nov 13
1 edit

Originally posted by googlefudge
I have meaning and purpose, My meaning and my purpose.

I neither need or want anyone else's.
Your decision.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
22 Nov 13
1 edit

Right. You have just here said that god is responsible for all historical disasters.
Either by causing them or allowing them to happen.

And you have said that those that died in those disasters were chosen specifically
to die, and that nobody died that shouldn't, and thus all those that died should have.

You have just said that everyone just ...[text shortened]... eason I shouldn't despise you right now.

And don't you dare answer with riddles or questions.
"Hundreds of millions of dollars in aid is sent to help the people who are suffering. Christian ministries have the opportunity to help, minister, counsel, pray, and lead people to saving faith in Christ! God can, and does, bring great good out of terrible tragedies." (Romans 8:28). http://www.gotquestions.org/natural-disasters.html

"The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off." -M. Pancoast

Moves
22 Nov 13

"Hundreds of millions of dollars in aid is sent to help the people who are suffering. Christian ministries have the opportunity to help, minister, counsel, pray, and lead people to saving faith in Christ! God can, and does, bring great good out of terrible tragedies." (Romans 8:28). http://www.gotquestions.org/natural-disasters.html

"The truth will set you free but first it will piss you off." -M. Pancoast
That was not a good enough answer.

Not even close.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
22 Nov 13
2 edits

"Christian ministries have the opportunity to help, minister, counsel, pray, and lead people to saving faith in Christ! God can, and does, bring great good out of terrible tragedies."
This is like saying hospitals would have more "opportunity" to help if
they infected people with diseases and knocked them down with
ambulances.

And as a Special Education Teacher I should be promoting alcohol
for pregnant women so that I have the "opportunity" of helping
more Fetal Alcohol Syndrome kids!

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
22 Nov 13

Originally posted by wolfgang59
This is like saying hospitals would have more "opportunity" to help if
they infected people with diseases and knocked them down with
ambulances.

And as a Special Education Teacher I should be promoting alcohol
for pregnant women so that I have the "opportunity" of helping
more Fetal Alcohol Syndrome kids!
This conversation has devolved into a festival of misreading, misinterpretation, distortion and impasse. Let's recess.

Boston Lad

USA

Moves
22 Nov 13
2 edits

That was not a good enough answer.

Not even close.
You've apparently closed your mind to any information that challenges your predisposed opinions.
We also lack a shared frame of reference; there's nothing I could say to change your thinking.

Moves
23 Nov 13

You've apparently closed your mind to any information that challenges your predisposed opinions.
We also lack a shared frame of reference; there's nothing I could say to change your thinking.
That is incorrect.

There is nothing you WILL say to change my mind.

But there are things you COULD say that would change it.

(like renouncing your view that the people who just died
in the Philippines, and every other natural disaster, deserved it.)

I am not the one with the closed mind.

I am not moving my position, not because I am closed minded or
incapable of moving my position...

But because my position is better than yours.

And until and unless that changes, I am not going to move
my position towards yours.

You have just stated that you believe that people killed in natural disasters
deserved it. That's morally repugnant and despicable.

Your refusal to renounce that means that I can, will, and should despise both
you and your position.

The fact that you can't see that your position is morally repugnant is both
an indictment of you AND the religion that has indoctrinated you.

You couldn't even take the issue seriously enough to post a thought out reply.

Instead you post a quote promoting your religions ambulance chasing tendencies
in the wake of disasters.