We are all Atheists

We are all Atheists

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maryland

Moves
21 Mar 10

I contend we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. - Stephen Henry Roberts

rc

Moves
21 Mar 10

Originally posted by 667joe
I contend we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. - Stephen Henry Roberts
heard it before!

Moves
21 Mar 10

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
heard it before!
I bet you had a brilliant riposte back then too...🙂

rc

Moves
22 Mar 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Lord Shark
I bet you had a brilliant riposte back then too...🙂
heard this as well. . . . .is there nothing new under the sun?

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
22 Mar 10

Originally posted by 667joe
Moronic. In fact it may be the dumbest quote I ever read.

Cape Town

Moves
22 Mar 10

Originally posted by josephw
Moronic. In fact it may be the dumbest quote I ever read.
Why? It seems perfectly sensible to me. What am I missing?

Moves
22 Mar 10

. . . .is there nothing new under the sun?
Never heard that one before..🙂

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
22 Mar 10
1 edit

Originally posted by twhitehead
The underlying message is fine...the word "atheists" is a problem.

Cape Town

Moves
22 Mar 10

Originally posted by Agerg
The underlying message is fine...the word "atheists" is a problem.
Why is it a problem? I think that in the context it clearly means "not believing in a given god".

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
23 Mar 10
2 edits

Why is it a problem? I think that in the context it clearly means "not believing in a given god".
I argue "not believing in a given god" is to a definition of "atheism" what "its a number" is to a definition of "pi". I think it is, at the very least, a slightly stronger statement suggesting disbelief in any of a collection of given gods (a blurry line exists between agnostic and atheist). and so negating "one is an atheist" would be "one is not an atheist", to which I'd argue

one does not disbelieve in all gods from a given collection.

This would suggest belief in at least one god (which seems to encapsulate the notion of being religious).

Owner

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
24 Mar 10

I contend we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do.

How can he contend that "we both" are atheist, and then say he believes in one fewer god than the other?

If the one believes in a god, then that one isn't an atheist. So therefore, how can they both be atheists?

Cape Town

Moves
24 Mar 10

I argue "not believing in a given god" is to a definition of "atheism" what "its a number" is to a definition of "pi". I think it is, at the very least, a slightly stronger statement suggesting disbelief in any of a [b]collection of given gods (a blurry line exists between agnostic and atheist). and so negating "one is an atheist" would be "one is not an a ...[text shortened]... ief in at least one god (which seems to encapsulate the notion of being religious).[/b]
And I think it is quite clear from the quote that his meaning in the context is "we both do not believe in many gods, I just do not believe in on more than you". I think his point is a good one, and that the use of the word 'atheist' works very well.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
24 Mar 10
1 edit

And I think it is quite clear from the quote that his meaning in the context is "we both do not believe in many gods, I just do not believe in on more than you". I think his point is a good one, and that the use of the word 'atheist' works very well.
His point is indeed a good one, but I don't think it is clear that in any context "atheist" means disbelief in one god or even 'many'.
Indeed if we hold that to be true then it completely trivialises the notion of atheism because it is always true that for any number of gods you suggest, Such a collection can be cooked up so that a person doesn't believe in them.

Cape Town

Moves
24 Mar 10

His point is indeed a good one, but I don't think it is clear that in any context "atheist" means disbelief in one god or even 'many'.
Indeed if we hold that to be true then it completely trivialises the notion of atheism because it is always true that for [b]any
number of gods you suggest, Such a collection can be cooked up so that a person doesn't believe in them.[/b]
I do not see how it 'completely trivialises the notion of atheism'. If anything, it highlights the reasons why some of us are atheist. That was his point.

A
The 'edit'or

converging to it

Moves
24 Mar 10
1 edit

I do not see how it 'completely trivialises the notion of atheism'. If anything, it highlights the reasons why some of us are atheist. That was his point.
What he says highlights the reason why we are atheists of course, I'm not challenging that.
But to use your definition of "atheism" is throwing away the very thing that encapsulates the position we (I presume) all share; that is...disbelief in any gods that are so far known to us; not just a sub-collection of them.