1. The sky
    Moves
    06 Jun '05 01:29
    I am not sure where, how or if this fits in (it might fit in better in a different thread, but I feel many of them are closely related anyway), but I have been wondering about the use of the word "choice" in this and other threads. According to some people here, god gives us a choice - we can choose to follow him or reject him. But if we decide to reject him, he will send us to hell and eternal torture. What kind of a choice is that? It sounds more like blackmail to me. Of course, if you don't believe in god, salvation and hell in the first place, it's not blackmail either - I cannot be blackmailed if I don't believe the punishment is real. Nevertheless, if it should turn out that the Christian fundamentalists are right, I will go to hell because of my "choice". So there's clearly a right and a wrong choice. As I understand "giving a choice", it would mean that both choices are valid, and one is not better than the other one, they are just different.

Another problem with that "choice" is that you need to know that you have a choice in the first place, and you need to know exactly what that choice means. According to Coletti, people who have never heard about Jesus will go to hell (with the possible exception of babies and mentally disabled people), even though they couldn't possibly choose because they didn't know there was a choice. I have heard about Jesus (I have even been a believer at some point in my life), but I have also heard about many other religions and world views which contradict the Christian view, and even among Christians there are many different opinions as to how the bible should be interpreted. Such as my mind works, I have no way to find out who is right, or what choice I have or don't have. So I don't really have a choice either. If that god exists and really wants me to make a choice, he should have given me a different mind or he should have communicated more clearly.
  2. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    08 Jun '05 06:00
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    I am not sure where, how or if this fits in (it might fit in better in a different thread, but I feel many of them are closely related anyway), but I have been wondering about the use of the word "choice" in this and other threads. According to some people here, god gives us a choice - we can choose to follow him or reject him. But if we decide to reject h ...[text shortened]... a choice, he should have given me a different mind or he should have communicated more clearly.
    By what you say, GOD is not allowed to be GOD. That is problely because you donot know GOD. Nor do you know what HE is all about. Yes, we do have a choice to obey GOD or not. If we choose not to obey HIM, that is by choice. Unbelievers only see and hear what they want about GOD. You question all HE does. HE criticize HIM for what HE says are right or wrong. You donot like what HE says is just and unjust. You talk about HIM as if HE was that next door neighbor you donot like. Yet, you drink HIS water, that HE created. You breathe HIS air that HE created for our use. Every bit of food that you eat, comes from HIS Hand. Yet HE affords you the Right to believe in HIM or not. Blackmail is a word that rears its ugly evil head. Which you unbelievers feeble attempt to do the devil's bidding.
    Man has known GOD since his creation. Man has talked and walked with GOD since the Garden of Eden. Adam chose to disobey GOD by choice. Lucifer chose to rebelle against GOD, by choice. GOD has never been a tyrantt. And never will be. GOD has never forced HIS will on mankind and HE never will.
  3. The sky
    Moves
    08 Jun '05 22:42
    Originally posted by blindfaith101
    GOD has never forced HIS will on mankind and HE never will.
    If promising eternal torture in case you don't follow his will doesn't qualify as "forcing his will on mankind", what would?
  4. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    09 Jun '05 01:42
    Originally posted by Nordlys
    If promising eternal torture in case you don't follow his will doesn't qualify as "forcing his will on mankind", what would?
    Every man has the opportunity to do the right thing. Still unbelievers want GOD to live by their misguided justice. You know so little about HIM, but want HIM to live by their standards and understandings. Yet HE has shown and displayed HIS love for all mankind. HE provides for all our needs. Time after time HE pleads with mankind to accept HIS love. When mankind chooses to ignore HIM, HE accepts that as well. It is all part of your choice.
  5. Standard memberMoldy Crow
    Your Eminence
    Scunthorpe
    Moves
    21 Jun '05 04:38
    See , here's one from page two . Why did another have to be started so soon ? What was wrong with this one ?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree