The problem with the dinosaurs

The problem with the dinosaurs

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
290d

@divegeester said
How did all the kinds of dinosaurs fit into the ark Josephw?
Noah got dinosaur eggs ... 😆

Über-Nerd

Moves
290d
1 edit

@divegeester said
If they didn’t then how did all their types fit into the Ark?

Read my OP.
And what did they eat? You have any idea how much a full-grown elephant eats in a day? 200 pounds a day, minimum, of foliage (up to 600 pounds if they are moving around, which of course they weren't on board an ark, so I took the lower figure). Multiply by 7 specimens, for several months. Now do the math for 7 elk, 7 moose, 7 caribou, 7 cattle, 7 buffalo, 7 antelope, 7 gazelles, 7 zebras, 7 horses, 7 donkeys, 7 wildebeests, and dinosaurs, too. These animals do NOT eat sea weed or fish! There was no space in an ark for that much fodder. And what did they drink? The rain stopped falling long before the waters subsided, and mammals cannot drink sea water. It doesn't add up just for the mammals, even without trying to squeeze dinosaurs on board.

And what did the lions, tigers, leopards, cougars, jaguars, and cheatas eat after they debarked? The big cats would have hunted the antelopes to extinction within a few days. Antelopes cannot procreate as fast as big cats get hungry. Lions do NOT eat grass!

Nil desperandum

Seedy piano bar

Moves
290d

@rajk999 said
The bible has no mention of anything resembling a dinosaur, but it mentions over 100 other animals. One would think that the biggest most feared animal would get some kind of press. Also if the dinosaurs did exist in the early days after the flood, they would have eradicated early mankind, and most of the animals, who had very little ability to defend themselves

The bi ...[text shortened]... revious creation and they were destroyed, therefore God said to this creation 'replenish the earth'.
Clearly there is no mention of dinosaurs in the Old Testament of the Bible is because primitive man who wrote Genesis etc had no concept of life 100’s of million years before them. Their simplistic attempt at explaining the Creation is rather cute. Scientifically, as we now know, incorrect, but a convenient theory at the time.

Über-Nerd

Moves
290d

@pianoman1 said
Clearly there is no mention of dinosaurs in the Old Testament of the Bible is because primitive man who wrote Genesis etc had no concept of life 100’s of million years before them. Their simplistic attempt at explaining the Creation is rather cute. Scientifically, as we now know, incorrect, but a convenient theory at the time.
I don't think it was intended as an explanation at all, and that is where literalists go wrong with it. It's not about mankind's whence, it's about mankind's wherefore. Reading it as history is a crude, materialistic, blunder.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
290d

@moonbus said
And what did they eat? You have any idea how much a full-grown elephant eats in a day? 200 pounds a day, minimum, of foliage (up to 600 pounds if they are moving around, which of course they weren't on board an ark, so I took the lower figure). Multiply by 7 specimens, for several months. Now do the math for 7 elk, 7 moose, 7 caribou, 7 cattle, 7 buffalo, 7 antelope, 7 gazell ...[text shortened]... ithin a few days. Antelopes cannot procreate as fast as big cats get hungry. Lions do NOT eat grass!
I think those who take these Genesis accounts literally take the initial statement about food prior to the fall of man ..

And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so. (Genesis 1:29-30 KJV)

So all people and animals were vegetarians, and only after the flood meat-eating began.

Nil desperandum

Seedy piano bar

Moves
290d
1 edit

@moonbus said
I don't think it was intended as an explanation at all, and that is where literalists go wrong with it. It's not about mankind's whence, it's about mankind's wherefore. Reading it as history is a crude, materialistic, blunder.
Surely Genesis is entirely an explanation of the Creation of the Universe, of how the cosmos came into being.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
290d

@pianoman1 said
Surely Genesis is entirely an explanation of the Creation of the Universe, of how the cosmos came into being.
And as such, it is a ridiculously simplistic how. It explains exactly nothing.

Nil desperandum

Seedy piano bar

Moves
290d

@suzianne said
And as such, it is a ridiculously simplistic how. It explains exactly nothing.
Obviously. See my previous post.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
290d
1 edit

@pianoman1 said
The Genesis creation account is just a few chapters. If you read it, tell me where in that account you get the impression that it ... is entirely an explanation of the Creation of the Universe, of how the cosmos came into being.

Nil desperandum

Seedy piano bar

Moves
290d

@rajk999 said
The Genesis creation account is just a few chapters. If you read it, tell me where in that account you get the impression that it ... is entirely an explanation of the Creation of the Universe, of how the cosmos came into being.
Genesis chapter 1

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
290d

@pianoman1 said
Genesis chapter 1
You can do better than that.

Nil desperandum

Seedy piano bar

Moves
290d

@rajk999 said
You can do better than that.
Well, I could quote the whole chapter, but I rather assumed you would refer to it yourself

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
290d

@pianoman1 said
Well, I could quote the whole chapter, but I rather assumed you would refer to it yourself
You made the statement that the Genesis creation account

... is entirely an explanation of the Creation of the Universe, of how the cosmos came into being..

You need to show where in the Genesis account you find that. I have read it and I see no such thing. Clearly you are just regurgating the rubbish you hear bible haters promote.

Nil desperandum

Seedy piano bar

Moves
290d

@rajk999 said
You made the statement that the Genesis creation account

... is entirely an explanation of the Creation of the Universe, of how the cosmos came into being..

You need to show where in the Genesis account you find that. I have read it and I see no such thing. Clearly you are just regurgating the rubbish you hear bible haters promote.
You appear very defensive! I have nowhere said I hate the Bible. On the contrary, it is a much-loved tome in my collection.
I am clearly missing something, but as I understand it Chapter 1 of Genesis is an account of how God created Light and Darkness, Heaven and Earth, Land and Sea, Vegetation, Stars, Night and Day, Beasts and Man. That seems to cover an explanation of the creation of the cosmos as early man saw it.

Kali

PenTesting

Moves
290d

@pianoman1 said
You appear very defensive! I have nowhere said I hate the Bible. On the contrary, it is a much-loved tome in my collection.
I am clearly missing something, but as I understand it Chapter 1 of Genesis is an account of how God created Light and Darkness, Heaven and Earth, Land and Sea, Vegetation, Stars, Night and Day, Beasts and Man. That seems to cover an explanation of the creation of the cosmos as early man saw it.
You have attacked Christians and Christianity before. Maybe you should deal with whatever problem you have. Although this is the first time I am responding to you, I have read your posts before and ignored them.

Now, your interpretation of the Genesis creation account ... where is Cosmos and universe stated or implied in . ... Light and Darkness, Heaven and Earth, Land and Sea, Vegetation, Stars, Night and Day, Beasts and Man.

Genesis is a description of how God created life on Earth, and the sun and stars which light up Earth both night and day. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the entire universe. The Milky Way Galaxy is the only thing man can see in the night sky with the exception of one other galaxy, That in no way can ever be interpreted as the Cosmos or universe. This galaxy is but a dot in the cosmos. Thtere are billions of other galaxies.

The Genesis account is about life on this planet, and how God created it. Literalists say it was done in 6 consecutuve 24 hr periods. My view of that is a 'day' in Genesis represents a time period. Chances are good that as far as God is concerned a day in His reckoning is a galactic day/time period, which is the time it takes for the galaxy to make a complete revolution on its axis, which is several hundred million years.