1. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '09 19:10
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    I wrote concerning "history proves":

[b]It is a rare sentence beginning with those two words that fails to lie or perpetrate ignorance.

"History teaches ..." is no different.

The lessons of history are never so secure, and it demeans history to pretend that they are.[/b]
    I don't understand what you're saing?
    Do you believe that the future can be foretold? (Other than a extrapolation or by statistical means?) Or not?
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    02 Oct '09 20:33
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I don't understand what you're saing?
    Do you believe that the future can be foretold? (Other than a extrapolation or by statistical means?) Or not?
    I think that sentences beginning "history proves/shows/teaches/demonstrates..." are always lies--sometimes deliberate efforts to deceive, sometimes consequences of self-deception or ignorance--always false.

Nostradamus foretold the future in which we live. His method was simple: be vague so that interpretations can fit new facts to old metaphors. The deployment of imprecise metaphors and other tropes served the OT prophets well, too.
  3. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    02 Oct '09 22:09
    I think that sentences beginning "history proves/shows/teaches/demonstrates..." are [b]always lies--sometimes deliberate efforts to deceive, sometimes consequences of self-deception or ignorance--always false.

Nostradamus foretold the future in which we live. His method was simple: be vague so that interpretations can fit new facts to old metaphors. The deployment of imprecise metaphors and other tropes served the OT prophets well, too.[/b]
    Right. Okay, now I understand you.
  4. weedhopper
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 00:481 edit
    Lol. Yes, I thought the question was probably substantive, even though it was a bit off point.

I'm not Jewish, but sometimes write the name of the Creator as g-d out of respect for those that are. Mahao is another name, as is Allah. They all name the same mythical being.

"for a change"--that's funny!
    There may yet be hope for you; you may learn the art of humility, if not courtesy...one day.

There is no law I know of that requires every question to be "on point", and certainly no law that allows you to decide what is and what isn't.
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    04 Oct '09 13:001 edit
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    There may yet be hope for you; you may learn the art of humility, if not courtesy...one day.

There is no law I know of that requires every question to be "on point", and certainly no law that allows you to decide what is and what isn't.
    The absence of law to which you refer nevertheless has a name: courtesy.

Changing the subject can be rude.
  6. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 15:50
    Originally posted by 667joe
    Just because the bible says it, why is it true?
    Because It's God's Word.
  7. Maryland
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 15:52
    Did you actually hear god say it?
  8. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 15:53
    Did you actually hear god say it?
    No but the writer's did.
  9. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 16:02
    Originally posted by daniel58
    No but the writer's did.
    It's funny, then, that only a few prophets admitted to hearing voices, voices they usually attributed to an angel.
  10. Maryland
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 16:02
    No but the writer's did.
    How do you know they didn't make it up or where perhaps schizophrenic?
  11. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 16:15
    How do you know they didn't make it up or where perhaps schizophrenic?
    How do I know that you're really human and not a bot?
  12. Maryland
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 16:40
    How do I know that you're really human and not a bot?
    Just as with the bible (the book of fairy tales) you don't know do you?
  13. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 18:19
    Just as with the bible (the book of fairy tales) you don't know do you?
    So how do we know anything?
  14. Maryland
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 19:29
    So how do we know anything?
    It's called science. Some one does an experiment or makes an observation. If it's true, other people will be able to repeat the experiment or observation with the same result. No one has been able ato live in the belly of a whale, have a virgin birth, or be resurrected from the truly dead, or prove there is a god. When some one does those things I will would like to see sit.
  15. Joined
    17 Jun '09
    Moves
    05 Oct '09 19:41
    It's called science. Some one does an experiment or makes an observation. If it's true, other people will be able to repeat the experiment or observation with the same result. No one has been able ato live in the belly of a whale, have a virgin birth, or be resurrected from the truly dead, or prove there is a god. When some one does those things I will would like to see sit.
    Okay so unless you PERSONALLY did those things you don't have to believe them because they could just be lying?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree