The suffering of Job

The suffering of Job

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
16 Sep 18

Originally posted by @chaney3
You're getting closer to something, and moving away from atheism....so it seems.
Not so. I am an "implicit atheist". In so far as I have been "moving" in the last 15-20 years, I have stopped being a Christian, "moved" away from it completely, and I have "moved " towards being an "explicit atheist".

c

Moves
16 Sep 18

Originally posted by @fmf
Not so. I am an "implicit atheist". In so far as I have been "moving" in the last 15-20 years, I have stopped being a Christian, "moved" away from it completely, and I have "moved " towards being an "explicit atheist".
About a month or two ago, in a thread name I cannot remember, you said you were keeping the "God option" open.
It had something to do with the way the brain works, and that's when you said you were an agnostic atheist.
You have your moments when God seems possible.

F

Moves
16 Sep 18

About a month or two ago, in a thread name I cannot remember, you said you were keeping the "God option" open.
It had something to do with the way the brain works, and that's when you said you were an agnostic atheist.
I am an atheist. I subscribe more or less to the wiki definition of "agnostic atheist" or an "implicit atheist", as opposed to an "explicit" one. I spent a long time as a Christian but I am not one anymore. I cannot imagine ever being one again.

c

Moves
16 Sep 18

I am an atheist. I subscribe more or less to the wiki definition of "agnostic atheist" or an "implicit atheist", as opposed to an "explicit" one. I spent a long time as a Christian but I am not one anymore. I cannot imagine ever being one again.
Okay. It is interesting how you were a Christian for so many years, are not one now, but still claim to follow the teachings of Jesus.
Since we've argued a lot in the past, you may take that statement the wrong way. Don't. I just find your situation interesting.

F

Moves
16 Sep 18

Okay. It is interesting how you were a Christian for so many years, are not one now, but still claim to follow the teachings of Jesus.
A few things he purportedly said coincide with my outlook. There are some interesting and persuasive things that Buddhists say too. But I am not a "follower" of Buddha. The extent to which Christian and Muslim ideas about family, community, charity and behaviour resonate with me does not make me a Christian or a Muslim... or a deist for that matter.

F

Moves
16 Sep 18

Not when I hear Christians poring over their ancient Hebrew mythology and breakaway religion, no, I don't.

F

Moves
16 Sep 18

You think I said "It had something to do with the way the brain works"? I think you may be getting me mixed up with someone else.

c

Moves
16 Sep 18

You think I said "It had something to do with the way the brain works"? I think you may be getting me mixed up with someone else.
No, it was you.
Something about the brain and how humans think. There was a name for it, but I can't remember.

F

Moves
16 Sep 18
2 edits

No, it was you.
Something about the brain and how humans think. There was a name for it, but I can't remember.
I think you've got it wrong or misunderstood or it was someone else. I think religious belief is a natural and unsurprising product of the human condition and has been throughout human history. I don't think it's due to different brains or how the brain works differently or anything like that. Religious beliefs are just opinions about the universe and opinions about the people [who hold those beliefs] with regard to themselves e.g. "saved", "reincarnated", "sinful", "immortal", animated by spirits etc.. My brain generates opinions about me and life and my surroundings too. Such opinions are also a natural and unsurprising product of the human condition

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
17 Sep 18

Originally posted by @ghost-of-a-duke
I think if we can have 'Agnostic atheist' we can certainly have 'Christian deist.'

A possible advantage of being a Christian deist would be the freedom to dismiss the creation account of Genesis and embrace scientific explanations.
One need not be deist to have that freedom.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
17 Sep 18

I believe you take on board the 'micro' processes of evolution as they fit in with your religious outlook, while dismissing the 'macro' (and far more significant) processes of evolution because they don't.
Not sure about this. I don't see a problem fitting evolution in its entirety (micro and/or macro) into a God created universe.

w

Moves
17 Sep 18

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
17 Sep 18

Originally posted by @suzianne
Not sure about this. I don't see a problem fitting evolution in its entirety (micro and/or macro) into a God created universe.
I don’t think macroevolution is compatible with the Bible.

I’m sure Heartpence would agree.

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
17 Sep 18

Originally posted by @suzianne
Agreed, if one were to totally abandon any 'literal existence' of Adam and Eve. (Mankind being a long-term plan of creation, not an instantaneous act).

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
17 Sep 18

Agreed, if one were to totally abandon any 'literal existence' of Adam and Eve. (Mankind being a long-term plan of creation, not an instantaneous act).
For a God who could speak into existence things previously not there and maintain it all by the power of His Word, why would He do that?