1. Standard memberKellyJay
    Walk your Faith
    USA
    Moves
    08 May '09 16:57
    Originally posted by FMF
    Indeed, I made a hash of my response to whodey late last night.

I split the query into two parts: (1) As an entrepreneur is she acting within her rights? and (2) As a Christian is she acting within her rights? which bleached it of my intended meaning. What I meant was:

As a Christian entrepreneur is she acting within her rights?

The combination is rat ...[text shortened]... believer. My question was aimed at whodey who might be described as a Wajoma-ist-with-Faith...
    Being a Pentacostal does not seem to have anything to do with your story
    as much as being stupid in business and disloyal to people who worked
    for her.
    Kelly
  2. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    08 May '09 22:05
    Originally posted by FMF
    My local cafe is now teetering on the edge of closure after its owner fell into the hands of Pentacostals and lost all ability to manage the business.

Presumably no one here is going to defend Pentacostalism, right?
    Im gonna need you to provide some proof this happened,hard evidence please,so i can give a response. need links or something proving these were pentacostals,and hard evidence this local cafe is on the brink of closure.bank statements, tax records,you know. should not be too hard to come up with. Also, proof of this cafe. try posting the menu. thanks
  3. Joined
    06 Mar '09
    Moves
    09 May '09 00:47
    There's always scope for people to have a go at Christian denominations, but if it was looked into you'd probably find some other influence behind it all which is not of God...but God gets the blame anyway. I don't go to a Pentacostal church but I know some people who do and they are loving and generous folks, who seem to have made a success in their professions too without freaking out the people around them. So i guess its best not to generalise and stereotype everyone who claims to be a Pentacostal as a misguided cultist.
  4. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 May '09 02:261 edit
    Originally posted by KellyJay
    Being a Pentacostal does not seem to have anything to do with your story
    Then you mustn't have read the story. This woman is filled with religious fervour - a new thing in her life that has resulted from her being inducted into Pentacostalism. She "speaks in tongues" every day, prays ostentatiously and in a way that is clearly an imposition on others in the vicinity, and she cites Jesus/God/Holy Spirit whenever she announces a decision. None of this happened before she joined the sect/cult/denomination (she was a rather undemonstrative Catholic before). Clearly it DOES have something to do with her 'new' faith. Clearly you cannot pin ALL of this on Pentacostalism. Clearly you cannot simply absolve Pentacostalism - a denomination that seems to give rise to countless stories like this.
  5. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 May '09 02:361 edit
    Originally posted by Barnacles
    There's always scope for people to have a go at Christian denominations, but if it was looked into you'd probably find some other influence behind it all which is not of God...but God gets the blame anyway.
    Well, I clearly stated that I thought there were "...some other influence[s] behind it all which is not of God...", didn't you read what I wrote?

Good heavens! Where did I "blame God"? You could hardly have got a wronger end of the stick!

Here's a pertinent question: when we see the ugly face of something - in this case exuberant, arrogant, presumptious, intoxicating, destructive Pentacostalism - can we just dismiss it by saying, well, now that isn't real Pentacostalism? Can we make the ugly reality of something disappear, by simply unhooking it from its cause, and playing with definitions.

The tragedy at Laba Laba Cafe, is clearly - in part - a problem with the cult-like aspects of Pentacostalists. Both you and Kelly seem to want to define Pentacostalism in a narrow way - and in so doing detach it from reality - and then say 'that isn't like Pentacostalism because Pentacostalism isn't like that'.
  6. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    09 May '09 05:07
    Originally posted by FMF
    WARNING: soap-opera-esque post follows

Hold onto your hats for a modest tale of small town tragedy in a far off land that could be anywhere. The Indonesian wife-of-an-Italian-white-guy "owner" of a local bar & cafe (called Laba-Laba or "spider" ) returned in January, leaving a one year old baby - who'd not yet taken first steps or uttered a first word - behin ...[text shortened]...

Anyone think I am getting this all wrong?
    this is all hear say. were supposed to take your word for it? nothing personal against you but this tale is quite fantastic w/pentacostals being the assumed root cause.you refer to pentacostals as a cult more than once. could you give your definition of a cult please? Pentacostals have become quite mainstream here in the S.E. USA and I have not heard of them being referred to as a cult before. for the record i am not a pentacostal.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 May '09 05:40
    The pentacostals, is it those who know many languages?
  8. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    09 May '09 06:01
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    The pentacostals, is it those who know many languages?
    well,they believe in what they call baptism of the holy spirit. this is after the "born-again" experience. they believe after this "baptism" you receive spiritual gifts such as "speaking in tongues",prophecy , interpretation,healing, etc.the" tongues" is the sure sign you recieved the holy spirit they believe.not nessacery for salvation but a added perk. they believe this is all scriptural (through their interpretation)and for today.they would be considered Holy Rollers.the past few decades they have gained more acceptance and become more main stream. Jimmy Swaggert is a prime example of a Pentacostal
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 May '09 06:17
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    this is all hear say. were supposed to take your word for it?
    You are under no obligation to participate in this thread.
  10. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    09 May '09 06:53
    Originally posted by FMF
    You are under no obligation to participate in this thread.
    no i dont but i have every right too as you do in the threads I post. you demand I come up w/numerous sources of info to back my claims and I am asking you to do the same.
  11. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 May '09 07:021 edit
    Originally posted by utherpendragon
    no i dont but i have every right too as you do in the threads I post. you demand I come up w/numerous sources of info to back my claims and I am asking you to do the same.
    I have told a personal story about close friends of mine. People in deep trouble, all of them. If you want to turn it into some kind of opportunity to be an unfunny and cantankerous 'bully', I am not going to rise to it.

As I said, there is no obligation whatsoever for you to contribute to this thread. If you suspect I am lying then just say so and leave it at that. I am not going to get drawn into a discussion with you about the fact that you suspect I am lying.
  12. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    09 May '09 07:15
    Has this local religious group had a similar effect on other people in the area?
  13. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    09 May '09 07:17
    The Pentacostals, are they considered fundamentalists?
    Are they creationists, like believing that the universe only is 6k years, and created in 6 days?
  14. Hy-Brasil
    Moves
    09 May '09 07:18
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    The Pentacostals, are they considered fundamentalists?
    Are they creationists, like believing that the universe only is 6k years, and created in 6 days?
    you are correct
  15. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    09 May '09 07:203 edits
    Originally posted by divegeester
    Has this local religious group had a similar effect on other people in the area?
    The owner, a Javanese woman, is very actively trying to recruit other Christians - both Protestants and Catholics - to her local church. I was chatting to one of them last night. He wasn't so aware of all the details of what's going on in the cafe. Without prompting, he talked about how her two 'minders' from a different city, gave him the creeps. They are indeed, seemingly unable to hold any kind of conversation whatsoever which isn't about their own faith. In a chat about the English soccer, they will blurt out something incredibly hyperbolic about Jesus or the Holy Spirit and then stare you in the eye throughout the ensuing painful silence. Ostensibly they are the cafe's "managers". Extremely odd people. It does appear as if a "group" is being set up. The Catholic barmaid is now being subjected to what I would describe as 'constructive dismissal' tactics having declined to join the cringeworthy public "speaking in tongues" sessions.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree