The Universe

The Universe

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
03 Nov 14
1 edit

Originally posted by sonship
Robert Jastrow - founder of [b]NASA's Goddard Institute of Space Studies interviewed about comments on Big Bang Cosmology and speaks of the irony of its theological implications.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npyP7XC-Bjw[/b]
Goddard Space Flight Center was a great place to work. I was there just after the first moon landing, working on Apollo tracking and timing, I can explain further if you want.

The thing is, Jastrow said those words a long time ago and a lot has been learned in the meantime. For instance, the WPAP data showing the tiny temperature variations and newer probes showing even tinier variations, on the order of one part in 100,000. That shows the universe as is was a baby, about 400,000 years old.

And that agrees with the BB theory. But newer work is trying to capture the gravitational waves that Einstein predicted is wiggling the whole universe by incredibly tiny amounts.

When they are able to detect gravity waves they will get even closer to the beginning of the BB, like maybe within one trillionth of a second after the BB.

Of course that has not been done as we speak but they are slowly perfecting the instruments like LIGO and I think in a few years they will have an instrument sensitive enough to read gravity waves directly. That will open up an entirely new level of astronomy, detecting the fundamental heartbeat of the universe.

Jastrow clearly is a creationist, probably not a YEC'er but believes a deitiy 'lit the fuse' as the announcer says.

As far as that goes, so far, he and others are free to believe that since science has no clear answer as of yet but science is very young, only a few hundred years old max, the modern version of science.

I think in a few more decades, maybe next century, creationists are not going to be so convinced a god did it.

Of course at this point in time you can beg to differ.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
03 Nov 14

Originally posted by RJHinds
Blasphemy.
Stone him!

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Nov 14

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Stone him!
It is written: He that is without sin among you, let him cast the first stone. 😏

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
04 Nov 14

Blasphemy.
Oh, good, I am honored.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
04 Nov 14
1 edit

Originally posted by sonhouse
Oh, good, I am honored.
You may also be honored with the Lake of Fire and Brimstone.

itiswhatitis

oLd ScHoOl

Moves
05 Nov 14

Originally posted by black beetle
But where is time itself?
Time itself is not observable (and thanks to the Wheeler-DeWitt equation we are OK by means of just describing the related to the one another varieties). In fact we don’t see time, all we see is the clock. When we say “This car moves”, we merely say “This car is here when the hands of your clock are here”. Instead of measuring ...[text shortened]... t them As If everything is evolving in time;

By the way, what goes on beyond Planck time?
😵
By the way, what goes on beyond Planck time?

Planck happy hour... ?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
07 Nov 14

Originally posted by josephw
I spent a little time trying to learn about the shape and size of the universe. It's rather complicated. I suppose I could take a month to study it further and try to grasp the astronomical language, but I would prefer to keep it simple.

It looks to me that the universe is about 15 billion light years thick and about 200 billion light years across. Like a ...[text shortened]... ake.

Can anyone give a simple explanation as to the consensus amongst astronomers about this?
Where is the punchline Joe?

Why did you start this one?

Didn't go the way you planned?

Cape Town

Moves
07 Nov 14

I suspect he cannot reveal the punchline as it probably involved some Biblical verse implying the Universe is flat.

This is the problem with 'prophesy' that is based on knowing the answer before making the interpretation.

r
Suzzie says Badger

is Racist Bastard

Moves
07 Nov 14

Originally posted by twhitehead
I suspect he cannot reveal the punchline as it probably involved some Biblical verse implying the Universe is flat.

This is the problem with 'prophesy' that is based on knowing the answer before making the interpretation.
the lunatics are running the asylum

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
07 Nov 14

Originally posted by redbadger
the lunatics are running the asylum
So what else is new?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 Nov 14

Originally posted by sonhouse
Goddard Space Flight Center was a great place to work. I was there just after the first moon landing, working on Apollo tracking and timing, I can explain further if you want.

The thing is, Jastrow said those words a long time ago and a lot has been learned in the meantime. For instance, the WPAP data showing the tiny temperature variations and newer pro ...[text shortened]... oing to be so convinced a god did it.

Of course at this point in time you can beg to differ.
The evolution theory is too young to believe over the Holy Bible.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
08 Nov 14

The evolution theory is too young to believe over the Holy Bible.
How long do facts have to be around before they become true?

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
08 Nov 14

How long do facts have to be around before they become true?
Long enough. 😏

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
09 Nov 14

Nothing ever goes the way I plan. 😉

I started this thread on a whim, out of curiosity. What? Do you think I think science isn't good for anything?

Punchline? Maybe! Probably not. What I read about the near infrared imaging gave me the impression that the entire universe was essentially flat, 15 billion light years thick and 200 across.

But I'm getting conflicting information it seems, and no concrete evidence as to the actual shape. At best I'm hearing the assumed shape is spherical.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
09 Nov 14

Originally posted by josephw
Nothing ever goes the way I plan. 😉

I started this thread on a whim, out of curiosity. What? Do you think I think science isn't good for anything?

Punchline? Maybe! Probably not. What I read about the near infrared imaging gave me the impression that the entire universe was essentially flat, 15 billion light years thick and 200 across.

But I'm ge ...[text shortened]... no concrete evidence as to the actual shape. At best I'm hearing the assumed shape is spherical.
People ASSUME a lot of stuff. To ASSUME does not make it true, it usually just makes an ASS out of U and ME.