1. PenTesting
    Moves
    15 Apr '12 18:00
    Originally posted by Dasa
    Not true - and I will amaze everyone when I get to Sydney with the wonderful answer to this baiting question question.
    Chances are that you might be just like everyone else [except rvsakhadeo] and misunderstand the question.

Of course you are free to rant and rave and beat around the bush and think you need to justify your beliefs to anyone, but the simple question is whether or not these practices are sanctioned in the Vedas or any Holy book or any authoritative and respected religious source.

So far it seems that some authoritative sources are in fact suggesting spiritual benefits from eating dung and drinking urine.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    15 Apr '12 21:231 edit
    Originally posted by Rajk999
    Ok .. thanks. So there is in fact 'cow worship' as part of the Hindu religion not just 'cow reverence'.

I found this ..

[i]A human's bodily waste can only cause harm, whereas a cow's bodily waste can heal! A cow's bodily waste in the form of urine and dung are used in Siddha and Ayurveda medicinal systems to create drugs. Cow dung is used in havan and ample of firm established religious beliefs and not just malpractice or superstition?
    I have come across articles where humans have claimed to have treated themselves by drinking their own urine

(ooh look- Italic)
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    15 Apr '12 21:24
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    "...and the cows looked happy, their eyes had a positive glow to them."

Happy cows are in California. 🙂
    Kelly
    Are they bred for slaughter?
  4. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    15 Apr '12 21:27
    Chances are that you might be just like everyone else [except rvsakhadeo] and misunderstand the question.

Of course you are free to rant and rave and beat around the bush and think you need to justify your beliefs to anyone, but the simple question is whether or not these practices are sanctioned in the Vedas or any Holy book or any authoritative and resp ...[text shortened]... oritative sources are in fact suggesting spiritual benefits from eating dung and drinking urine.
    Shh-leave him be. He's going to amaze us.
  5. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    15 Apr '12 21:55
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Are they bred for slaughter?
    They are for milking.
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    15 Apr '12 22:47
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    They are for milking.
    Maybe thats why they are happy
  7. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 03:41
    Ok it goes on to say that only the pure human souls could be born as a cow ..

The Siddhas instruct us that Go Puja is an important daily worship procedure. They point out that a cow is so spiritually pure that millions and millions of deities take residence in and around a cow. Thus the very space occupied by a cow is holy ground. Only very pure souls ...[text shortened]... learn how these docile animals can contribute to our spiritual upliftment.

Do you agree?
    While I disagree with the quote, it may be noted that it does not say that pure" human" souls are reborn as cows.
    As per Hinduism principles, every living being has a Soul, not necessarily only humans,so may be that person is suggesting other animals etc. get to be reborn as cows.
    Of course, the entire position is absurd.
  8. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 11:271 edit
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    While I disagree with the quote, it may be noted that it does not say that pure" human" souls are reborn as cows.
    As per Hinduism principles, every living being has a Soul, not necessarily only humans,so may be that person is suggesting other animals etc. get to be reborn as cows.
    Of course, the entire position is absurd.
    I can understand why the position is absurd from a westerners point of view and you may have some western influence yourself. People all over the world eat beef and the dont suffer innumerable lives of sorrow.

My question is what does the Vedas and other holy scriptures say. Also what would the rank and file Hindu believe. Im focusing on the holy books because I come from a country with lots of Hindu religious traditions and customs and superstition [which you already said] and I know that most of what they believe and do is just not in the scriptures. Now that happens in all cultures and religions, and its is understandable.

However if something is sanctioned by the actual religious texts then it is harder to eliminate from the practices of the believers, as it is cast in stone so to speak. Cow worship and its associated practices apparently seem to be sanctioned in the scriptures. Check these statements [http://www.worldteachertrust.org/bk/cow/]

The Vedas extol Cow as the most sacred being.

The Veda prescribes a preparation with five Cow products whose consumption in the size of a gooseberry is most beneficial to man in harmonising his energies. The five products are Cow milk, Cow yogurt, Cow ghee, Cow dung and Cow urine.

Killing a Cow denies one the path to the Divine.

Persons who kill Cows, eat Cow meat and those who support these two acts would suffer innumerable lives of sorrow.

Inhalation of the smell of Cow dung would neutralise the poison caused by scorpion bite and snake bite.

Cow dung smoke is healthier than smoke coming from coal and gases.

Worship of Cow is equivalent to annual pilgrimage.

Worship of Cow is equivalent to worship of Vishnu.

Worship of Cow is equivalent to moving around the Earth.

Worship of Cow is equivalent to recitation of the Vedas.

In Cow dung there is the energy of good luck coming from Goddess Lakshmi.

In the Cow urine there are the vibrations of the sacred rivers.
  9. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 15:10
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Maybe thats why they are happy
    Happy cows milk commercial.

YouTube&feature=relmfu
  10. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 15:13
    I can understand why the position is absurd from a westerners point of view and you may have some western influence yourself. People all over the world eat beef and the dont suffer innumerable lives of sorrow.

My question is what does the Vedas and other holy scriptures say. Also what would the rank and file Hindu believe. Im focusing on the holy books be ...[text shortened]... ng from Goddess Lakshmi.

In the Cow urine there are the vibrations of the sacred rivers.[/i]
    "I can understand why the position is absurd from a westerners point of view and you may have some western influence yourself. People all over the world eat beef and the dont suffer innumerable lives of sorrow. "

How do we beef eaters know we don't come back to a sad reincarnation? It must be faith.
  11. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 15:16
    Originally posted by JS357
    Happy cows milk commercial.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lNrsIvLVVY&feature=relmfu
    If I were a cow and I know you are [stupidly] eating my dung and drinking my urine, I would be happy and smiling to myself all the time 😀
  12. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 15:211 edit
    "I can understand why the position is absurd from a westerners point of view and you may have some western influence yourself. People all over the world eat beef and the dont suffer innumerable lives of sorrow. "

How do we beef eaters know we don't come back to a sad reincarnation? It must be faith.
    The entire world [except Hindus] are beef eaters. Thats over 6,000,000,000 people. How many over the thousands of years gone by .. who knows .. trillions ? These trillions of souls reincarnating over and over into lives of sorrow? Is there so much sorrow in the world? I dont think so.
  13. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 17:16
    The entire world [except Hindus] are beef eaters. Thats over 6,000,000,000 people. How many over the thousands of years gone by .. who knows .. trillions ? These trillions of souls reincarnating over and over into lives of sorrow? Is there so much sorrow in the world? I dont think so.
    About 100 billion humans have lived on earth according to:

http://www.prb.org/Articles/2002/HowManyPeopleHaveEverLivedonEarth.aspx

Use your imagination. Maybe the 90+% that have departed, host another soul. There is no reason that one can't time-travel between incarnations, to an earlier or later era, and be born into another newborn, and that newborn body hosts soul after soul, life after life, each soul on a journey.

Some traditions allow for reincarnation as non-human animals, even plants, or in any of many worlds and many forms.

The same imagination that can entertain the Western logistics of soul management, should certainly be up to entertaining the Eastern ones.
  14. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 17:23
    If I were a cow and I know you are [stupidly] eating my dung and drinking my urine, I would be happy and smiling to myself all the time 😀
    That's cold comfort. Isn't there a farm by that name? Don't drink the milk!
  15. PenTesting
    Moves
    16 Apr '12 19:10
    About 100 billion humans have lived on earth according to:

http://www.prb.org/Articles/2002/HowManyPeopleHaveEverLivedonEarth.aspx

Use your imagination. Maybe the 90+% that have departed, host another soul. There is no reason that one can't time-travel between incarnations, to an earlier or later era, and be born into another newborn, and that newborn bo ...[text shortened]... Western logistics of soul management, should certainly be up to entertaining the Eastern ones.
    It still makes no sense. If the eating of beef causes lives of sorrow and both population and consumption of beef has been increasing rapidly in the last few decades, then those sorrowful lives [in whatever form] should be apparent.

Hindus should be living happy lives as there is almost no beef eating in India. But the opposite appears to be the case again as India is one of the countries which has experienced the most abject poverty and suffering in the last few decades.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree