1. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 07:47
    Darwin was quoted as saying "God is too profound for humans to understand, similar to a dog contemplating Newton's law of gravity".
    (Paraphrasing)

I cannot disagree.

For those who read the Bible, accept it as truth, and attempt to defend it, good for you. But I am now at a stage where I agree with Darwin's quote.

Just wanted to share that with my many friends here.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 07:53
    To add:

I just watched a documentary on HBO.....Questions-Darwin, and it was good.
  3. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 08:19
    Originally posted by chaney3
    WILLIAMSON: Where have you been, Shelly? Bruce and Harriet Nyborg? Do you want to see the memos...? They're nuts... they used to call in every week. When I was with Webb. And we were selling Arizona...they're nuts... did you see how they were living? How can you delude yours... the people are insane. They just like talking to salesmen.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 08:23
    Originally posted by FMF
    WILLIAMSON: Where have you been, Shelly? Bruce and Harriet Nyborg? Do you want to see the memos...? They're nuts... they used to call in every week. When I was with Webb. And we were selling Arizona...they're nuts... did you see how they were living? How can you delude yours... the people are insane. They just like talking to salesmen.
    I don't understand english people.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 08:29
    I don't understand english people.
    I think you are like Bruce Nyborg. And the "salesmen" are Christians.
  6. Joined
    28 Aug '16
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 10:46
    Darwin was quoted as saying "God is too profound for humans to understand, similar to a dog contemplating Newton's law of gravity".
    (Paraphrasing)

I cannot disagree.

For those who read the Bible, accept it as truth, and attempt to defend it, good for you. But I am now at a stage where I agree with Darwin's quote.

What is it about an HBO program, specifically a 'quote' that would be so compelling that you would change you view/beliefs?
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 10:54
    (Paraphrasing) I cannot disagree.
    God may well be profound, but Chtistians believe they have literature - 66 divinely inspired books - that communicate directly with them. Furthermore, they have the intellectual capacity to make a reasonable attempt to understand what the substance of that communication is.

Dogs contemplating Newton's law of gravity, on the other hand, have neither the intellectual capacity nor the body of literature to enable them to approach Newton's law of gravity.

So this comparison [that you say you agree with] is fatuous.
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 17:11
    Originally posted by leunammi

What is it about an HBO program, specifically a 'quote' that would be so compelling that you would change you view/beliefs?
    There is no way to balance a loving God with all of the pain and suffering in this life.

Blaming everything on Adam and Eve eating an apple is weak, and has removed God from everything.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 17:21
    Originally posted by FMF
    God may well be profound, but Chtistians believe they have literature - 66 divinely inspired books - that communicate directly with them. Furthermore, they have the intellectual capacity to make a reasonable attempt to understand what the substance of that communication is.

Dogs contemplating Newton's law of gravity, on the other hand, have neither the intel ...[text shortened]... proach Newton's law of gravity.

So this comparison [that you say you agree with] is fatuous.
    I disagree with you.

People who claim to understand God through the Bible are erroneous. God claims that He loves us, and that human life is special. But everyday life proves this wrong. To blame the immense suffering on Adam and Eve is becoming tedious.

God either cares, or He doesn't.
  10. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 17:251 edit
    God either cares, or He doesn't.
    You are making two contradictory claims:
    1. That you are capable of understanding enough to rule out the possibility that some people understand God.
    2. That God is not understandable.

The reality is that you need significant understanding of something before you can declare that it is not understandable to anyone.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 17:28
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    You are making two contradictory claims:
    1. That you are capable of understanding enough to rule out the possibility that some people understand God.
    2. That God is not understandable.

The reality is that you need significant understanding of something before you can declare that it is not understandable to anyone.
    God is not understandable.
  12. Joined
    26 Feb '09
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 17:39
    (Paraphrasing)

I cannot disagree.

Darwin's intellect could not grasp the simplicity of God. The fact that an all powerful being only asked of us, to love Him.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 17:47
    Originally posted by Pudgenik
    Darwin's intellect could not grasp the simplicity of God. The fact that an all powerful being only asked of us, to love Him.
    That's a good deal for God.

Let torture, pain and suffering happen to mankind, but we will love Him.

It is too profound.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 18:13
    The point of Darwin's quote is that we humans cannot comprehend God. He was not an atheist, and he had a point.

I question anyone who claims to know God through the Bible, because the Bible is littered with contradiction.

The primary contradiction is that God cares about humans, because the evidence shows otherwise.
  15. Cape Town
    Moves
    12 Dec '16 18:30
    God is not understandable.
    And you know this how?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree