The top 10 benefits of theism

The top 10 benefits of theism

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
11 Feb 17

Originally posted by Suzianne
I have repeatedly called out Eladar for his poor representation of a Christian life, as it seems based on hate rather than love.
It hasn't escaped my notice, Suzianne, and, for what it's worth, I feel it is to your credit.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Feb 17
2 edits

Originally posted by Great King Rat
I really don't get why you would feel Eladar or you or anyone else somehow represents a Christian life. He is clearly a miserable git and appears to be permanently unhappy, but I've never felt that he in one way or another represents Christianity.

Likewise, there are no representatives of atheism on this board.
Well, this could be the result of simply not believing what people say quite plainly.

Atheism is merely the state of not believing in a God (or gods, if you insist). It is, by nature, open-ended, and so no one person can encapsulate all the tenets of atheism, as there are none.

Christianity is a different critter, though. To be a Christian one must believe that the Son of God, Jesus the Christ, because of His love for us, has made atonement of our sins, and that he abides in us and guides us towards righteousness in His name. Some develop a faith that endures to the end and they are rewarded, not just in some future afterlife, but in the here and now with a 'more abundant life' through following Christ. And some don't.

EDIT: I guess what I mean to say is that it's easier to spot one than the other.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
11 Feb 17

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Yeah. Started out as a parody of Fetchmyjunk but has quickly turned into an episode of Little House on the Prairie.
My only criticism of FMJ is perhaps he's overzealous. It seems to me that he's somehow become the "new" GB, but then again, it's always the ones who insist on doing cannonballs into the pool who are yelled at by the other swimmers.

LOL, "Little House on the Prairie". You were expecting maybe Celebrity Deathmatch?
I'm not singing "Kumbayah", though.

Moves
11 Feb 17
1 edit

My only criticism of FMJ is perhaps he's overzealous. It seems to me that he's somehow become the "new" GB...
Your perception, categorisation and subsequent attitude towards the various members of these boards is clouded by your willingness to overlook the obvious in favour of your partisan catalogue.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
11 Feb 17

Originally posted by divegeester
Your perception, categorisation and subsequent attitude towards the various members of these boards is clouded by your willingness to overlook the obvious in favour of your partisan catalogue.
Have run up quite a debt on my partisan catalogue.

Just can't resist a preferential tank top.

😞

Cape Town

Moves
11 Feb 17

Christianity is a different critter, though. To be a Christian one must believe that the Son of God, Jesus the Christ, because of His love for us, has made atonement of our sins, and that he abides in us and guides us towards righteousness in His name. Some develop a faith that endures to the end and they are rewarded, not just in some future afterlife, but in the here and now with a 'more abundant life' through following Christ. And some don't.
To be fair, you really need to tag a denomination name on to that rather specific definition.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
12 Feb 17

#7 Knowing that God will complete the work He starts in us.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
12 Feb 17

Originally posted by sonhouse
Therefore, to a theist, humans ALWAYS comes in second place. Screw the humans, I love my invisible friend.
We a bit bitter here?
Placing God first sets up the rest of the human race in a much better place. Since God
loves us our actions towards each other should be looked at carefully. We know that
Jesus said, that what we do to the least of His we do to Him. He takes it all very
personally, as He does with how we judge and treat others. With whatever standard we
use to condemn another, it will be used on us.

If this were not true, than we could pick and choose how we treat others with respect to
nothing more than our likes and dislikes, that could change daily.

Moves
12 Feb 17

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
Have run up quite a debt on my partisan catalogue.

Just can't resist a preferential tank top.

😞
Does it have ladies underwear?

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
12 Feb 17

All the best catalogues do.

(So I hear).

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
12 Feb 17

Were you hoping to acquire some for yourself?

Moves
12 Feb 17

Originally posted by Fetchmyjunk
Were you hoping to acquire some for yourself?
amazing zinger

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 Feb 17

Originally posted by twhitehead
To be fair, you really need to tag a denomination name on to that rather specific definition.
Actually, no, I don't.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
12 Feb 17

Originally posted by KellyJay
We a bit bitter here?
Placing God first sets up the rest of the human race in a much better place. Since God
loves us our actions towards each other should be looked at carefully. We know that
Jesus said, that what we do to the least of His we do to Him. He takes it all very
personally, as He does with how we judge and treat others. With whatever standa ...[text shortened]... treat others with respect to
nothing more than our likes and dislikes, that could change daily.
Exactly!

And this is what separates Christianity from his "screw humans" screed.

To call Christianity a "screw humans" concept is ridiculous on the face of it.

We actually ARE "our brothers' keeper".

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
12 Feb 17

Would you classify any Christians who are not Jehovah's Witness as your "brother"?
You tell me?

1 Peter 2:17
17 Honor men of all sorts, have love for the whole association of brothers, be in fear of God, honor the king.

Hebrews 10:24, 25
24 And let us consider one another so as to incite to love and fine works, 25 not forsaking our meeting together, as some have the custom, but encouraging one another, and all the more so as you see the day drawing near.

1 John 13:34,35
I am giving you a new commandment, that you love one another; just as I have loved you, you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are my disciples—if you have love among yourselves.”

2 Corinthians 6:14, 15
14 Do not become unevenly yoked with unbelievers. For what fellowship do righteousness and lawlessness have? Or what sharing does light have with darkness? 15 Further, what harmony is there between Christ and Beʹli·al? Or what does a believer share in common with an unbeliever?

Isaiah 2:2-4
2 In the final part of the days,
The mountain of the house of Jehovah
Will become firmly established above the top of the mountains,
And it will be raised up above the hills,
And to it all the nations will stream.
3 And many peoples will go and say:
“Come, let us go up to the mountain of Jehovah,
To the house of the God of Jacob.
He will instruct us about his ways,
And we will walk in his paths.”
For law will go out of Zion,
And the word of Jehovah out of Jerusalem.
4 He will render judgment among the nations
And set matters straight respecting many peoples.
They will beat their swords into plowshares
And their spears into pruning shears.
Nation will not lift up sword against nation,
Nor will they learn war anymore.