Transmigration of Souls

Transmigration of Souls

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
27 Apr 11

Hindus believe that when a person dies i) his /her soul leaves the body and yet lingers on for a period of 10 days near the place of death,till a "Shraddha" ceremony is conducted which includes preparation of food items especially liked by the dead person and taking the offerings near the burning "ghat" and offering them to crows. If the crow takes the morsel immediately,it is accepted as a sign that the dead has no more desires left. But if the crow does not pick up the food morsel,for a time,then promises are made loudly to the departed soul that this or that thing will be done as per his desires etc. and he is requested to take up the morsel through the crow. Many a times the crow does take up the morsel after the mourners keep silent but it does happen that no crow takes up the offering. In that case a crow made up of grass is brought near the food and his grass beak is touched with food,which ends the ceremony.However this is interpreted as the departed not going in for a new body right away but being keen on settling some matter before starting on his transmigration journey.A worrisome thing ! ii) The transmigration of the soul takes place after the soul has either enjoyed heaven/got punished in hell as per the balance of his Karmas and then the soul goes on and selects a new body for his/her rebirth.
My request to you is whether you believe in reincarnation and why/why not ?

T

Moves
27 Apr 11

Originally posted by rvsakhadeo
Hindus believe that when a person dies i) his /her soul leaves the body and yet lingers on for a period of 10 days near the place of death,till a "Shraddha" ceremony is conducted which includes preparation of food items especially liked by the dead person and taking the offerings near the burning "ghat" and offering them to crows. If the crow takes the mo ...[text shortened]... is/her rebirth.
No. Have never seen any credible evidence to believe it true. Seems likely that such a belief stems from a fear of death.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
27 Apr 11

Maybe. I made a thread about it a while back.

Moves
27 Apr 11

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
No. Have never seen any credible evidence to believe it true. Seems likely that such a belief stems from a fear of death.
No, I don't, but this gives me a chance to say that absence of belief that it does happen, does not logically imply or compel or lead to belief that it does not happen. I just look inside myself and find neither belief to be there.

Alan Watts said, "You and I are all as much continuous with the physical universe as a wave is continuous with the ocean. The ocean waves, and the universe peoples." I'd add, it cats, it trees, and it rocks!

T

Moves
27 Apr 11
2 edits

Originally posted by JS357
No, I don't, but this gives me a chance to say that absence of belief that it does happen, does not logically imply or compel or lead to belief that it does not happen. I just look inside myself and find neither belief to be there.

Alan Watts said, "You and I are all as much continuous with the physical universe as a wave is continuous with the ocean. The ocean waves, and the universe peoples." I'd add, it cats, it trees, and it rocks!
No, I don't, but this gives me a chance to say that absence of belief that it does happen, does not logically imply or compel or lead to belief that it does not happen.

Not sure what significance this is supposed to convey. Seems like this would also apply to the belief in exisitence of unicorns, the FSM, etc.; the beliefs of all spiritual traditions, etc. In short, every belief. That said, why say anything at all?

Moves
27 Apr 11

Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
[b]No, I don't, but this gives me a chance to say that absence of belief that it does happen, does not logically imply or compel or lead to belief that it does not happen.

Not sure what significance this is supposed to convey. Seems like this would also apply to the belief in exisitence of unicorns, the FSM, etc.; the beliefs of all spiritual traditions, etc. In short, every belief. That said, why say anything at all?[/b]
Sorry, I posted my reply to you instead of the OP rvsakhadeo by accident.

I take those things on a case by case basis and when asked only what I believe (and not why) I just introspect to see whether I have a belief about it and if so, what it is. Of course your mileage may vary. Sometimes I think people assume "I don't believe X is Y" means "I believe X isn't Y" but it doesn't always mean that.

Texasman

San Antonio Texas

Moves
27 Apr 11

Hindus believe that when a person dies i) his /her soul leaves the body and yet lingers on for a period of 10 days near the place of death,till a "Shraddha" ceremony is conducted which includes preparation of food items especially liked by the dead person and taking the offerings near the burning "ghat" and offering them to crows. If the crow takes the mo ...[text shortened]... is/her rebirth.
No proof that it exist....

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
27 Apr 11
2 edits

Originally posted by galveston75
No proof that it exist....
Funny you should be talking about proofs .... when the athiests give you proofs for evolution ,or some such, you usually dismiss them.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
27 Apr 11
1 edit

Originally posted by karoly aczel
Funny you should be talking about proofs .... when the athiests give you proofs for evolution ,or some such, you usually dismiss them.
Fundies have an uncanny knack for betraying the 'logic' they use to support their own religions when they have their sights set on someone elses ;]

b
Filthy sinner

Outskirts of bliss

Moves
28 Apr 11

I like the idea of being able to do it over. If you mess up this life then maybe you can get it right in another. It seems far less harsh than either you go to Heaven or Hell and thats it.
Is it true that Hindus believe that cows go straight into human incarnation upon death, and that is why they are looked upon as Holy ?

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
28 Apr 11

Originally posted by buckky
I like the idea of being able to do it over. If you mess up this life then maybe you can get it right in another. It seems far less harsh than either you go to Heaven or Hell and thats it.
Is it true that Hindus believe that cows go straight into human incarnation upon death, and that is why they are looked upon as Holy ?
Hindu religious thought consists of a jumble of concepts from the noblest ones about the Ultimate Reality to hoary and ludicrous superstitions,because it is an old religion having absorbed many cultures and sects across the subcontinent. But have not heard of cow going to heaven on death.Cow is a sacred animal much loved by Hindus.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
28 Apr 11

Originally posted by karoly aczel
For your knowledge, Karoly, the Hindu thought in these matters says that we are formed of three bodies.One body is called the Sthula Deha or the gross body. As everyone knows the gross body is made up of muscles,bones,fat,blood etc. The second body is the Sukshma Deha or the subtle body. The subtle body comprises of the bundle of "Karma"s that we carry from the current birth and the memories/impressions from the past births,if any. A thought did occur to me while typing this out that this bundle of past memories/impressions could very well be taken,as per modern scientific thinking, as the information contained in the genetic code. The third body is the Karan Deha or the Causal body which is another word for Soul. At death,the gross body is abandoned by the Subtle body and the Causal body.The Subtle body is attached to the Causal body and is carried by the the Causal body wherever it goes. It may go to heave or hell and from there the duo will come to enter a new gross body. Unless we destroy the subtle body by spiritual practices, we i.e. our Causal body,the Soul will not attain liberation.

r
rvsakhadeo

India

Moves
28 Apr 11

Originally posted by AThousandYoung
Maybe. I made a thread about it a while back.
Dr.Ian Stevenson,who is no more and Dr.Satwant Pasricha( an eminent Indian neuroscientist working in National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences,Bengaluru,India) had conducted research on these cases.Stevenson investigated 3000 cases and Dr.Pasricha 500 cases. Both of them believe that Reincarnation is a distinct [possibility. Carl Sagan and Arthur C.Clarke were intrigued by the findings and although not agreeing with Stevenson,Carl Sagan says that the cases do suggest that reincarnation cases are well worth investigating.

ka
The Axe man

Brisbane,QLD

Moves
28 Apr 11

For your knowledge, Karoly, the Hindu thought in these matters says that we are formed of three bodies.One body is called the Sthula Deha or the gross body. As everyone knows the gross body is made up of muscles,bones,fat,blood etc. The second body is the Sukshma Deha or the subtle body. The subtle body comprises of the bundle of "Karma"s that we carry f ...[text shortened]... btle body by spiritual practices, we i.e. our Causal body,the Soul will not attain liberation.
Thank you.

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
28 Apr 11

Thread 137879