1. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Joined
    19 Feb '09
    Moves
    36544
    27 Apr '11 16:31
    Hindus believe that when a person dies i) his /her soul leaves the body and yet lingers on for a period of 10 days near the place of death,till a "Shraddha" ceremony is conducted which includes preparation of food items especially liked by the dead person and taking the offerings near the burning "ghat" and offering them to crows. If the crow takes the morsel immediately,it is accepted as a sign that the dead has no more desires left. But if the crow does not pick up the food morsel,for a time,then promises are made loudly to the departed soul that this or that thing will be done as per his desires etc. and he is requested to take up the morsel through the crow. Many a times the crow does take up the morsel after the mourners keep silent but it does happen that no crow takes up the offering. In that case a crow made up of grass is brought near the food and his grass beak is touched with food,which ends the ceremony.However this is interpreted as the departed not going in for a new body right away but being keen on settling some matter before starting on his transmigration journey.A worrisome thing ! ii) The transmigration of the soul takes place after the soul has either enjoyed heaven/got punished in hell as per the balance of his Karmas and then the soul goes on and selects a new body for his/her rebirth.
    My request to you is whether you believe in reincarnation and why/why not ?
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    27 Apr '11 16:43
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    Hindus believe that when a person dies i) his /her soul leaves the body and yet lingers on for a period of 10 days near the place of death,till a "Shraddha" ceremony is conducted which includes preparation of food items especially liked by the dead person and taking the offerings near the burning "ghat" and offering them to crows. If the crow takes the mo ...[text shortened]... is/her rebirth.
    My request to you is whether you believe in reincarnation and why/why not ?
    No. Have never seen any credible evidence to believe it true. Seems likely that such a belief stems from a fear of death.
  3. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    27 Apr '11 17:12
    Maybe. I made a thread about it a while back.
  4. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    27 Apr '11 17:17
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    No. Have never seen any credible evidence to believe it true. Seems likely that such a belief stems from a fear of death.
    No, I don't, but this gives me a chance to say that absence of belief that it does happen, does not logically imply or compel or lead to belief that it does not happen. I just look inside myself and find neither belief to be there.

    Alan Watts said, "You and I are all as much continuous with the physical universe as a wave is continuous with the ocean. The ocean waves, and the universe peoples." I'd add, it cats, it trees, and it rocks!
  5. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    10115
    27 Apr '11 18:382 edits
    Originally posted by JS357
    No, I don't, but this gives me a chance to say that absence of belief that it does happen, does not logically imply or compel or lead to belief that it does not happen. I just look inside myself and find neither belief to be there.

    Alan Watts said, "You and I are all as much continuous with the physical universe as a wave is continuous with the ocean. The ocean waves, and the universe peoples." I'd add, it cats, it trees, and it rocks!
    No, I don't, but this gives me a chance to say that absence of belief that it does happen, does not logically imply or compel or lead to belief that it does not happen.

    Not sure what significance this is supposed to convey. Seems like this would also apply to the belief in exisitence of unicorns, the FSM, etc.; the beliefs of all spiritual traditions, etc. In short, every belief. That said, why say anything at all?
  6. Joined
    29 Dec '08
    Moves
    6788
    27 Apr '11 20:23
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    [b]No, I don't, but this gives me a chance to say that absence of belief that it does happen, does not logically imply or compel or lead to belief that it does not happen.

    Not sure what significance this is supposed to convey. Seems like this would also apply to the belief in exisitence of unicorns, the FSM, etc.; the beliefs of all spiritual traditions, etc. In short, every belief. That said, why say anything at all?[/b]
    Sorry, I posted my reply to you instead of the OP rvsakhadeo by accident.

    I take those things on a case by case basis and when asked only what I believe (and not why) I just introspect to see whether I have a belief about it and if so, what it is. Of course your mileage may vary. Sometimes I think people assume "I don't believe X is Y" means "I believe X isn't Y" but it doesn't always mean that.
  7. Joined
    19 Jul '08
    Moves
    77354
    27 Apr '11 20:58
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    Hindus believe that when a person dies i) his /her soul leaves the body and yet lingers on for a period of 10 days near the place of death,till a "Shraddha" ceremony is conducted which includes preparation of food items especially liked by the dead person and taking the offerings near the burning "ghat" and offering them to crows. If the crow takes the mo ...[text shortened]... is/her rebirth.
    My request to you is whether you believe in reincarnation and why/why not ?
    No proof that it exist....
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91531
    27 Apr '11 21:182 edits
    Originally posted by galveston75
    No proof that it exist....
    Funny you should be talking about proofs .... when the athiests give you proofs for evolution ,or some such, you usually dismiss them.
  9. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Joined
    21 Aug '06
    Moves
    11458
    27 Apr '11 22:041 edit
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Funny you should be talking about proofs .... when the athiests give you proofs for evolution ,or some such, you usually dismiss them.
    Fundies have an uncanny knack for betraying the 'logic' they use to support their own religions when they have their sights set on someone elses ;]
  10. Donationbuckky
    Filthy sinner
    Outskirts of bliss
    Joined
    24 Sep '02
    Moves
    96652
    28 Apr '11 00:29
    I like the idea of being able to do it over. If you mess up this life then maybe you can get it right in another. It seems far less harsh than either you go to Heaven or Hell and thats it.
    Is it true that Hindus believe that cows go straight into human incarnation upon death, and that is why they are looked upon as Holy ?
  11. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Joined
    19 Feb '09
    Moves
    36544
    28 Apr '11 11:11
    Originally posted by buckky
    I like the idea of being able to do it over. If you mess up this life then maybe you can get it right in another. It seems far less harsh than either you go to Heaven or Hell and thats it.
    Is it true that Hindus believe that cows go straight into human incarnation upon death, and that is why they are looked upon as Holy ?
    Hindu religious thought consists of a jumble of concepts from the noblest ones about the Ultimate Reality to hoary and ludicrous superstitions,because it is an old religion having absorbed many cultures and sects across the subcontinent. But have not heard of cow going to heaven on death.Cow is a sacred animal much loved by Hindus.
  12. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Joined
    19 Feb '09
    Moves
    36544
    28 Apr '11 13:55
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Funny you should be talking about proofs .... when the athiests give you proofs for evolution ,or some such, you usually dismiss them.
    For your knowledge, Karoly, the Hindu thought in these matters says that we are formed of three bodies.One body is called the Sthula Deha or the gross body. As everyone knows the gross body is made up of muscles,bones,fat,blood etc. The second body is the Sukshma Deha or the subtle body. The subtle body comprises of the bundle of "Karma"s that we carry from the current birth and the memories/impressions from the past births,if any. A thought did occur to me while typing this out that this bundle of past memories/impressions could very well be taken,as per modern scientific thinking, as the information contained in the genetic code. The third body is the Karan Deha or the Causal body which is another word for Soul. At death,the gross body is abandoned by the Subtle body and the Causal body.The Subtle body is attached to the Causal body and is carried by the the Causal body wherever it goes. It may go to heave or hell and from there the duo will come to enter a new gross body. Unless we destroy the subtle body by spiritual practices, we i.e. our Causal body,the Soul will not attain liberation.
  13. Standard memberrvsakhadeo
    rvsakhadeo
    India
    Joined
    19 Feb '09
    Moves
    36544
    28 Apr '11 14:26
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    Maybe. I made a thread about it a while back.
    Dr.Ian Stevenson,who is no more and Dr.Satwant Pasricha( an eminent Indian neuroscientist working in National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences,Bengaluru,India) had conducted research on these cases.Stevenson investigated 3000 cases and Dr.Pasricha 500 cases. Both of them believe that Reincarnation is a distinct [possibility. Carl Sagan and Arthur C.Clarke were intrigued by the findings and although not agreeing with Stevenson,Carl Sagan says that the cases do suggest that reincarnation cases are well worth investigating.
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    the Devil himself
    Brisbane,QLD
    Joined
    11 Apr '09
    Moves
    91531
    28 Apr '11 14:26
    Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
    For your knowledge, Karoly, the Hindu thought in these matters says that we are formed of three bodies.One body is called the Sthula Deha or the gross body. As everyone knows the gross body is made up of muscles,bones,fat,blood etc. The second body is the Sukshma Deha or the subtle body. The subtle body comprises of the bundle of "Karma"s that we carry f ...[text shortened]... btle body by spiritual practices, we i.e. our Causal body,the Soul will not attain liberation.
    Thank you.
  15. SubscriberAThousandYoung
    Just another day
    tinyurl.com/y8wgt7a5
    Joined
    23 Aug '04
    Moves
    24791
    28 Apr '11 15:00
Back to Top