1. Joined
    01 Oct '04
    Moves
    29 Aug '19 08:53
    Truth that is defined as being absolute, possesses the following qualities.

• Truth is discovered not invented
    • Truth is transcultural: it can be conveyed across different cultures.
    • Truth is unchanging: it can be conveyed across time.
    • Beliefs cannot change a truth statement no matter how sincere one may be
    • Truth is unaffected by the attitude of the one professing it
    • All Truths are absolute
    • Truth is knowable

In order for truth to be absolute and holding these qualities, it must be grounded in a source that is personal, unchanging, and sovereign over all of creation.

Which of the above bullet points would you agree or disagree with and why?

https://evidenceandanswers.org/article/truth-absolute-or-relative/
  2. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    29 Aug '19 09:08
    @dj2becker said

• Truth is unaffected by the attitude of the one profess ...[text shortened]... ee or disagree with and why?

I would agree, if we are talking opinions that may vary, but truth no.
    Truth will be confirmed, not altered with new information.
  3. SubscriberSuzianne
    Misfit Queen
    Isle of Misfit Toys
    Moves
    29 Aug '19 09:461 edit
    @dj2becker said

• Truth is unaffected by the attitude of the one profess ...[text shortened]... ee or disagree with and why?

YOUR truth, or THEIR truth?

Usually, all one cares about is their own truth (calling it 'absolute' or some rubbish), and all other truth is rendered as 'not-truth' in their mind.

It's this kind of thing that leads to wars, to murder, to all kinds of evil. Because to some people, there MUST be a dichotomy in order to hold up THEIR truth as 'true', and all others as 'false'.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Aug '19 10:05
    @kellyjay said
    I would agree, if we are talking opinions that may vary, but truth no.
    Truth will be confirmed, not altered with new information.
    When it comes to moral compasses, the source of the stances we take are unique permutations of nature and nurture. The effect it has on our actions and how we perceive ourselves and others is the realm of subjectivity.
  5. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    29 Aug '19 10:06
    @suzianne said

Usually, all one cares about is their own truth (calling it 'absolute' or some rubbish), and all other truth is rendered as 'not-truth' in their mind.

It's this kind of thing that leads to wars, to murder, to all kinds of evil. Because to some people, there MUST be a dichotomy in order to hold up THEIR truth as 'true', and all others as 'false'.
    We can have opinions, but we cannot alter real truth by them.
    If truth is dependent on us, it isn't an absolute, if we are held to it regardless it is.
  6. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    29 Aug '19 10:27
    @kellyjay said
    If truth is dependent on us, it isn't an absolute, if we are held to it regardless it is.
    Of course, everyone's own opinion happens to align with this 'real truth.' (In their own eyes at least).

Funny that.
  7. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Aug '19 11:25
    @kellyjay said
    But our moral compasses are dependent on us. Each person's compass is unique. You can use your one to help you perceive mine and then decide what your opinion is. And I can use mine to do the same to yours. You characterizing your opinion as "absolute truth" is just hyperbole and maybe even self-aggrandizement.
  8. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    29 Aug '19 11:39
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Of course, everyone's own opinion happens to align with this 'real truth.' (In their own eyes at least).

Funny that.
    That shows some are quite taken in by themselves more than it does anything else don’t you think? I find it also telling these discussions get personal fast, as if truth can be found by going after people instead of what is being discussed, motivation mongering.
  9. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    29 Aug '19 11:471 edit
    @suzianne said

God's truth.

Did you lose track of that? Have you never learned that God is immutable and infallible?

Certainly you don't believe man is immutable and infallible do you?

Do you think God's Truth is unknowable?
  10. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    29 Aug '19 11:51
    @ghost-of-a-duke said

Funny that.
    If there is no God that communicates His immutable and infallible will to man, then that is very funny.
  11. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    29 Aug '19 12:04
    @fmf said
    But our moral compasses are dependent on us. Each person's compass is unique. You can use your one to help you perceive mine and then decide what your opinion is. And I can use mine to do the same to yours. You characterizing your opinion as "absolute truth" is just hyperbole and maybe even self-aggrandizement.
    "Each person's compass is unique."

But only when it points toward the truth.

You may argue that "truth" is relative, but that would only be your opinion because by thinking truth is relative you render it subject to the vagaries of opinions, which in turn renders your opinion obsolete and without merit.

It may be your opinion that gravity doesn't exist, but if you stepped off the roof of a ten story building you'd learn real fast that gravity isn't subject to your opinion. (That's a rhetorical statement)
  12. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Aug '19 12:12
    @secondson said
    "Each person's compass is unique."

But only when it points toward the truth.
    Nonsense. Every person's moral compass is unique regardless of where it points.
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Aug '19 12:13
    @secondson said
    It may be your opinion that gravity doesn't exist, but if you stepped off the roof of a ten story building you'd learn real fast that gravity isn't subject to your opinion.
    Morality is subjective. Gravity isn't.
  14. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Aug '19 12:16
    @secondson said
    You may argue that "truth" is relative, but that would only be your opinion because by thinking truth is relative you render it subject to the vagaries of opinions, which in turn renders your opinion obsolete and without merit.
    How much merit you think my opinions have on matters of spirituality and morality etc. and how much merit I think your opinions have is all squarely in the realm of subjectivity.
  15. Standard memberSecondSon
    Sinner
    Saved by grace
    Moves
    29 Aug '19 12:52
    @fmf said
    Nonsense. Every person's moral compass is unique regardless of where it points.
    I didn't say every person's moral compass wasn't unique.

If every person's unique moral compass points in every which direction relative to truth, then where's the truth?

I bet you can't answer that truthfully.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree