1. Joined
    21 Nov '08
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 14:20
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Executioner to prisoner:
    If you renounce your faith you will be set free, completely. Otherwise I will burn you to death.

Prisoner:
    No I'd rather die of being burned, thank you.

Or....

Prisoner:
    I renounce my faith in Jesus Christ.

Executioner:
    You are free to go and play with the lambs and baby tigers.

Outside with the lambs and b ...[text shortened]...
    Lord to (ex)prisoner:
    I forgive you, it was a tough test that few choose to take. Be at peace.
    Those are false dilemmas. If the difference is between acting one way and holding a different state of mind, I would say that Christians do well not even to pretend towards the sacrifice of idols. The veritable Justin Martyr was confident of his reward in dying at the hands of the Romans. More than anyone else a Christian in good standing may cling to the assurance of salvation in those situations. Or of any children for that matter, whereas you may think twice about that severely brain damaged child. But who knows the things that are providently ordained? Therefore, ordinarily Christians speak of trusting in His mercy.
  2. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 15:21
    No, here is a man who would let someone die because he is trapped in his own religious mind.
    But you aren't, eh? And you still maintain you are a Christian. Does your faith truly mean nothing to you?
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 15:28
    Do you think using words like "harken" somehow add authority to your posts?
    Do you think putting this particular comment of yours in its own post, even though it quotes the same post as the last comment, somehow adds authority to it?

Yeah, your question is easily just as stupid.

"I have a vocabulary and I'm not afraid to use it." Give me another word for "harken" that gives the same idea as succinctly as the word "harken" and I'll use that, instead, deal?

You're not quite up to the level of misdirection as your mentor, FMF, just yet, but don't feel badly, he's been doing it for far longer than you have.
  4. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 15:331 edit
    No, the scenario in play is not that they are "dead already" it is wether or not you would fake denial of Christ in order to save them. You are saying you would let them die, I say you are either a liar or you are a deluded religionist who has lost all perspective on the nature of god and the value of life.
    The fact remains that you are NOT going to keep a "radicalized terrorist" from killing you merely by telling him what you imagine he "wants to hear". Whether you deny Christ or not has absolutely zero bearing on his willingness to kill you. But you will be quite sorry in a rather immediate way that you used your last words on this earth to deny your Savior.
  5. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 15:43
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I missed this gem you posted previously.
    Where did you get this BS from?
    So murderers are really just great guys, out for the common good of humanity? Of course they are sociopaths. Do you need a definition of "sociopath", is that it?
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 15:48
    Executioner to prisoner:
    If you renounce your faith you will be set free, completely. Otherwise I will burn you to death.

Prisoner:
    No I'd rather die of being burned, thank you.

Or....

Prisoner:
    I renounce my faith in Jesus Christ.

Executioner:
    You are free to go and play with the lambs and baby tigers.

Outside with the lambs and b ...[text shortened]...
    Lord to (ex)prisoner:
    I forgive you, it was a tough test that few choose to take. Be at peace.
    This is childish and naive in the extreme. Do you actually think this has any relation to reality?
  7. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 15:55
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    So St. Peter was sent to hell? Come off it. Oaths sworn under duress are not oaths, and the denial of one's religion under extreme duress is not denial.

Things I'd rather die than do, well post in this thread. eek.
    However, not denying your Savior under extreme duress is often called martyrdom. How would you rather be remembered? Please realize that this man with a gun to your head will probably kill you no matter what you say. I'd rather keep my dignity and my faith in God.

"But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved." -- Matthew 24:13, KJV
  8. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 16:371 edit
    I don't think we know what we would do in these scenarios. People can be psychologically manipulated, and the Stockholm Syndrome is real. All we can say is what we hope we would do. Edit: We could we pray for it or express it as a promise made, etc.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 18:15
    Originally posted by Of Ants and Imps
    Those are false dilemmas. If the difference is between acting one way and holding a different state of mind, I would say that Christians do well not even to pretend towards the sacrifice of idols. The veritable Justin Martyr was confident of his reward in dying at the hands of the Romans. More than anyone else a Christian in good standing may cling ...[text shortened]... that are providently ordained? Therefore, ordinarily Christians speak of trusting in His mercy.
    How is this "a false dilemma"?
  10. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 18:16
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    This is childish and naive in the extreme. Do you actually think this has any relation to reality?
    You're the one using words like "harken"...
  11. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 18:181 edit
    The fact remains that you are NOT going to keep a "radicalized terrorist" from killing you merely by telling him what you imagine he "wants to hear". Whether you deny Christ or not has absolutely zero bearing on his willingness to kill you. But you will be quite sorry in a rather immediate way that you used your last words on this earth to deny your Savior.
    No, the fact (in this scenario) remains that you would let your loved ones die at the murder's hands rather than fake denial of Christ. Sorry, but that's mental.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 18:19
    But you aren't, eh? And you still maintain you are a Christian. Does your faith truly mean nothing to you?
    I "aren't" what?
  13. Joined
    16 Jan '07
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 19:28
    See, this is the thinking allowing people to "not believe" people when they speak. This is part of what leads to some of the most drawn out and vicious arguments in this forum. People post something and others are loathe to take it at face value. They always ask themselves "is this person lying?" Lying was once considered a sin, and has now dropped down ...[text shortened]... e is caught in a lie? It seems few place any social stigma on it anymore. And that is too bad.
    in what way is suggesting that actions speak louder than words implying that its okay to 'not believe' people???? you warped my comments and stretched them into a direction of your choice rather than the meaning they were given.

my comments had a simple meaning. i prefer to judge people by what they do, this does not instantly mean that i place no value on what people say. i have a thing about the word 'promise' i only use that word if i can keep it, if i can then i do (placing value on the spoken word but the true value is on the action of keeping the promise).

the funny thing about your post is you seem to be doing the exact thing you are accusing me of validating. you are adding your own meaning to my words rather than taking them at face value....leading to a (not so vicious) 'argument'. oooohhhhh the irony.
  14. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 19:321 edit
    Give me another word for "harken" that gives the same idea as succinctly as the word "harken" and I'll use that, instead, deal?
    "Listen" ??

😕
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Oct '14 20:581 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree