This forum is a joke

This forum is a joke

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
30 Jun 17

Originally posted by sonship
I might just do that. What was, though, the preceding comment that led to me writing "stupid" in a response ?

Now you skeptics are a fine bunch.
Even the Apostle Paul told fellow Christians not to be "unwise."

Do you know that love sometimes can be an adjusting word ?

[b]" Therefore do not be foolish [stupid maybe?] but unde ...[text shortened]... fully how you walk, not as unwise [stupid maybe?] but as wise..." (v. 15)
[/b]
It really shouldn't matter what the preceding comment was, in order to issue an apology for calling another Christian stupid. (Something you said shouldn't happen when God abides in them).

Rajk had written: "One definition of cult is : a system of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular figure or object."

This led you to respond, "So by religious veneration and devotion to YOURSELF you must be by that definition, in a cult. Did you think that because you quote no one, recommend no one, refer never to anyone else, that makes you not in a cult ? Do you think any Christian who receives help from and/or recommends that others can get help from that source too is in a cult ? Then you're stupid."

First you challenge me to find an example of diminutive name calling. Then you spend days dodging and asking for further clarification of context. Now you even go as far as to imply calling someone stupid is biblically supported. - Why not simply show some Christian humility and man up?

Moves
30 Jun 17
1 edit

Is it like this?

An atheist and a theist walk into a forum...

looking for loot

western colorado

Moves
01 Jul 17

Originally posted by Suzianne
Tell me, then, where would you expect people to post about religion, except in this forum?
Good point.

If you have something you want to say, have at it. Nothing, and no one, is stopping you.
Thank you. The bible is stupid. Well, it has some good things in it, all of them found elsewhere, but they are wrapped up in stupid.

I realize that rationality and critical thinking don't matter to the believers. I think it's not a coincidence that Trump fans have the same limitation. It's like I live in a freaking stone age.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Jul 17
3 edits

Originally posted by apathist
The bible is stupid.

Says the guy whose life's motto is "looking for loot."

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
01 Jul 17

The bible is stupid.

Says the guy whose life's motto is "looking for loot."
and if his motto was "Christ is our Saviour" how would you feel?

Is the veracity of what he says based upon his "motto" ??

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Jul 17
5 edits

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
It really shouldn't matter what the preceding comment was, in order to issue an apology for calling another Christian stupid. (Something you said shouldn't happen when God abides in them).

Rajk had written: "One definition of cult is : a system of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular figure or object."

This led you to ...[text shortened]... omeone stupid is biblically supported. - Why not simply show some Christian humility and man up?
Good morning. Got something spicy for me here ?
My response will be centered on Jesus - that Wonderful Lord and Savior.

What do we have better than Jesus Christ the Son of God ?

You located the exchange?

This led you to respond, "So by religious veneration and devotion to YOURSELF you must be by that definition, in a cult. Did you think that because you quote no one, recommend no one, refer never to anyone else, that makes you not in a cult ? Do you think any Christian who receives help from and/or recommends that others can get help from that source too is in a cult ? Then you're stupid."

Thankyou for finding this.
Notice that I said DO YOU THINK such and such is the case ? ... "THEN" you are stupid.

What a let down. I thought you were going to find me saying something more insulting.
Notice that the way I put it still leaves room for the man to consider his ways.

Not quite the same thing there Ghost, as me saying "You STUPID GUY !!"
Nice try though.

First you challenge me to find an example of diminutive name calling.

Excuse me but the "challenge" was me stepping out on a limb somewhat knowing that it is possible in some heated exchange ( of which there have been a few ) I wrote something strongly worded.

You took me up. You found an example.
IMO it is NOT as strong a case as I expected.

The comment is more the style of "IF" Rajk999 you actually think something,
"THEN" you are stupid.

Then you spend days dodging and asking for further clarification of context.

Giving some attention to subject matter more important to me appeared to you as "dodging". Okay.

Now you even go as far as to imply calling someone stupid is biblically supported. - Why not simply show some Christian humility and man up?

"Foolish" instead of "stupid" would probably be less alienating.
However, once again, my use of "stupid" was measured and allowing Rajk999 to reconsider what he really wants to believe.

I have bolded the usages of the adjective as I had meant.

stu·pid
ˈst(y)o͞opəd/Submit
adjective
having or showing a great lack of intelligence or common sense.
"I was stupid enough to think she was perfect"
synonyms: unintelligent, ignorant, dense, foolish,
dull-witted, slow, simpleminded, vacuous, vapid, idiotic, imbecilic, imbecile, obtuse, doltish; More

Those few I bolded are good enough.

By the way, Rajk999 has hounded me with unflatering personal jabs for a few years here.
If I one day after such long time abuse I write "Do you think ... this? ... then you are stupid" with not much problem to my conscience, it should surprise few.

" Do you think any Christian who receives help from and/or recommends that others can get help from that source too is in a cult ? Then you're stupid."

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Jul 17

Originally posted by wolfgang59
and if his motto was "Christ is our Saviour" how would you feel?

Is the veracity of what he says based upon his "motto" ??
Let him write it first up there. Fair enough ?

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
01 Jul 17

Let him write it first up there. Fair enough ?
No. Not fair enough.
You condemned a person's statement based on their "motto".
I'm asking why.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Jul 17
1 edit

No. Not fair enough.
I'm asking why.
It is easy to write stuff "looking for loot" - "the Bible is stupid".
Don't blame me if I take the one meant to be read multiple times each time he posts, and the blanket generalization that "the Bible is stupid" and point out the irony.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Jul 17
2 edits

A basic problem with some athiests and some skeptics is that they want to slap theists around all over the place, but the smallest bit of their own medicine causes howling with persecution to ensue.

A lot of you want the treatment to go one way only.
From skeptic TO believer.
Bounce back is unfair to the skeptic.

This is called having a glass jaw.

R
Standard memberRemoved

Moves
01 Jul 17
1 edit

C'mon, somebody raise "turn the other cheek" on me.

Resident of Planet X

The Ghost Chamber

Moves
01 Jul 17

Good morning. Got something spicy for me here ?
My response will be centered on Jesus - that Wonderful Lord and Savior.

What do we have better than Jesus Christ the Son of God ?

It really shouldn't matter what the preceding comment was, in order to issue an apology for calling another Christian stupid. (Something you said shouldn't happen wh ...[text shortened]... that others can get help from that source too is in a cult ? Then you're stupid."
[/b]
As expected, you simply don't have it within you to apologise for calling someone stupid. A thousand words come from your fingertips, but not one of them 'sorry.' No demonstration of Christian humility, of God abiding in you.

How thoroughly disappointing. How weak.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
01 Jul 17

Originally posted by apathist
Good point.

[b]If you have something you want to say, have at it. Nothing, and no one, is stopping you.

Thank you. The bible is stupid. Well, it has some good things in it, all of them found elsewhere, but they are wrapped up in stupid.

I realize that rationality and critical thinking don't matter to the believers. I think it's not a coincidence that Trump fans have the same limitation. It's like I live in a freaking stone age.[/b]
No.

See, I view conflating Christians with the "conservative" political slant as disingenuous. Personally, I do not see how Republicans can possibly be Christian, and vice versa.

And oh, yeah, I have no problem approaching religion with rationality and critical thinking. But I am certainly not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. Like they say, an open mind is great, and all, but not quite so open that your brain falls out. Rationality > critical thinking. Criticizing just to criticize isn't thinking.

Misfit Queen

Isle of Misfit Toys

Moves
01 Jul 17

No. Not fair enough.
I'm asking why.
What if he had written "Arbeit macht Frei"?

Words aren't "just" words, they are a window to the mind. And they have consequences.

Granted, Trump hasn't figured this out yet, but we can hope he will eventually.

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
01 Jul 17

Originally posted by Suzianne
No.

See, I view conflating Christians with the "conservative" political slant as disingenuous. Personally, I do not see how Republicans can possibly be Christian, and vice versa.

And oh, yeah, I have no problem approaching religion with rationality and critical thinking. But I am certainly not going to cut off my nose to spite my face. Like they sa ...[text shortened]... rain falls out. Rationality > critical thinking. Criticizing just to criticize isn't thinking.
I could say the same thing about Christians and Democrats, but does it matter? It isn't
being liberal or conservative that matters it is Jesus Christ.