We know nothing

We know nothing

Spirituality

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
19 Feb 17

If the only thing I know is that I know nothing, do I know something?

Fighting for men’s

right to have babies

Moves
19 Feb 17

Originally posted by wolfgang59
Is it is universal nothing, or a relative nothing?

Garbage disposal

Garbage dump

Moves
19 Feb 17

Originally posted by divegeester
Is it is universal nothing, or a relative nothing?
You are finally catching on. 😏

Cape Town

Moves
19 Feb 17
1 edit

You cannot know that you know nothing. You can think you know nothing, but that is not knowledge, that is belief. (false belief. Knowledge is true belief).

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
19 Feb 17

Yes. One thing. You know you know nothing.

Question is though, does knowing nothing constitute knowing something?

No, it doesn't. Knowing nothing means you're dead.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
19 Feb 17

Originally posted by twhitehead
You cannot know that you know nothing. You can think you know nothing, but that is not knowledge, that is belief. (false belief. Knowledge is true belief).
Knowledge is information. Belief is a judgment based on knowledge. Knowledge plus experience equals wisdom.

Wisdom dispels false knowledge.

Cape Town

Moves
19 Feb 17

Originally posted by josephw
Knowledge is information.
That depends on context. The word can either simply mean 'information' or it can refer to the state of knowing something (holding a true belief).

Belief is a judgment based on knowledge.
Er, not in any dictionary I've ever seen. Do you have any references?

Knowledge plus experience equals wisdom.

But you clearly have not dispelled false knowledge. So did you clack experience or knowledge?

rain

Moves
19 Feb 17

Knowledge is information. Belief is a judgment based on knowledge. Knowledge plus experience equals wisdom.

Not necessarily. The wisest, most knowledgeable ancient men believed the sun revolved around the earth.

E

Moves
19 Feb 17

Originally posted by vivify
Not necessarily. The wisest, most knowledgeable ancient men believed the sun revolved around the earth.
Which should call into question what we think we know is true.

Cryogenically frozen

Moves
19 Feb 17

I agree that belief in general is a judgement based on knowledge, but don't think this is the case for 'religious belief'.

Religious belief is a judgement based on faith, not knowledge. Indeed, on occasions, religious belief is a judgement that goes against knowledge.

True story.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
19 Feb 17

Originally posted by twhitehead
That depends on context. The word can either simply mean 'information' or it can refer to the state of knowing something (holding a true belief).

[b]Belief is a judgment based on knowledge.

Er, not in any dictionary I've ever seen. Do you have any references?

Knowledge plus experience equals wisdom.

But you clearly have not dispelled false knowledge. So did you clack experience or knowledge?[/b]
"So did you clack experience or knowledge?"

I do quite a bit of clacking. πŸ˜‰

I know, therefore I believe. What I know plus experience gives me the wisdom to know the difference between what is true or false.

Or something like that. But I don't know everything, nor do I have all experience, so I can't claim to be infallible.

Only God is infallible, and knowing that means I can be honest with myself. Ergo I need God.

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
19 Feb 17

Originally posted by vivify
That's what they tell me, but I'm not so sure that's true. What if it is true?

Just maybe, considering the universe is expanding, the earth is the center of the universe. For all we know the earth is stationary, and it only appears to be moving because everything else is moving around it.

Weird eh? πŸ˜‰

A fun title

Scoffer Mocker

Moves
19 Feb 17

Originally posted by Ghost of a Duke
I agree that belief in general is a judgement based on knowledge, but don't think this is the case for 'religious belief'.

Religious belief is a judgement based on faith, not knowledge. Indeed, on occasions, religious belief is a judgement that goes against knowledge.

True story.
"Religious belief is a judgement based on faith, not knowledge."

You and I have a different definition of what religion is. The reason why is because I know the difference between religion and faith.

What's more is I know what faith is.

My faith is based in knowledge, not in "oh gee, I sure hope it's true that Jesus rose from the grave so that I can live forever too".

Faith has nothing to do with wishing and hoping. Faith comes from hearing and believing the truth. Faith is based on pure unadulterated knowledge of the truth.

F

Moves
19 Feb 17

Faith comes from hearing and believing the truth. Faith is based on pure unadulterated knowledge of the truth.
What "pure unadulterated knowledge of the truth" do you think Islamic or Hindu faith are based on?

a
Not actually a cat

The Flat Earth

Moves
20 Feb 17

So that's a known unknown?