1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Mar '19 16:181 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    In your own words, 'Please explain why a perfect deity would put forward an imperfect remedy?'

Edit: Okay, just read your edit.
    To say that the God of the Bible is pro-slavery is absurd considering he sent Moses to free people from about 500 years of slavery.

Likewise, to say that God is pro-murder, war crimes, is equally absurd considering to how he handled Cain.
  2. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Mar '19 16:25
    @Ghost-of-a-Duke

Please explain why a perfect deity would put forward an imperfect remedy? I have asked you this previously and am still awaiting a satisfactory reply.

The short answer is that the law of God does not go to the ROOT of man's problem. The root of man's problem cannot be solved by the law of Moses.

The law is useful to:

1.) Expose that the proud humankind HAS a problem. We think we're not too bad.

2.) Place among its instructions symbols pointing to the redemption of Christ for all of mankind. That is in offerings and sacrifices for sins.

3.) Give us a portrait of God before His incarnation as a man in Jesus Christ.
    He is a God of illuminating the conscience, faithfulness, righteousness, love, purity. The law gives us a portrait of what God's character is like.

4.) The law sees to it that no one can boast of being a perfect woman or perfect man. All are left guilty. Every mouth in the world is shut. We all have come up short against God's standard.

You are right that it is not a perfect solution.

God's original purpose was not to slap a law down on human beings but to live in them in a mingled and incorporated way. God and man united "organically" - blended together.

The very first man created was not sinful. He was innocent.
    He was not bad. He was made very good in fact.
    He was neutral and innocent.

But since he of his will moved from that station to one of being in opposition from God, all his descendants have been affected and all united instead to an opposition party against God.

No one taught me this. These are my own words. I often explain to people this way:

God created man and established a relationship. God warned man: "I have created you and established a relationship with you. You are free to have it. But you are free to destroy it.

Understand that if you destroy it, you cannot fix it. If you choose to destroy it, I, God, have to come in to fix the problem."

That's the story of the fall and salvation of God for man in a little nutshell.
    But even to FIX the situation God has to FIRST prove to the proud man that there IS now a problem. You see, man things its not too bad and he can with some effort get things right again.

"If you destroy this relationship of your choosing to do so, I will have to come in to fix things. You will not be able to do it."
  3. SubscriberGhost of a Duke
    Resident of Planet X
    The Ghost Chamber
    Moves
    15 Mar '19 16:31
    @whodey said
    To say that the God of the Bible is pro-slavery is absurd considering he sent Moses to free people from about 500 years of slavery.

Likewise, to say that God is pro-murder, war crimes, is equally absurd considering to how he handled Cain.
    Yep, but we weren't discussing slavery or murder. We were discussing specifically sonship's previous statement that having a victim marry her rapist was a divine remedy. (All be it, not a perfect remedy).

Any comment on that?
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    15 Mar '19 16:561 edit
    @ghost-of-a-duke said
    Yep, but we weren't discussing slavery or murder. We were discussing specifically sonship's previous statement that having a victim marry her rapist was a divine remedy. (All be it, not a perfect remedy).

Any comment on that?
    Women had no power in those days. Their only power was via the particular tribe they were apart of which eventually came down to who they were married.

Women who were not "virgins" were looked down upon and often bypassed as prospective wives, which then meant they were going to have a hard life.

Well before all of this before the Hebrew nation even existed, Jacob's sons had a sister who was raped but they by no means had her marry the person in question. In fact, they murdered the attacker along with their entire village.

Was this a good thing?
  5. R
    Standard memberRemoved
    Moves
    15 Mar '19 19:50
    @whodey

Women who were not "virgins" were looked down upon and often bypassed as prospective wives, which then meant they were going to have a hard life.

Say what ?
    You must mean until they grow up some more?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree