1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 May '17 08:551 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    When you say God/Jesus "had to die" how do you figure that to be so? You believe humanity's behvaiour had backed God into a corner leaving him no choice?
    He obviously had a choice, he could have left us in our sin but choose not to. Jesus willingly lay down his life to save us.
  2. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 May '17 09:07
    Originally posted by dj2becker
    He obviously had a choice, he could have left us in our sin but choose not to. Jesus willingly lay down his life to save us.
    So you believe God didn't have the power to forgive "sins" without Jesus being executed by the Romans?
  3. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 May '17 09:12
    Originally posted by FMF
    So you believe God didn't have the power to forgive "sins" without Jesus being executed by the Romans?
    God is Holy which mean he cannot tolerate sin. But he is also just, which means sin needs to be punished. If someone murdered your entire family and the judge said just let him go you would want justice wouldn't you? The only way for the murderer to get off with justice being maintained would be if someone else stepped up and said I did it the condemned man is innocent.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 May '17 09:16
    The only way for the murderer to get off with justice being maintained would be if someone else stepped up and said I did it the condemned man is innocent.
    How is what you describe "justice"?

"Someone else stepped up and said I did it", when they didn't?
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    24 May '17 09:18
    Joe has christian friends? Maybe the leftist ilk.

Suzy are you his friend?
  6. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 May '17 09:20
    Originally posted by FMF
    How is what you describe "justice"?

"Someone else stepped up and said I did it", when they didn't?
    It is not only justice but the ultimate sacrifice.

Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 May '17 09:22
    FMF: How is what you describe "justice"?

It is not only justice but the ultimate sacrifice.
    Repeating the assertion does not answer the question.
  8. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 May '17 09:23
    Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends.
    The question is, why do you insist God "had to" lay down the life of a human version of himself? It sounds like a non-sequitur.
  9. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 May '17 09:32
    Originally posted by FMF
    Repeating the assertion does not answer the question.
    1 John 2:2
    He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.

Christ is "the propitiation," because by his becoming our substitute and assuming our obligations he expiated our guilt, covered it, by the punishment which he endured.
  10. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 May '17 09:39
    1 John 2:2
    He is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only but also for the sins of the whole world.

Christ is "the propitiation," because by his becoming our substitute and assuming our obligations he expiated our guilt, covered it, by the punishment which he endured.
    This is still the mere regurgitation of dogma and not an explanation. What was stopping God from forgiving "sins" without doing what Christians have convinced themselves he did?
  11. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 May '17 09:45
    Originally posted by FMF
    This is still the mere regurgitation of dogma and not an explanation. What was stopping God from forgiving "sins" without doing what Christians have convinced themselves he did?
    Would you think a judge who simply forgives someone and lets them off scot free is being just? Yes or No?
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 May '17 09:49
    Would you think a judge who simply forgives someone and lets them off scot free is being just? Yes or No?
    It would surely depend on the details of the case. I think mercy and forgiveness can be a morally sound course of action in many situations.

If your judge punishes someone (who didn't commit the crime but) who steps in to take the punishment instead of the person who did the crime, is that - in your view - "justice"?
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    24 May '17 09:50
    The holy God cannot let sin go unpunished.
    How will you be "punished" for your "sins" then?
  14. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 May '17 09:54
    Originally posted by FMF
    It would surely depend on the details of the case. I think mercy and forgiveness can be a morally sound course of action in many situations.

If your judge punishes someone (who didn't commit the crime but) who steps in to take the punishment instead of the person who did the crime, is that - in your view - "justice"?
    If you were facing death row and someone offered to take your punishment and your place at the gallows would you accept it or not?
  15. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    24 May '17 09:56
    Originally posted by FMF
    How will you be "punished" for your "sins" then?
    Jesus took our punishment upon himself.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree