1. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '14 10:23
    Originally posted by Grampy Bobby
    Salvation is executed by God the Holy Spirit at the moment of faith in Christ. Some believers grow in grace out of infancy to maturity; others lose their way with confused daily priorities. None lose their salvation. Why? Because it didn't depend on them in the first place. They accepted a gift. Christ's work of propitiation on the cross and spiritual birth are permanent.
    Well I am not a Christian. And I don't believe in "salvation" and I don't believe in "damnation". There is virtually nothing that you believe about Jesus that I can say I believe. If you lost your faith would you continue to say you were a Christian due your 'I'd rather die than renounce my faith' thing?
  2. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    15 Oct '14 17:35
    5. Take another human life.
  3. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Oct '14 18:55
    1. Listen to an entire Justin Timberlake album.
    2. Watch FOX news all day.
    3. Sit through a movie narrated by Ben Stein.
    4. Debate RJHinds.
    5. Take RBHILL seriously.
    6. Steal Suzi's tin-foil hat.
    7. Outlast FMF in a debate [although...are those really two options? Or just different descriptions of the same result?]
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Oct '14 21:30
    Originally posted by FMF
    "Renouncing" your faith in the face of violent coercion and mortal danger at the hands of would-be murderers or terrorists wouldn't actually mean you were "renouncing" your faith. Lying to a murder to protect your family or yourself: the "lie" is surely of no consequence. An untrue statement made under that kind of coercion is not somehow transformed into a 'true statement' and therefore it is not a lie, surely, in any serious moral paradigm.
    It is in Christianity, as you well know. In fact, it is you lying to people right now saying that renouncing Christ with one's mouth has no effect. Remember Jesus telling Peter he would deny Him three times before the cock crowed. What a man says is his bond. It has consequences.

This "lying to save one's life" business is unadulterated BS. If you deny Christ with your mouth, you are renouncing Jesus. Period.

This is dangerous thinking. It may lead to people taking the Mark of the Beast, thinking it is not real if they are "lying". This is untrue. Your words and your actions have meaning, whether or not you want to use this thinking to "absolve" yourself of responsibility.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '14 21:39
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    In fact, it is you lying to people right now saying that renouncing Christ with one's mouth has no effect.
    But I don't think it does so how can I be "lying"? An "untrue statement" extracted under mortal threat does not somehow become a "true statement". If someone "believes in Christ", telling a gunman threatening to kill his or her family that they don't, does not somehow mean you do not "believe in Christ". Religious faith surely is not something so shallow and so fragile and so ephemeral that it can can come and go with a mere few words.
  6. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    15 Oct '14 21:401 edit
    It is in Christianity, as you well know. In fact, it is you lying to people right now saying that renouncing Christ with one's mouth has no effect. Remember Jesus telling Peter he would deny Him three times before the cock crowed. What a man says is his bond. It has consequences.

This "lying to save one's life" business is unadulterated BS. If you d ...[text shortened]... e meaning, whether or not you want to use this thinking to "absolve" yourself of responsibility.
    I'm sorry, but what you are saying is self opinionated BS.

Edit: seriously, what is it with you Americans. Why does everything have to be so black and white, life or death, in or out absolute?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '14 21:41
    Your words and your actions have meaning, whether or not you want to use this thinking to "absolve" yourself of responsibility.
    Responsibility for what?
  8. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 Oct '14 21:42
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    3. Sit through a movie narrated by Ben Stein.
    4. Debate RJHinds.
    5. Take RBHILL seriously.
    6. Steal Suzi's tin-foil hat.
    7. Outlast FMF in a debate [although...are those really two options? Or just different descriptions of the same result?]

entire???

all day???
  9. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 Oct '14 21:46

This "lying to save one's life" business is unadulterated BS. If you d ...[text shortened]... e meaning, whether or not you want to use this thinking to "absolve" yourself of responsibility.
    What a man says is his bond. It has consequences.

id rather judge people by what they do rather than what they say.

a person may say anything to save the life of their child, but what they say does not change what they really feel or think. it would be ridiculous and petty of a god to hold a person to what they say under duress.
  10. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Oct '14 21:54
    Originally posted by divegeester

Edit: seriously, what is it with you Americans. Why does everything have to be so black and white, life or death, in or out absolute?
    "Why does everything have to be so black and white, life or death, in or out absolute?"

If you're a believer in Christ, why the hell not? God Himself thinks in absolute terms: yes or no; family or separated forever.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '14 21:55
    If you're a believer in Christ, why the hell not? God Himself thinks in absolute terms: yes or no; family or separated forever.
    So you would not save your children's lives by telling a murderer what they wanted to hear?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    15 Oct '14 22:021 edit
    [I'd rather die than] Renounce my faith in Jesus Christ, even if death would be brutal and administered at the hands of a radicalized terrorist.
    You believe you have an obligation to tell the truth to a "radicalized terrorist" threatening you with "brutal death" that supersedes your obligation to protect the lives of your own children and keep them safe from harm?

Is there any price you would not pay ~ with the lives and welfare of those around you ~ for your own personal "salvation"?
  13. Standard memberGrampy Bobby
    Boston Lad
    USA
    Moves
    15 Oct '14 22:03
    Originally posted by FMF
    So you would not save your children's lives by telling a murderer what they wanted to hear?
  14. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 Oct '14 22:10
    your failure to answer the question clearly shows you have realised the error of your logic.
  15. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    15 Oct '14 22:38

Sorry you don't like it.

It comes with faith.

I find it beyond "too bad" that what people say and the witness they give or do not give means "nothing" to people these days.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree