1. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 11:05
    Originally posted by Agerg
    What he says highlights the reason why we are atheists of course, I'm not challenging that.
    But to use your definition of "atheism" is throwing away the very thing that encapsulates the position we (I presume) all share; that is...disbelief in [b]any
    gods that are so far known to us; not just a sub-collection of them.[/b]
    I think the quote only makes sense if a new definition of atheism is used in the preamble.

Most of us think (I assume) that atheism denotes a lack of belief in the existence of any of the members of the set of putative gods, let's call the set G. So the general term 'atheist' means somebody who does not believe in g1, g2, g3,.....

Now we introduce the notion that somebody can be an atheist with respect to a specific element of the set, so to say that somebody is an atheist with respect to g3 means that they do not believe in the existence of g3.

According to this use of the term, it makes sense to say that Jones is an atheist with respect to Thor, or Jones is an atheist about Poseidon.

In that context, the quote makes sense.
  2. Standard memberAgerg
    The 'edit'or
    converging to it
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 13:46
    Originally posted by Lord Shark
    I think the quote only makes sense if a new definition of atheism is used in the preamble.

Most of us think (I assume) that atheism denotes a lack of belief in the existence of any of the members of the set of putative gods, let's call the set G. So the general term 'atheist' means somebody who does not believe in g1, g2, g3,.....

Now we introduce t ...[text shortened]... ct to Thor, or Jones is an atheist about Poseidon.

I agree 🙂
  3. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 20:23
    Originally posted by 667joe
    I contend we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours. - Stephen Henry Roberts
    that doesn't make sense. kinda like saying we are all murderers but some of us have 0 murders to brag about
  4. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 21:51
    Originally posted by Zahlanzi
    that doesn't make sense. kinda like saying we are all murderers but some of us have 0 murders to brag about
    No, more like saying that all of us have chosen not to kill, even murderers.
  5. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 08:25
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    No, more like saying that all of us have chosen not to kill, even murderers.
    then they aren't murderers
    still doesn't make sense
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 09:08
    then they aren't murderers
    still doesn't make sense
    FAIL
  7. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 18:36
    Originally posted by Palynka
    FAIL
    somehow, a fail from the village idiot isn't so offending as one would think. maybe because i am so darn insensitive
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 18:401 edit
    somehow, a fail from the village idiot isn't so offending as one would think. maybe because i am so darn insensitive
    You're like the student who looks at a blackboard with complicated formulas and finds it hard to believe there is actually meaning in there.

Except that the formulas are simple.
  9. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 19:09
    Originally posted by Palynka
    You're like the student who looks at a blackboard with complicated formulas and finds it hard to believe there is actually meaning in there.

Except that the formulas are simple.
    sure bonzo, whatever you say.

that must mean you are the genius that refuses to think
  10. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 19:211 edit
    sure bonzo, whatever you say.

that must mean you are the genius that refuses to think
    Did you understand ATY's point or not yet?

Tic...toc...tic...toc...
  11. Cape Town
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 19:321 edit
    Originally posted by Lord Shark
    And that is quite obviously the context in which he uses it, and more or less explains it in sentences 2 and 3. I fail to see why it should be in the preamble. The whole point is to shock you with sentence 1, then point out later what he is saying.
    I certainly don't see why it should be labeled moronic nor why anyone should 'have a problem' with the word athiest. It is quite clear by the time you have read all three rather short sentences what is intended without the need for a preamble.
  12. Joined
    30 May '09
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 00:09
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    And that is quite obviously the context in which he uses it, and more or less explains it in sentences 2 and 3. I fail to see why it should be in the preamble. The whole point is to shock you with sentence 1, then point out later what he is saying.
    I certainly don't see why it should be labeled moronic nor why anyone should 'have a problem' with the word ...[text shortened]... have read all three rather short sentences what is intended without the need for a preamble.
    I think what is obvious is observer-relative.

You inferred what I called the preamble from the text. Whup-de-do.
  13. Joined
    04 Feb '05
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 08:46
    Originally posted by twhitehead
    I certainly don't see why it should be labeled moronic nor why anyone should 'have a problem' with the word ...[text shortened]... have read all three rather short sentences what is intended without the need for a preamble.
    what i have a problem with is the use of the words

yes, you can define atheist as a christian that believes in 1 less god. and yes you can define christian as an atheist that believes in one more god. do you not see the contradiction yet?

will we define ourselves by what we do not do? if so, then my sentence does indeed make sense, we are all murderers but some didn't commit any murders. but what use does such a language have? Hi, i am a murderer that hadn't committed a murder and a thief that hadn't stolen, i am also an atheist that believes in Allah and his prophet Mohamed and i am a retired 60 year old woman with XY sex chromosomes that hadn't retired yet and didn't turn 60 yet. Seems an odd way to communicate, hmm?
  14. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 08:51
    what i have a problem with is the use of the words

yes, you can define atheist as a christian that believes in 1 less god. and yes you can define christian as an atheist that believes in one more god. do you not see the contradiction yet?

will we define ourselves by what we do not do? if so, then my sentence does indeed make sense, we are all murdere ...[text shortened]... somes that hadn't retired yet and didn't turn 60 yet. Seems an odd way to communicate, hmm?
    "Hi,I practice incest, since we are all derived from the same ancestor(s)...) 🙂
  15. Subscriberjosephw
    Owner
    Scoffer Mocker
    Moves
    26 Mar '10 10:37
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    "Hi,I practice incest, since we are all derived from the same ancestor(s)...) 🙂
    With which relative? Fornication is fornication. Or is it sodomy?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree