1. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    08 Jan '11 20:03
    Who?

On this day in 1697 poor old Thomas Aikenhead became the last person to be executed for blasphemy in the UK, he was 23yrs old. He was hanged for his 'crimes', he was indicted in December 1696, the indicment read -

the prisoner had repeatedly maintained, in conversation, that theology was a rhapsody of ill-invented nonsense, patched up partly of the moral doctrines of philosophers, and partly of poetical fictions and extravagant chimeras: That he ridiculed the holy scriptures, calling the Old Testament Ezra's fables, in profane allusion to Esop's Fables; That he railed on Christ, saying, he had learned magick in Egypt, which enabled him to perform those pranks which were called miracles: That he called the New Testament the history of the imposter Christ; That he said Moses was the better artist and the better politician; and he preferred Mahomet to Christ: That the Holy Scriptures were stuffed with such madness, nonsense, and contradictions, that he admired the stupidity of the world in being so long deluded by them: That he rejected the mystery of the Trinity as unworthy of refutation; and scoffed at the incarnation of Christ.

Thank God (pun intended) this disgraceful nonsense is no more in most of the world. To those Christians who have been criticising some elements of the Islamic faith of late regarding it's stance towards blasphemy, it wasn't too long ago your faith was carrying out the same atrocities.

We can only hope Asia Noreen doesn't go the same way as Thomas Aikenhead.
  2. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 01:06
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    Who?

On this day in 1697 poor old Thomas Aikenhead became the last person to be executed for blasphemy in the UK, he was 23yrs old. He was hanged for his 'crimes', he was indicted in December 1696, the indicment read -

[i]the prisoner had repeatedly maintained, in conversation, that theology was a rhapsody of ill-invented nonsense, patched up par ...[text shortened]... atrocities.

Thanks for this timely reminder, Proper Knob.
    I assume the christians will not respond or divert your arguement, but in the off chance that they seriously look at the implications of your op, then I think nothing short of a direct confession of the atrocities carried out in the name of "the church" should preceed any other response that they may have.

When I hearof a story such as this one I always think of the thousands of stories like this that never see the light of day.
    God bless these trailblazers that put these revolutionary ideas (revolutionry at the time), ahead of their lives!
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 02:022 edits
    [Thank God (pun intended) this disgraceful nonsense is no more in most of the world. To those Christians who have been criticising some elements of the Islamic faith of late regarding it's stance towards blasphemy, it wasn't too long ago your faith was carrying out the same atrocities.

We can only hope Asia Noreen doesn't go the same way as Thomas Aikenhead.[/b]
    I have posted here before about atrocities carried out by the church in the name of Christ. The beginning of this seems to have occured once theocracies came into existence via Constitine. Before this time Christians were the ones hunted down for not bowing to the gods of Rome and killed. Today theocracies abound in the Islamic world as where they are absent in the Christian world. The result is what you see before you which are head hunts for infidels and those accused of blasphemy and no such witch hunts in Christiandom.

Statism is bad enough but when they evoke the name of God as backing their actions the results are horrid.
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 07:17
    Who?

[i]the prisoner had repeatedly maintained, in conversation, that theology was a rhapsody of ill-invented nonsense, patched up par ...[text shortened]... atrocities.

Poor old Tommy should have kept his mouth shut. Then they wouldn't have hanged him. Right?

You have to watch out for those guys with the gallows. I mean, if someone told you to shut up or get hanged, what would you do?
  5. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 07:32
    Originally posted by josephw
    Poor old Tommy should have kept his mouth shut. Then they wouldn't have hanged him. Right?

You have to watch out for those guys with the gallows. I mean, if someone told you to shut up or get hanged, what would you do?
    I'd rather die in protest than not be allowed to speak😛
  6. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 10:05
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I'd rather die in protest than not be allowed to speak😛
    Thank goodness here in America we have Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Religion.

And, in case some Americans have forgotten, that includes Muslims.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 11:381 edit
    Who?

[i]the prisoner had repeatedly maintained, in conversation, that theology was a rhapsody of ill-invented nonsense, patched up par atrocities.

[/i]That was over 300 years ago! Time doesn't make something less wrong, just less relevant. TODAY people in some countries are being executed for their beliefs or political persuasions in the name of some god or another.
  8. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 15:33

Just imagine for a moment that Jesus of Nazareth followed your advice.
  9. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 15:45
    Originally posted by divegeester
    [/i]That was over 300 years ago! Time doesn't make something less wrong, just less relevant. [b]TODAY people in some countries are being executed for their beliefs or political persuasions in the name of some god or another.[/b]
    Granted it was over 300yrs ago, but that is something to celebrate. It should be noted that blasphemy wasn't completey abolished in England until 2008, it still stands in Scotland and N Ireland.

TODAY people in some countries are being executed for their beliefs or political persuasions in the name of some god or another.

I know, hence my mention of Asia Noreen. The quicker the stain of religion fades from humanity the better in my opinion. Too many people have died and are dying over a load of nonsense.
  10. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 18:14
    Just imagine for a moment that Jesus of Nazareth followed your advice.
    I'd rather take Jesus' advice and mind my own business.

Imagine that I would go into a Muslim nation somewhere and in the public square start shouting out loud that Mohamed was a fraud.

How long do you think I'd live?
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 18:251 edit
    [b]Granted it was over 300yrs ago, but that is something to celebrate. It should be noted that blasphemy wasn't completey abolished in England until 2008, it still stands in Scotland and N Ireland.

[
    Do you want to hear something funny. Arizona just passed some illegal immigration laws that the federal government had not been enforcing for over half a century!!

To allow such laws to remain on the books in my opinion is just governmnetal lazyness/oversight. Laws are insignificant unless they are enforced. Of course, who can blame them as they drown in a sea of letigious, never ending bureaucratic poo. The bottom line is that they had not been enforced since the 1600's, right?
  12. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 18:33
    I'd rather take Jesus' advice and mind my own business.

Imagine that I would go into a Muslim nation somewhere and in the public square start shouting out loud that Mohamed was a fraud.

How long do you think I'd live?
    But Jesus of Nazareth didn't mind his own business did he?

He didn't say to himself -

'I better keep my mouth shut otherwise i might get in trouble.'
  13. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 18:501 edit
    But Jesus of Nazareth didn't mind his own business did he?

He didn't say to himself -

'I better keep my mouth shut otherwise i might get in trouble.'
    As usual you"re thinking backwards.

It was Jesus' business.
  14. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 19:01
    As usual your thinking backwards.

It was Jesus' business.
    I can't be bothered to explain it to you. It's par of the course that you should get lost and confused in a simple thread.

Out of curiousity, do you think the killing of Thomas Aikenhead was justified?
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 19:14
    I can't be bothered to explain it to you. It's par of the course that you should get lost and confused in a simple thread.

Out of curiousity, do you think the killing of Thomas Aikenhead was justified?
    "Out of curiousity, do you think the killing of Thomas Aikenhead was justified?"

Of course not! Killing in the name of God is never justified. That's why you should try to see through the morass of deception surrounding what is truly the Church and that corrupt religious system in all it's guises.

Do you think it was justified to kill Jesus?

Of course not. Jesus was innocent. But His death justifies us if we believe.

Just-if-i'd never sinned.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree