1. London
    Moves
    05 May '05 16:061 edit
    Originally posted by Starrman
    No, but id a policeman said "If you drive in this [drunken] condition, I will send you to jail" then yes it would be. Yours has passive inference: What you do will cause something to happen which you have brought upon yourself. The seco ...[text shortened]... ll put you in hell. The decision to send you there lies with him.
    1. From what you've just said, it follows that when an evangelist says, "Repent or burn in hell for eternity", that does not consitute a threat because the evangelist himself/herself does not actually perform the act of Judgment.

2. In the example of the policeman, given that his statement is a threat, is it a lawful threat? How does such a threat differ from a statement like "If you don't sleep with me I will send you to jail?"
  2. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    05 May '05 17:212 edits
    The threat of eternal damnation in hell is force.

So if someone offers you a good apple and a rotten apple, and you choose the rotten apple, you regard that as force?
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    05 May '05 17:24
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    [b]The threat of eternal damnation in hell is force.

So if someone offers you a good apple and a rotten apple, and you choose the rotten apple, you regard that as force?[/b]
    What if you don't feel like an apple? You are pushing fear, no 2 ways about it.

ES
  4. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    05 May '05 17:36
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    What if you don't feel like an apple? You are pushing fear, no 2 ways about it.

ES
    Well, that is like saying, what if I don't feel like living? That fact is you are alive. You are given a choice of heaven or hell. Nobody in his right mind would chose hell.
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    05 May '05 17:49
    Well, that is like saying, what if I don't feel like living? That fact is you are alive. You are given a choice of heaven or hell. Nobody in his right mind would chose hell.
    Life was given to me by my mother and father.

Jesus is the apple. I say 'No Thanks.'

'but wait, you'll burn forever if you don't follow Jesus!'

I say, 'Please stuff that apple up your....'

ES
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    05 May '05 17:55
    Life was given to me by my mother and father.

Jesus is the apple. I say 'No Thanks.'

'but wait, you'll [b]burn forever
    if you don't follow Jesus!'

I say, 'Please stuff that apple up your....'

ES[/b]
    What if God gave you life? What if you can choose to go to Heaven instead of going to Hell? Would you still choose to go to Hell?
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    05 May '05 18:00
    What if God gave you life? What if you can choose to go to Heaven instead of going to Hell? Would you still choose to go to Hell?
    If almost everyone else in the world is, yes. A God of love shouldn't need to banish everyone just because they don't believe. Just doesn't make sense to me.

ES
  8. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    05 May '05 18:08

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    05 May '05 18:23
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    Becker, what do you think? Which group(s) posed the greatest threat to the United States - Nazi Germany, the Civil War, a few bearded guys who flew planes into buildings, or tyrannial American judges?
    What exactly do you mean with threat? Is it perhaps disrupting the security of America? Or rather some indication of impending danger or harm? I'm not American but I might be able to give an opinion if I have a clear understanding of what you mean.
  10. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    06 May '05 04:28
    Truth is that all those that reject the Salvation of JESUS CHRIST, willingly chose to go to hell.
  11. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    06 May '05 04:30
    If almost everyone else in the world is, yes. A God of love shouldn't need to banish everyone just because they don't believe. Just doesn't make sense to me.

ES
    Then what should GOD, then do with unbelievers?
  12. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    06 May '05 09:24
    Originally posted by lucifershammer
    1. From what you've just said, it follows that when an evangelist says, "Repent or burn in hell for eternity", that does not consitute a threat because the evangelist himself/herself does not actually perform the act of Judgment.

2. In the example of the policeman, given that his statement is a threat, is it a lawful threat? How does such a threat differ from a statement like "If you don't sleep with me I will send you to jail?"
    1)The evangelist does however claim to be speaking on behalf of god, the threat is still god's, made through someone else, a member of his church.

2)Both statements would be threats, in my mind the legality of the threat does not detract from its power.
  13. Joined
    19 Nov '03
    Moves
    06 May '05 09:24
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    Then what should GOD, then do with unbelievers?
    Perhaps explain, nurture, guide and love, or is that too radical?
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    06 May '05 10:06
    Perhaps explain, nurture, guide and love, or is that too radical?
    Too radical? That is exactly what he does if you would only let Him! The fact is He cannot do it if you don't believe. That is why you first need to believe. Come on, it can't be that difficult just to believe.
  15. Joined
    25 Apr '05
    Moves
    06 May '05 10:14
    On the question of raising people from the dead, being sin or not, I believe we raise people from the dead all time with modern medical science, things like defibulators and stuff like that. So no I do not believe it is a sin to raise someone from the dead.

Secondly I believe that the definition of Sin from Gods point of view would be to go against the will of God.

Thirdly I do not believe that people will burn in Hell for eternity, I believe that in the end all people will return to God and that there is a way for you to get it right on earth without going through all that suffering in the afterlife. But I also believe that it's not just about accepting Christ into your life, it's a lot more than that, it's a path that not many people are walking at the moment, and I think a lot of Christians are in for the shock of there life when they die, at the moment including myself in that statement.

Cheers,
    MK83

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree