1. Maryland
    Moves
    26 Sep '09 23:40
    The Origin Of The Species and the bible both make statements, but Darwin's book provides proof whereas the bible uses ephemeral appeals to only hope and fear. Rationality requires going with the facts.
  2. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 Sep '09 00:20
    Originally posted by 667joe
    The Origin Of The Species and the bible both make statements, but Darwin's book provides proof whereas the bible uses ephemeral appeals to only hope and fear. Rationality requires going with the facts.
    Fact- God created.

Fact- Jesus died on the cross and rose from the dead.

The Bible is full of facts. It's all true.

Fact- Darwin is dead.

Fact- Evolution is a theory of human invention.
  3. Maryland
    Moves
    27 Sep '09 01:30
    Just because the bible says it, why is it true?
  4. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 Sep '09 09:47
    Just because the bible says it, why is it true?
    Why is anything true just because someone or something says it's true?

Why pursue truth if truth doesn't exist?

If truth does exist, what is it?

Is it true that conscientiousness of our existence is temporal and ceases at death?

Or, is it true that we will have conscientiousness of our existence after physical death?

One thing for sure. One can choose to believe in atheism or God.

Atheism says you'll die and cease to exist. The Bible says you can live forever. (On God's terms)

Do you want to die or live forever?
  5. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    27 Sep '09 10:071 edit
    Originally posted by josephw
    Is it true that conscientiousness of our existence is temporal and ceases at death?
    Or, is it true that we will have conscientiousness of our existence after physical death?
    One thing for sure. One ca The Bible says you can live forever. (On God's terms)
    I rather believe in things that are confirmed by observations. I don't believe in things only because som book says so, or some preacher says so.

We have to distinguish religion from Science, and vice versa. Religion and science cannot ever mix.
  6. Maryland
    Moves
    27 Sep '09 11:04
    Fact- God created.

Fact- Darwin is dead.

The koran has the same authority as the bible (or for that matter, any book of fairy tales, which is to day none. A decent god would certainly not kill his only son to set an example of love worth emulating. A decent god would have been bright enough to figure out a kinder way to get the job done. I f god would kill his only son whom he loved, what do you think he will do to you? I want no part of such a bastard!
  7. Maryland
    Moves
    27 Sep '09 11:12
    Fact- God created.

Fact- Darwin is dead.

Prove that Jesus was rose from the dead. He might have come back from the near dead as part of a grand hoax, but I can say with confidence that he did not come back from the dead. To come back from the dead is impossible by definition. It's never happened. You had better make the most of the life you have now because you are not going to have another one in spite of your fairy tale aspirations!
  8. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 Sep '09 13:01
    The koran has the same authority as the bible (or for that matter, any book of fairy tales, which is to day none. A decent god would certainly not kill his only son to set an example of love worth emulating. A decent god would have been bright enough to figure out a kinder way to get the job done. I f god would kill his only son whom he loved, what do you think he will do to you? I want no part of such a bastard!
    You should have been God.
  9. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 Sep '09 13:04
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    I rather believe in things that are confirmed by observations. I don't believe in things only because som book says so, or some preacher says so.

We have to distinguish religion from Science, and vice versa. Religion and science cannot ever mix.
    I think you and 667joe should fight over which one of you should be God.
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    27 Sep '09 13:04

One thing for sure. One ca ...[text shortened]... The Bible says you can live forever. (On God's terms)

Truth is not determined by what you want.
  11. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    27 Sep '09 15:23
    The Bible is a true account of a peoples' search for g-d. The Origin of Species weighs the implications of evidence that points to natural selection. The two do not address the same topics, and have nothing to say to one another.

The Bible is a local book that has been mistaken for universal. The Origin of Species postulates a theory that has become a foundation of modern science. One of these books merits global significance; the other has been overrated in its application to climes and cultures where its truths sometimes prove false.
  12. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    27 Sep '09 22:16
    Originally posted by rwingett
    Truth is not determined by what you want.
    Truth is determined by what you want it to be, right?
  13. weedhopper
    Moves
    27 Sep '09 23:00
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    The Bible is a true account of a peoples' search for g-d. The Origin of Species weighs the implications of evidence that points to natural selection. The two do not address the same topics, and have nothing to say to one another.

The Bible is a local book that has been mistaken for universal. The Origin of Species postulates a ...[text shortened]... een overrated in its application to climes and cultures where its truths sometimes prove false.
    what is this g-d stuff.....do you have an aversion to vowels?
  14. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Sep '09 00:413 edits
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    [b]I rather believe in things that are confirmed by observations. I don't believe in things only because som book says so, or some preacher says so.
    Not so fast. Did Christ not provide us with empirical evidence? After all, has it not been shown empirically that to walk in love with other people is a "good" thing to do? In fact, I think the empirical evidence shows this to be a wise way to live. In fact, many embrace the teachings of Christ, like Thomas Jefferson, but rejected the aspect of his teachings which they felt they could not verify empirically such as etermal life through his death on the cross and the existence of God etc. You could even say that pretty every religion on the globe embraces the teachings of Christ in some form or another. So what does that tell you about the man? You also have empirical evidence such as the prophesies that foretold of his coming and the details of his coming. Heck, Daniel even laid out a calendar for his coming in Daniel 9:24-27 that pointed right to the time of Christ hundreds of years later, yet, we are suppose to swallow the notion that we have no empirical evidence for the truth behind the man?
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    28 Sep '09 05:33
    I think you and 667joe should fight over which one of you should be God.
    You can worship the two of us, we are not competitors.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree