1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    09 Jan '11 21:24
    Originally posted by Suzianne
    Thank goodness here in America we have Freedom of Speech and Freedom of Religion.

And, in case some Americans have forgotten, that includes Muslims.
    Thank goodness, there in America, and here in Australia😛 , we have the right to make whatever amount of money we want, despite our fellow countrymen starving and being cold every night.
    Freedom of speech and freedom of religon goes a bit funny when you goto war...
  2. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    10 Jan '11 13:50
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    I can't be bothered to explain it to you. It's par of the course that you should get lost and confused in a simple thread.

Out of curiousity, do you think the killing of Thomas Aikenhead was justified?
    Are you high? It couldn't be more obvious that the man's sentence was justified. Do you not understand how the rule of law works? He knowingly, admittedly broke the laws of the land, in full and conscious awareness of the consequences. He was given a trial to explore the charges, found guilty as charged.

He got what he deserved!

Now, if you want to make something out of the folly of attempting to establish a nation's laws based on any religion, you might have something. Moreover, your opposition to such a venture would be in complete agreement with the Bible.
  3. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    10 Jan '11 14:08
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    Are you high? It couldn't be more obvious that the man's sentence was justified. Do you not understand how the rule of law works? He knowingly, admittedly broke the laws of the land, in full and conscious awareness of the consequences. He was given a trial to explore the charges, found guilty as charged.

He got what he deserved!

Now, if you want ...[text shortened]... . Moreover, your opposition to such a venture would be in complete agreement with the Bible.
    I got a feeling when you get to heaven that you'll be god's "Head Smiter". No doubt about it. No one is as ruthless as you when applying the word of the bible to these unruly heathens.
  4. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    12 Jan '11 05:10
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    I got a feeling when you get to heaven that you'll be god's "Head Smiter". No doubt about it. No one is as ruthless as you when applying the word of the bible to these unruly heathens.
    Who said anything about applying the Bible to heathens? The society that Aikenhead belonged to had (from my perspective) wrongly adopted a policy which was an (again, in my opinion, wrong) application of their belief system.

No where in the Bible does God command Christians to mete out justice for any damage caused against His name. Blasphemy is a matter of censure within the church, not at all a civil matter.

The Lord Jesus Christ emphatically told us His kingdom is not of this world. Efforts to establish the same in complete defiance of His orders will inevitably and miserably fail.

That being said, since Aikenhead knew he disagreed with the status quo, he had but two choices: stay while shutting up or leave while voicing his disagreements--- just so long as he was outside of their jurisdiction, of course.
  5. Standard memberDasa
    Dasa
    Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Jan '11 06:10
    Originally posted by josephw
    [b]"Out of curiousity, do you think the killing of Thomas Aikenhead was justified?"

Of course not! Killing in the name of God is never justified. That's why you should try to see through the morass of deception surrounding what is truly the Church and that corrupt religious system in all it's guises.

Do you think it was justified to kill Jesus?
    ...[text shortened]... Jesus was innocent. But His death justifies us if we believe.

Just-if-i'd never sinned.[/b]
    The death of Jesus has no bearing on a persons sinful nature what so ever.

One who desires to return back home to Godhead, must raise their consciousness to the transcendental platform of love of god, and only then may they return home.

To raise the consciousness one must live a spiritual life of self control, and take knowledge from the one and only religion of Vedanta Sutra.

Following substitute religion will not develop the spiritual qualities to do this

Substitute religion has no higher spiritual knowledge to assist the person to advance in the spiritual life, and actually it will keep them in their sinful nature, by being misdirected.
  6. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    12 Jan '11 10:291 edit

He got what he deserved!

Now, if you want . Moreover, your opposition to such a venture would be in complete agreement with the Bible.
    Yes, yes, yes. I know you seem to have this bizarre fetish with death and retribution from your comments in the debates forum recently. Even people who accidentally kill someone should be executed? Or something like that right?!

I understand how the law of the land works, i was asking that as a Christian do you think people should be executed simply for not believing in God? The law of the land is the law of the land, but is hanging someone an appropriate penalty?

An analogy. Thailand has strict laws for drug smuggling, the death penalty in some cases. You'd be an idiot for trying to smuggle drugs, but is killing someone for trying to smuggle a few ounces of 'Thai sticks' really justified? That's what i'm getting at.

He got what he deserved!

I'm assuming you feel the same way about Asia Noreen? She's the Christian women who faces being hung in Pakistan for breaking their blasphemy laws. Or what about -

Christian martyrs? They got what they deserved?!
    Paul of Tarsus? Did he get what he deserved?!
    The Apostles? Did they get what they deserved?
    What about Jesus? Did he get what he deserved?!
  7. e4
    Moves
    12 Jan '11 13:501 edit
    I know a little about this episode as it all took place within a few
    100 yards from where I live.

The Edinburgh University had these books that cast doubt (asked questions)
    about religion.

People were quoting these books and getting imprisoned or placed in stocks.
    Aikenhead told a 'friend' he had read such a book and was grassed up.

He was not preaching blasphemy but talking boldy amongst so called friends.

He was arrested and the church decided to nip this freedom of thought in the bud.

He should not have been hanged because this was his first offence but
    the church did not let that stand in their way. They needed to set an example.

Apparently when he was hanged he was surrounded by the very clergy
    who had found him guilty all baying for his blood condemming him to Hell.

Chritianity in all it's glory.

YouTube
  8. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    12 Jan '11 17:202 edits
    Who?

On this day in 1697 poor old Thomas Aikenhead became the last person to be executed for blasphemy in the UK, he was 23yrs old. He was hanged for his 'crimes', he was indicted in December 1696, the indicment read -

the prisoner had repeatedly maintained, in conversation, that theology was a rhapsody of ill-invented nonsense, patched up par ...[text shortened]... atrocities.

We can only hope Asia Noreen doesn't go the same way as Thomas Aikenhead.
    You said "Achin' Head," that was pretty funny.
    I can't find the "italics trap" most are falling into in your OP,
    but I think I know one way around it.😛
  9. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    13 Jan '11 04:28
    Yes, yes, yes. I know you seem to have this bizarre fetish with death and retribution from your comments in the debates forum recently. Even people who accidentally kill someone should be executed? Or something like that right?!

I understand how the law of the land works, i was asking that as a Christian do you think people should be executed simply f ...[text shortened]... ostles? Did they get what they deserved?
    I know you seem to have this bizarre fetish with death and retribution from your comments in the debates forum recently.
    You know not of what you speak. You are a dunderhead, apparently.

Even people who accidentally kill someone should be executed? Or something like that right?!
    In addition to the aforementioned dunderheadedness, it is evident that you lack basic reading-slash-comprehension skills and the rudimentary analytical skills necessary to process simple information. Not once in the alluded-to conversation was there mention of accidental murder, but rather wanton disregard for human life. I understand how much more enjoyable it is for one of your diminished intellect to 'win' imagined verbal exchanges than to face the reality of certain situations, but such actions are merely serving to further (if possible) stunt your growth.

I understand how the law of the land works
    I'm certain of it, dear. That's what led you to ask the question in the first place, naturally.

i was asking that as a Christian do you think people should be executed simply for not believing in God?
    Slight correction here. You are asking. You did not ask this previously, as can be ferreted out by reading what has been posted to this thread. By you.

The law of the land is the law of the land, but is hanging someone an appropriate penalty?
    Look at you! You went (nearly!) an entire sentence before betraying your understanding of the rule of law. Bully for you.

Christian martyrs? They got what they deserved?!
    Emphatically, yes.

Paul of Tarsus? Did he get what he deserved?!
    Without question, yes.

The Apostles? Did they get what they deserved?
    Please see above responses.

Not yet, but He did make the down payment, so it's just a matter of time.
  10. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    13 Jan '11 12:231 edit
    [b]I know you seem to have this bizarre fetish with death and retribution from your comments in the debates forum recently.
    You know not of what you speak. You are a dunderhead, apparently.

Even people who accidentally kill someone should be executed? Or something like that right?!
    In addition to the aforementioned dunderheadedness, it is e deserved?![/b]
    Not yet, but He did make the down payment, so it's just a matter of time.[/b]
    The love and compassion that runs through your veins must be overwhelming.

Wallowing in joy?! You sure about that?

I notice Asia Noreen (the Christian women who faces being hung for blaspheming in Pakistan) was conspicuous by her absence from recieving your 'deserved' death. Was that a minor oversight, or doesn't she deserve to be hung?

(you do make me laugh though)
  11. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    13 Jan '11 12:47

I notice Asia Noreen (the Christian women who faces being hung for blaspheming in Pakistan) was conspicuous by her absence from recieving your 'deserved' death. Was that a minor oversight, or doesn't she deserve to be hung?

I must admit that, at times, I find myself wondering how much more one person can take.

Indubitably.

Was that a minor oversight, or doesn't she deserve to be hung?
    Without question. And, as with all other martyrs, she will someday laugh at the exchange... if she isn't already.

I dare say it's because you don't understand exactly what is at stake.
  12. St. Peter's
    Moves
    13 Jan '11 13:04
    Granted it was over 300yrs ago, but that is something to celebrate. It should be noted that blasphemy wasn't completey abolished in England until 2008, it still stands in Scotland and N Ireland.

[b]TODAY people in some countries are being executed for their beliefs or political persuasions in the name of some god or another.

I know, hence my me ...[text shortened]... nity the better in my opinion. Too many people have died and are dying over a load of nonsense.[/b]
    more people have ben executed, tortured or killed in war due to secular humanistic ideas than religion. You will likely luagh at that idea, but it is still true nonetheless. Stalin, Polpot, Hitler (his was about race not religion), the French revolution, the American revolution, world war 1, Korea, Vietnam....and the list goes on and on. Religion doesn't even come close. The sooner the stain of seculare humanism is erased from the planet the better.
  13. St. Peter's
    Moves
    13 Jan '11 13:11
    I can't be bothered to explain it to you. It's par of the course that you should get lost and confused in a simple thread.

Out of curiousity, do you think the killing of Thomas Aikenhead was justified?
    Apples and oranges...Jesus never blasphemed, he challanged the secular ideas that had crept into the Jewish religion. Here again secularism is responsible for a death.
  14. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    13 Jan '11 15:48
    Originally posted by Doward
    more people have ben executed, tortured or killed in war due to secular humanistic ideas than religion. You will likely luagh at that idea, but it is still true nonetheless. Stalin, Polpot, Hitler (his was about race not religion), the French revolution, the American revolution, world war 1, Korea, Vietnam....and the list goes on and on. Religion doesn't even come close. The sooner the stain of seculare humanism is erased from the planet the better.
    You will likely luagh at that idea.

I may not luagh, but i may laugh.

Religion doesn't even come close.

I feel you may be looking at this through your 'religion tinted' glasses. Now i don't want to get into a 'death off' with you but i will fire away whilst i eat my omelette.

1. Slave trade. The Old Testament set the tone for 2,000yrs of slavery. As the Reverend Thomas Stringfellow put in his 1856 work, "A Scriptural View of Slavery:"

Jesus Christ recognized this institution as one that was lawful among men, and regulated its relative duties... I affirm then, first (and no man denies) that Jesus Christ has not abolished slavery by a prohibitory command; and second, I affirm, he has introduced no new moral principle which can work its destruction...

How many lives would've been saved if God just came out from the start and said, slavery is a sin?

2. Partition in India.

3. Iran-Iraq war and the countless other lives lost in the whole Sunni-Shia nonsense.

4. Palestine. How many lives have been lost in that debacle over the last 2,000yrs?

5. Spanish conquest of the Americas.

And on, and on, and on.
  15. St. Peter's
    Moves
    13 Jan '11 20:52
    [b]You will likely luagh at that idea.

I may not luagh, but i may laugh.

Religion doesn't even come close.

I feel you may be looking at this through your 'religion tinted' glasses. Now i don't want to get into a 'death off' with you but i will fire away whilst i eat my omelette.

1. Slave trade. The Old Testament set the tone for 2 ...[text shortened]... the last 2,000yrs?

5. Spanish conquest of the Americas.

And on, and on, and on.[/b]
    1. How exactly does the bible imply that slaves should be killed or that people should kill others to obtain them? This argument belongs in another discussion, one i would gladly engage in

2. The partition in india was a political solutuion and not religous, though religion was one of the criteria. Its use as a criteria was more cultural, again this cannot be blamed on religion

3. The Iran-Iraq war: This one is quite interesting. Religion plays a part in this though largely it was the politics of oil. The US encouraged Iraq to Invade Iran. the Sunni Shi'a part is actually quite small. The difference between sunni and shi'a is that sunnis believe in a secular government while shi'a believe in theocracies. This is not what that war was over. Again you choose a bad example.

4. Palestine: The UN, a non-religous world organization, created Israel. There are religous undertones, but this again falls into politics and ethnic divides

5. Spanish conquest of the Americas? LOL! this was about gold and money....I think evryone knows this.

You couldn't have picked worse examples to draw on to support your position.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree