Truth- Absolute or Relative?

Truth- Absolute or Relative?

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F

Moves
29 Aug 19

@secondson said
If every person's unique moral compass points in every which direction relative to truth, then where's the truth?
What "the truth" is ~ when it comes to the guidance our moral compasses give us ~ varies from person to person. If one's notions about moral truths get out of step with the norms and values of the community around you, and you act upon those notions, then you will be punished - and perhaps severely if the 'disagreements about moral truth' are big enough and have dire enough consequences.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
29 Aug 19

@fmf said
How much merit you think my opinions have on matters of spirituality and morality etc. and how much merit I think your opinions have is all squarely in the realm of subjectivity.
Exactly!

Opinions are based in subjectivity. Truth, by its very nature, is objective.

Subjective truth is relative to an opinion, such as what may be a person's favorite color, but objective truth is not subject to opinion.

People change opinions, but truth is objective in that it is immutable.

It is only your subjective opinion that immutable truth doesn't exist.

F

Moves
29 Aug 19

@secondson said
I didn't say every person's moral compass wasn't unique.
Yes you did.

I said Each person's compass is unique.

You said But only when it points toward the truth.

Perhaps you don't know what "unique" means.

F

Moves
29 Aug 19

@secondson said
Opinions are based in subjectivity. Truth, by its very nature, is objective.

Subjective truth is relative to an opinion, such as what may be a person's favorite color, but objective truth is not subject to opinion.

People change opinions, but truth is objective in that it is immutable.

Your personal opinions about things about supernatural causality and morality are all subjective.

It is meaningless for you to refer to your opinions about such things as "objective" or "immutable" or "absolute truth".

All you are doing is trying to big up the "universality" of your opinions.

F

Moves
29 Aug 19

@secondson said
Slapping the "immutable truth" label onto the answers you've settled for ~ having speculated about unprovable supernatural things ~ is an entirely subjective act on your part.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
29 Aug 19

@fmf said
What "the truth" is ~ when it comes to the guidance our moral compasses give us ~ varies from person to person. If one's notions about moral truths get out of step with the norms and values of the community around you, and you act upon those notions, then you will be punished - and perhaps severely if the 'disagreements about moral truth' are big enough and have dire enough consequences.
That's your subjective opinion.

There is "that truth" which is immutable and inviolable that effects everyone the same regardless of their opinions. Like gravity for example.

If what you call "the truth" is subject to change based on the collective "norms and values" and the subjective opinions of "the community", then that "truth" isn't "the truth" which is immutable.

F

Moves
29 Aug 19

@secondson said
That's your subjective opinion.
All we are doing is exchanging our subjective opinions about supernatural matters and morality.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
29 Aug 19

@fmf said
Slapping the "immutable truth" label onto the answers you've settled for ~ having speculated about unprovable supernatural things ~ is an entirely subjective act on your part.
You're starting to get shrill again.

If you want to deny the existence of "immutable truth", then have at it.

F

Moves
29 Aug 19

@secondson said
There is "that truth" which is immutable and inviolable that effects everyone the same regardless of their opinions. Like gravity for example.
We are not discussing "gravity". You can refer to your personal opinions about spiritual and moral matter as "objective" or "immutable" or "absolute truth" or "inviolable" until you are blue in the face, they are still your personal opinions and your attempts to garnish them with intensifier adjectives is your subjectivity at work.

F

Moves
29 Aug 19

@secondson said
You're starting to get shrill again.
No, you are mistaken.

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
29 Aug 19

@fmf said
All we are doing is exchanging our subjective opinions about supernatural matters and morality.
No, that's what you're doing by your own admission. You believe that truth is subjective. Fine. It is, relative to subjective opinion, but I believe there is truth that is immutable.

Can you prove there's no such thing? I'd like to see that!

F

Moves
29 Aug 19
1 edit

@secondson said
No, that's what you're doing by your own admission. You believe that truth is subjective. Fine. It is, relative to subjective opinion, but I believe there is truth that is immutable.
I know you believe that. So what? It doesn't alter the credibility or objectivity of what you believe about spiritual and moral matters [that you happen to believe are "true"] by you attaching labels to them like "immutable".

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
29 Aug 19

@fmf said
No, you are mistaken.
Yes you are. It's what you do when the discussion gets beyond your natural abilities to digest.

You become shrill and begin making your redundant declarations about what you don't believe, and start slurring the things I say you can't refute, by innuendo and negative comments.

I'm only simply trying to have an objective discussion about the nature and attributes of what is labeled "truth".

Is there something wrong with that?

Sinner

Saved by grace

Moves
29 Aug 19

@fmf said
I know you believe that. So what? It doesn't alter the credibility or objectivity of what you believe about spiritual and moral matters [that you happen to believe are "true"] by you attaching labels to them like "immutable".
Can you prove that there's no such thing as "immutable truth"?

If you can, then you'd better be prepared to discover an immutable truth that proves there's no such thing as objective truth.

Get my point?

F

Moves
29 Aug 19

@secondson said
Yes you are. It's what you do when the discussion gets beyond your natural abilities to digest.
Nope. I am posting normally, cheerfully, succinctly. It is you who is misjudging the moment.