To kill or not to kill: capital punishment

To kill or not to kill: capital punishment

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
20 Apr 07

Originally posted by josephw
You must live in a sheltered world. Have you ever been around criminals? They are unreliable, untrustworthy, and liars. They are not fit to be treated with anything like respect or dignity. Murderers, at the very least, should be locked up for life.
And here it is. Apparently if you commit a crime you aren't a proper human being. This is the same mentality behind war crimes (those guys aren't proper human beings or they'd be on our side), behind racial attacks (black aren't proper people) and Xenophobia (they are savages).

Who are you to judge who is deserving of respect or dignity? Who are you to judge who is deserving of death?

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
20 Apr 07

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
And here it is. Apparently if you commit a crime you aren't a proper human being. This is the same mentality behind war crimes (those guys aren't proper human beings or they'd be on our side), behind racial attacks (black aren't proper people) and Xenophobia (they are savages).

Who are you to judge who is deserving of respect or dignity? Who are you to judge who is deserving of death?
Do you believe in the law? We have courts that meet out justice.
And don't talk so foolish. We're talking about criminals. When you start making comparisons, like you did, it is obviously because you have a weak argument and have to resort to irrational accusations.

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
20 Apr 07

Do you believe in the law? We have courts that meet out justice.
And don't talk so foolish. We're talking about criminals. When you start making comparisons, like you did, it is obviously because you have a weak argument and have to resort to irrational accusations.
You said that criminals aren't worthy of respect or dignity. That's you making that judgement. Why?

And I believe in the law of my country, where we don't execute people or convict them of crimes they didn't commit (for the most part).

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
20 Apr 07

Originally posted by XanthosNZ
You said that criminals aren't worthy of respect or dignity. That's you making that judgement. Why?

And I believe in the law of my country, where we don't execute people or convict them of crimes they didn't commit (for the most part).
I also asked,(dottewell), if he had ever had any exposure to criminals.
Have you? I have. And I can and do make judgements based on my experience with them.
When someone commits murder, and is punished appropriately, then we show our respect for life. That is the dignified thing to do. Anything less IS barbaric.

a
Andrew Mannion

Melbourne, Australia

Moves
20 Apr 07

So what is so wrong with executing murderers? One would think, as an atheist and evolutionist, you would be all for removing the more primitive types that KILL people. It's the civilized thing to do!
You obviously don't know what justice is.
As a christian I read and believe the whole bible. And Jesus wasn't the pacifist everybody tries to make him out to be. He kept the law, and that means he also was for it's enforcement.
Primitive types?
What the?

This notion of Darwinism as the 'survival of the fittest' is out of date and horribly irrelevant to the debate about capital punishment. I don't want to remove anyone.
Rather I think it demonstrates the civility of a society when they can make the decision NOT to kill another for whatever reason.

And by the way, I'm not a pacifist.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
20 Apr 07

You must live in a sheltered world. Have you ever been around criminals? They are unreliable, untrustworthy, and liars. They are not fit to be treated with anything like respect or dignity. Murderers, at the very least, should be locked up for life.
Actually I have met a murderer. A really nice gentle soul. Did his time and came out of prison looking to redeem his life and help others turn their lives around and is doing a quite remarkable job at it. He has a loving wife and two wonderful kids. It's kind of nice to see the Gospel lived out, wouldn't you say?

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
20 Apr 07

I also asked,(dottewell), if he had ever had any exposure to criminals.
Have you? I have. And I can and do make judgements based on my experience with them.
When someone commits murder, and is punished appropriately, then we show our respect for life. That is the dignified thing to do. Anything less IS barbaric.
You've turned things on their head. Executing murderers shows respect for life and to not do so is barbaric? That's ridiculous.

You still haven't addressed the point of the wrongly convicted. Or make a logical argument for any of your moral views.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
20 Apr 07

Originally posted by amannion
Primitive types?
What the?

This notion of Darwinism as the 'survival of the fittest' is out of date and horribly irrelevant to the debate about capital punishment. I don't want to remove anyone.
Rather I think it demonstrates the civility of a society when they can make the decision NOT to kill another for whatever reason.

And by the way, I'm not a pacifist.
We think differently. We vote in free domacratic elections, and we make laws to govern society. Majority rules. If the majority says to exicute murderers then that's what we do.
But I guess we could argue all day whether it's right or wrong.
Now I'm going to bed. Good night! 😴

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
20 Apr 07

We think differently. We vote in free domacratic elections, and we make laws to govern society. Majority rules. If the majority says to exicute murderers then that's what we do.
So abortion is OK because we have laws supporting it that are backed up by democratic elections?

X
Cancerous Bus Crash

p^2.sin(phi)

Moves
20 Apr 07
1 edit

If the majority of the people made the practice of Christianity a crime that would be fine by you?

EDIT: Kirksey has a better example.

w
Chocolate Expert

Cocoa Mountains

Moves
20 Apr 07

There are plenty of reasons against capital punishment that have nothing to do with morals, let alone religion:

Thread 63133

However, when voicing my opinion against the death penalty, I draw on both religious and practical purposes. And getting back to the first post, I think the mindset of much of the OT and its authors was very unforgiving and unsympathetic regarding crime. Not to mention the fact that some of the OT is probably mythology, but that's another story. No, I think Christians, at least, should look to the words of Jesus and attempt, at the least, to "love our enemies."

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
20 Apr 07

Originally posted by dottewell
I don't really understand your post, but surely you can see this isn't what I'm saying?
I believe there is a bottom line, with an atheist they are the bottom
line, and why they do they bottom it out? Is it only personal taste,
beyond that you have not said anything to make me think otherwise.
Kelly

Walk your Faith

USA

Moves
20 Apr 07

Cape Town

Moves
20 Apr 07

Just as a matter of interest. Why do theists not commit murder more regularly? Surely for a theist, death is not nearly as bad as it is for an atheist as it isn't really death at all but in many cases going to heaven!
So if you kill a Christian then all you are really doing is speeding his path to heaven and if his friends and loved ones are Christian then they will be glad for him and not sad.
I know that you would be breaking a commandment but Christians break the other commandments quite readily and even claim that they are incapable of avoiding sin. So whats so bad about murder?

w

Moves
20 Apr 07

Originally posted by twhitehead
So whats so bad about murder?[/b]
🙄