1. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    01 Feb '11 16:52
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    while i am naturally honoured that you esteem me worthy of your consideration, I must point out that I have neither coveted nor desired your attention. Surely there is something better for you to do, like post something with spiritual content! for once! see if you can do it, i challenge you, just once!
    Well here is a spiritual question: Why do christians insist their religion is the only true on when in fact you have no proof your religion comes from anyone other than men and the occasional woman.

Plus the entire christian story is a rehash of a 3000 year old tale of Horus. How can you live with a retread religion like that? It's not even original, but plagiarized.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Feb '11 17:091 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Well here is a spiritual question: Why do christians insist their religion is the only true on when in fact you have no proof your religion comes from anyone other than men and the occasional woman.

Plus the entire christian story is a rehash of a 3000 year old tale of Horus. How can you live with a retread religion like that? It's not even original, but plagiarized.
    Christians insist that theirs is the only true one because of this,

(John 14:6) . . .Jesus said to him: “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. . .

and this,

(Acts 4:12) . . .Furthermore, there is no salvation in anyone else, for there is not another name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must get saved.”

Whether there is proof of inspiration or not, the teaching exists.

A person who applies Christians principles, undergoes an inner transformation, a complete metamorphosis, so that what went before is unrecognisable from that which came after. They give up all manner of vice, of addiction, and try to the best of their ability to clothe themselves with love. Perhaps you can point out in any ancient or modern religion, principles which have enabled the adherent to transform their lives in such a profound manner. Who shall we petition, Horus? Indeed what can a deity with eyes that cannot see, or ears that cannot hear, or a mouth that cannot speak teach us when we ask it? Please explain.
  3. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    01 Feb '11 18:34
    What is trolling? Is it like when you just roll up on a thread and put your 2 cents in? Or is it a bit more malicious? I admit I will read through threads of interest and then comment. If I see certain names like RC LOL or RBhill or whoever I will read them because they will be most of the time of more controversy.

Manny
  4. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    01 Feb '11 18:42
    Originally posted by menace71
    What is trolling? Is it like when you just roll up on a thread and put your 2 cents in? Or is it a bit more malicious? I admit I will read through threads of interest and then comment. If I see certain names like RC LOL or RBhill or whoever I will read them because they will be most of the time of more controversy.

Manny
    In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    01 Feb '11 21:06
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    In Internet slang, a troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room, or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into a desired emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troll_(Internet)
    Yeah but when you get to this Spirituality Forum, ""normal on-topic discussion" is rare and trolling at times seems to be the norm....I dont know man. No one wants to be called a troll but by that definition, it seems a concious act rather than an act of a blundering oath. (?)
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Feb '11 21:312 edits
    Originally posted by menace71

Manny
    Thankyou manny i like to read your posts as well, at least they have some spiritual content. I really should have kept up my insult list, i could have added several pages by now, annoying and cowardly would have fitted in there rather nicely, juxtaposed between lazy bum and false prophet, i may yet resurrect it. I mean what's the alternative, non spirituality and base materialism, or weak and wimpy Christian who have watered down the word of God with their secular liberalism and political correctness, a luke warm drink of water on a hot day!
  7. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 01:54
    Thankyou manny i like to read your posts as well, at least they have some spiritual content. I really should have kept up my insult list, i could have added several pages by now, annoying and cowardly would have fitted in there rather nicely, juxtaposed between lazy bum and false prophet, i may yet resurrect it. I mean what's the alternative, non s ...[text shortened]... th their secular liberalism and political correctness, a luke warm drink of water on a hot day!
    "Spirutal content"? . Who made you pope?
    Seriously man, what is "spiritual content"? Does it need to be a refrence to scripture for it to be spirtual?
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 03:19

it is called faith. christian have the faith that god is real and the jesus, the person that lived in israel 2000 years ago is his son. we have faith that jesus came to give us a new way to live our lives. a better way. on that faith we try and convince other people that our way is a good way to live one's life, kind of like you would want to convince an SUV driver that driving an economic car is better.

this being said, not all christians believe gay people go to hell. not all christians believe in slavery, or that god performed the genocides described in the bible. not all christians look at a million year old fossil and cry "Satan". not all christians believe they are the only one who will go to heaven, that an atheist doctor that saved hundreds of lives will go to hell but a serial criminal that repents in his last year of life will go to heaven.

you putting all christians in the same group would be like me putting mao and stalin and pol pot in the same group with all other atheists. there are good people and there are bad people.
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 03:34

plagiarized? really? did horus teach that all people are equal in the eyes of god? how about love?

actually forget it, don't answer it. let's turn instead to wikipedia, mine and all the lazy people's favorite internet thingy:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horus
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Christ_in_comparative_mythology

Horus was born to the goddess Isis after she retrieved all the dismembered body parts of her murdered husband Osiris, except his penis which was thrown into the Nile and eaten by a catfish,[5][6] and used her magic powers to resurrect Osiris and fashion a gold phallus[7] to conceive her son. In another version of the story, Isis was impregnated by divine fire.[8] Once Isis knew she was pregnant with Horus, she fled to the Nile Delta marshlands to hide from her brother Set who jealously killed Osiris and who she knew would want to kill their son.[8] There Isis bore a divine son, Horus.

wait! i haz more:

By the 19th dynasty, the enmity between Set and Horus, in which Horus had ripped off one of Set's testicles, was represented as a separate tale. According to Papyrus Chester-Beatty I, Set is depicted as trying to prove his dominance by seducing Horus and then having intercourse with him. However, Horus places his hand between his thighs and catches Set's semen, then subsequently throws it in the river, so that he may not be said to have been inseminated by Set. Horus then deliberately spreads his own semen on some lettuce, which was Set's favorite food. After Set had eaten the lettuce, they went to the gods to try to settle the argument over the rule of Egypt. The gods first listened to Set's claim of dominance over Horus, and call his semen forth, but it answered from the river, invalidating his claim. Then, the gods listened to Horus' claim of having dominated Set, and call his semen forth, and it answered from inside Set.[21][22]

But still Set refused to relent, and the other gods were getting tired from over eighty years of fighting and challenges. Horus and Set challenged each other to a boat race, where they each raced in a boat made of stone. Horus and Set agreed, and the race started. But Horus had an edge: his boat was made of wood painted to resemble stone, rather than true stone. Set's boat, being made of heavy stone, sank, but Horus's did not. Horus then won the race, and Set stepped down and officially gave Horus the throne of Egypt.[20] But after the New Kingdom, Set still was considered Lord of the desert and its oases.

Self-taught amateur Egyptologist Gerald Massey argued that the deity of Horus and Jesus shared identical mythological origins in his 1907 book Ancient Egypt, the light of the world.[12] His views have been repeated by theologian and Toronto Star columnist Tom Harpur, author Acharya S, and political comedian Bill Maher.[13][14][15] Theologian W. Ward Gasque composed an e-mail to twenty leading Egyptologists, including Professor Emeritus of Egyptology at the University of Liverpool Kenneth Kitchen, and Professor of Egyptology at the University of Toronto Ron Leprohan. The e-mail detailed the comparisons alleged by Massey which had been repeated by Harpur. The scholars were unanimous in dismissing any similarities suggested by Massey, and one Egyptologist criticized the comparison as "fringe nonsense."[16]

"Perhaps the only pagan god for whom there is a resurrection is the Egyptian Osiris. Close examination of this story shows that it is very different from Christ's resurrection. Osiris did not rise; he ruled in the abode of the dead. As biblical scholar, Roland de Vaux, wrote, 'What is meant of Osiris being "raised to life?" Simply that, thanks to the ministrations of Isis, he is able to lead a life beyond the tomb which is an almost perfect replica of earthly existence. But he will never again come among the living and will reign only over the dead. This revived god is in reality a "mummy" god.'... No, the mummified Osiris was hardly an inspiration for the resurrected Christ... As Yamauchi observes, 'Ordinary men aspired to identification with Osiris as one who had triumphed over death. But it is a mistake to equate the Egyptian view of the afterlife with the biblical doctrine of resurrection. To achieve immortality the Egyptian had to meet three conditions: First, his body had to be preserved by mummification. Second, nourishment was provided by the actual offering of daily bread and beer. Third, magical spells were interred with him. His body did not rise from the dead; rather elements of his personality - his Ba and Ka - continued to hover over his body.'
  10. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 03:37

also you seem to either confuse egyptian mythology or forget details. horus's birth might be considered as virgin birth (in that there was no father, but isis had been around) but it is osiris that is considered to have "risen from the dead". however, when taking a look at the story of osiris rebirth, one can see quite a few differences (i am being sarcastic there are a lot of differences)
  11. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 03:39
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Yeah but when you get to this Spirituality Forum, ""normal on-topic discussion" is rare and trolling at times seems to be the norm....I dont know man. No one wants to be called a troll but by that definition, it seems a concious act rather than an act of a blundering oath. (?)
    yes, trolling is a conscious act. we call the robbie a troll because optimism doesn't allow us to picture a person so ... like robbie to be real. so either he is sincere and therefore so dense he should have planets orbiting him or he is not and he is a troll.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 07:534 edits
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    yes, trolling is a conscious act. we call the robbie a troll because optimism doesn't allow us to picture a person so ... like robbie to be real. so either he is sincere and therefore so dense he should have planets orbiting him or he is not and he is a troll.
    thankyou zapansy, i am not sure if we have gravitational force as an insult on my list, ill be sure to put it in there though!
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 08:181 edit
    "Spirutal content"? . Who made you pope?
    Seriously man, what is "spiritual content"? Does it need to be a refrence to scripture for it to be spirtual?
    Who made you pope? mmm, i am not sure if that is an insult or a compliment, it sounds derogatory, can i add self made pope to my list of insults, yes, i think i can, thanks for that, new and unabridged version of insults will appear shortly!
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 12:021 edit
    Who made you pope? mmm, i am not sure if that is an insult or a compliment, it sounds derogatory, can i add self made pope to my list of insults, yes, i think i can, thanks for that, new and unabridged version of insults will appear shortly!
    Not an insult. Just a reminder that all opinions on here are equally valid, unless...

Nah, lets just keep it at all opinions are equally valid, ok?

Edit: and feel free to ignore the actual questions in my post. I'll forget...eventually.
  15. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    02 Feb '11 12:04
    Not an insult. Just a reminder that all opinions on here are equally valid, unless...

Nah, lets just keep it at all opinions are equally valid, ok?
    If all opinions are equally valid according to you - then why do you support your mate Vishy while he insults all those who post threads contrary to his version of reality?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree