1. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 Apr '12 22:29
    I think its common knowledge that Hindus worship the cow [yes the animal that most people kill and eat]. I found out from reading around on the net, that the following is also practiced by some Hindus

- drinking cow urine
    - eating cow dung
    - performing cow prayers, also called cow pooja.

Is all of this sanctioned by the Vedas [that wonderful truthful book]?
    Maybe some Hindus on this site can comment.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Apr '12 22:351 edit
    My only experience with cows and hindus was at a krsna temple that I used to visit.

The milk I drank there was tastier than any other milk I had drank in my whole life and the cows looked happy, their eyes had a positive glow to them.

Mind you, I myself do not know or really care why some hindus elevate cows above other animals.
    Also it was not a subject that ever came up between me and the hares, and there was quite a few that did.

edit: please note that "vedas" is plural. "veda" is one book , vedas is many.
  3. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Apr '12 22:43
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    I think its common knowledge that Hindus worship the cow [yes the animal that most people kill and eat]. I found out from reading around on the net, that the following is also practiced by some Hindus

- drinking cow urine
    - eating cow dung
    - performing cow prayers, also called cow pooja.

Is all of this sanctioned by the Vedas [that wonderful truthful book]?
    Maybe some Hindus on this site can comment.
    From what I understand, it's really a common misconception rather than "common knowledge".

Q: Do Hindus worship cows?
    A: Cows have been revered in India for thousands of years because of their gentle nature and their life-sustaining abilities. They are allowed to roam free and it is considered a heinous act to kill a cow. As such, Hindus do not eat beef.

It is not correct to say Hindus worship cows or consider them holy. Generally, Hindus do not eat beef because In times when food is scarce it would be shortsighted to kill a cow for food in the short run when it can provide milk for many years. Cows are thought of much like family pets in this country, or a horse to a horse lover. We don't eat dogs and horses in this country. Hindus don't eat beef.

http://www.vedanta.org/wiv/faq/faq2.html
  4. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 Apr '12 22:52
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    From what I understand, it's really a common misconception rather than "common knowledge".

A: Cows have been revered in India for thousands of years because of their gentle nature and their life-sustaining abilities. They are allowed to roam free and it is considered a heinous act to kill a cow. As such, Hindus do n ...[text shortened]... this country. Hindus don't eat beef.

There is something called cow prayers. Maybe you should google it.
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Apr '12 23:061 edit
    There is something called cow prayers. Maybe you should google it.
    Didn't find anything from an even half-way reputable site.

All religions have their nutters. Try this one:

The weekly dog service at Covenant Presbyterian is part of a growing trend among churches nationwide to address the spirituality of pets and the deeply felt bonds that owners form with their animals.

Traditionally, conventional Christians believe that only humans have redeemable souls, said Laura Hobgood-Oster, a religion professor at Southwestern University in Georgetown, Texas.

But a growing number of congregations from Massachusetts to Texas to California are challenging that assertion with regular pet blessings and, increasingly, pet-centric services, said Hobgood-Oster, who studies the role of animals in Christian tradition.

She recently did a survey that found more than 500 blessings for animals at churches nationwide and has heard of a half-dozen congregations holding worship services like Eggebeen's, including one in a Boston suburb called Woof 'n Worship.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-501370_162-5522164.html
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Apr '12 23:09
    And I've seen people praying to ants . So what?
  7. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 Apr '12 23:16
    Probably my question [hopefully to Hindus] was hidden so I will repeat it ..

Is all of that sanctioned by the Vedas?
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    14 Apr '12 23:181 edit

I dont take authority from a book, so I wouldn't know
  9. PenTesting
    Moves
    14 Apr '12 23:391 edit
    Didn't find anything from an even half-way reputable site.

All religions have their nutters. Try this one:

The weekly dog service at Covenant Presbyterian is part of a growing trend among churches nationwide to address the spirituality of pets and the deeply felt bonds that owners form with their animals.

[b]Traditionally, conventional Chr ...[text shortened]... called Woof 'n Worship.

http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-501370_162-5522164.html
    [/b]
    The nutters are the urine drinkers and the dung eaters.
    Im pretty sure that the cow prayers [not praying for the cow, but TO THE COW] is worshipping the cow, and its probably is sanctioned by the Vedas.
    Hence the question.
  10. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Apr '12 23:48
    The nutters are the urine drinkers and the dung eaters.
    Im pretty sure that the cow prayers [not praying for the cow, but TO THE COW] is worshipping the cow, and its probably is sanctioned by the Vedas.
    Hence the question.
    But those who give/attend Christian dog services aren't? How about dog baptisms?

I already posted info from a reputable site that says cows aren't worshipped. It's easy to find quite a few more that say the same thing.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    14 Apr '12 23:49

A: Cows have been revered in India for thousands of years because of their gentle nature and their life-sustaining abilities. They are allowed to roam free and it is considered a heinous act to kill a cow. As such, Hindus do n ...[text shortened]... this country. Hindus don't eat beef.

I had a pet calf when I was a teenager. I would rate the cow high on a list of
    animals necessary for man's survival.
  12. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    15 Apr '12 07:24

There is no mention, to my knowledge, of drinking cow urine or eating cow dung in the Vedas.
    There used to be a ritual called " Shravani " in the month of Shravan ( about August/ September ) when a few drops of cow urine and a drop of cow dung, mixed with other things like Honey, Curds, Clarified Butter etc was consumed as a part of the ritual. This ritual was practiced by a few in the time of my grandfather which will be about 75 to 80 years ago. I assure you, I have not seen or heard of this ritual taking place anywhere for the last 50 years, if not more.
    I must make it clear here that Hindus love cows and do not eat beef. Exceptional cases of a few westernised Hindus eating beef cannot be ruled out.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Apr '12 07:29
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    There is no mention, to my knowledge, of drinking cow urine or eating cow dung in the Vedas.
    So it's forbidden by the Vedas then?
  14. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    15 Apr '12 07:31
    Originally posted by FMF
    So it's forbidden by the Vedas then?
    Vedas do not prescribe or proscribe the said practice of drinking cow urine / eating cow dung.
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Apr '12 07:34
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    Vedas do not prescribe or proscribe the said practice of drinking cow urine / eating cow dung.
    What do they say about cows? What is prescribed or proscribed?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree